reason on mac - certifiable newb questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

Hi all - Finally getting the time to get my setup with Reason going in earnest. I'm running into problems with my midi controller and Reason.

I come from a Windows background but am now exclusively on a mac setup. I'm using an older Mac Pro and Reason 6.5. I also have the latest version of Reason on my Macbook Pro but don't prefer the small screen and like working on the bigger setup. Actually, other reasons to use this setup too but I won't bother you with that. Yes, I will eventually remedy this situation.

So ... being new to Mac, the Audio-Midi setup has me flummoxed. I have a Korg Minilogue (usb) setup in MacOS. USB cable out from Korg to USB in on Mac. In audio-midi setup it adds the Korg and shows an active "port 1" and "port 2" for midi. However, in Reason, the rack shows "NO MIDI IN".

Am I missing something here? Do I need to go through an interface instead of just cable in?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
-kinkujin
Last edited by kinkujin on 10 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

eusti

10 Jan 2019

Totally guessing here... Did you run an installer for the Korg USB?

D.

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

eusti wrote:
10 Jan 2019

D.
As in, driver? No I did not. Thank you.

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

double post, oops

madmacman

10 Jan 2019

eusti wrote:
10 Jan 2019

D.
I don't own the Minilogue myself, but usually most of the USB stuff on Mac is class compliant, which means we live in a happy driverless world (unlike Windows users). :puf_smile:

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

madmacman wrote:
10 Jan 2019
eusti wrote:
10 Jan 2019

D.
I don't own the Minilogue myself, but usually most of the USB stuff on Mac is class compliant, which means we live in a happy driverless world (unlike Windows users). :puf_smile:
Yes, and that was a main draw for me and this platform, I must say.

I pretty much expected a painless install process. I guess tonight I'll try another synth, maybe my MiniNova, just to be more scientific. Thanks again guys.
-kinkujin

eusti

10 Jan 2019

madmacman wrote:
10 Jan 2019
I hear you, but my recent experiences with Roland Boutique series instruments taught me that that isn’t always the case. ;)

D.

madmacman

10 Jan 2019

eusti wrote:
10 Jan 2019
madmacman wrote:
10 Jan 2019
I hear you, but my recent experiences with Roland Boutique series instruments taught me that that isn’t always the case. ;)

D.
Yeah, unfortunately there are always exceptions from the rule. :( I remember early M-Audio Midisport 2x2 interfaces not only had drivers on Mac, but also required kernel extensions! :shock:

MannequinRaces

10 Jan 2019

Are you having problems with audio or MIDI? If you want sound out of the Korg you'll need to use an audio interface. Port 1 and Port 2 are referring to the actual MIDI connectors, not USB. Under 'Preferences -> Control Surfaces' in Reason do you have your Korg added there or is it showing up?

16161d

10 Jan 2019

Until you upgrade to Reason 7 or beyond, you won't have any midi out capabilities. Reason 7 introduced the External MIDI Instrument (please correct me if i'm wrong as it's been a long time and I could only find one source for the EMI being added with R7) which allows you to sequence and control external gear using MIDI.

You should however still be able to use the Minilogue as a MIDI keyboard by going to Preferences > Control Surfaces > Add Manually > Manufacturer <Other>, and then under MIDI Input it should detect your minilogue. You shouldn't have to worry about playing around with your Macs Audio MIDI Setup application. If it is not listed, try installing the KORG USB-MIDI drivers - https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /544/1357/ , as some KORG gear needs these even on OSX.

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
10 Jan 2019
Are you having problems with audio or MIDI? If you want sound out of the Korg you'll need to use an audio interface. Port 1 and Port 2 are referring to the actual MIDI connectors, not USB. Under 'Preferences -> Control Surfaces' in Reason do you have your Korg added there or is it showing up?
Midi only is my quest, at this time. Thanks.

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

16161d wrote:
10 Jan 2019
Until you upgrade to Reason 7 or beyond, you won't have any midi out capabilities. Reason 7 introduced the External MIDI Instrument (please correct me if i'm wrong as it's been a long time and I could only find one source for the EMI being added with R7) which allows you to sequence and control external gear using MIDI.

You should however still be able to use the Minilogue as a MIDI keyboard by going to Preferences > Control Surfaces > Add Manually > Manufacturer <Other>, and then under MIDI Input it should detect your minilogue. You shouldn't have to worry about playing around with your Macs Audio MIDI Setup application. If it is not listed, try installing the KORG USB-MIDI drivers - https://www.korg.com/us/support/downloa ... /544/1357/ , as some KORG gear needs these even on OSX.
Aha! I will check this. Yes, I'm trying to use the Minilogue as a keyboard controller for Midi IN, so it looks like your directions on spot on. I'll report back and thanks again everyone!

m.arthur

10 Jan 2019

You shouldn't need to mess with your OSX audio / MIDI settings at all, actually. If the synth is plugged in via USB, you simply add it via Reason's prefs page, and that is that....

kinkujin

10 Jan 2019

m.arthur wrote:
10 Jan 2019
You shouldn't need to mess with your OSX audio / MIDI settings at all, actually. If the synth is plugged in via USB, you simply add it via Reason's prefs page, and that is that....
All right then! I'm on it and will certainly report back. Thank you.

kinkujin

11 Jan 2019

OK all, update ... success! Merely opened preferences in Reason. Added "Korg", selected a note on keyboard, it was recognized and voila, it was done.

Thanks all for your help. I'm off and running.

16161d

11 Jan 2019

kinkujin wrote:
11 Jan 2019
OK all, update ... success! Merely opened preferences in Reason. Added "Korg", selected a note on keyboard, it was recognized and voila, it was done.

I believe you can also use some of the knobs on the minilogue to control stuff in reason, though I've not tried this myself, might be worth checking out, have fun!

kinkujin

11 Jan 2019

16161d wrote:
11 Jan 2019
kinkujin wrote:
11 Jan 2019

I believe you can also use some of the knobs on the minilogue to control stuff in reason, though I've not tried this myself, might be worth checking out, have fun!
I was wondering this and will certainly investigate. Thanks for that!

• Information