Propellerhead Partners with MIND Music Labs For Rack Extension Hardware Integration

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
rcbuse
RE Developer

09 Jan 2019

NEAT

Music instrument makers can now access Propellerhead’s Rack Extension technology through MIND’s innovative ELK OS, which provides ultra-low latency DSP on a powerful, flexible and cost-effective hardware platform.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden – January 9, 2018 - Propellerhead Software today announced a partnership with MIND Music Labs, enabling manufacturers to run Rack Extension plugins on instruments and music hardware products with ultra-low latency. This provides hardware manufacturers with an incredibly scalable, powerful, and cost-effective way to incorporate Propellerhead’s future-proof Rack Extension platform into hardware synthesizers and effects using widely available ARM & X86 processors.
https://ask.audio/articles/propellerhea ... ntegration

Loque

09 Jan 2019

It was just a matter of time...thanks for heads up!
Reason12, Win10

eusti

09 Jan 2019

So, what does mean for us practically now? Which are devices that can run ELK & Reason REs now?

D.

antic604

09 Jan 2019

Good to see that happening, but somehow I'm not THAT excited. I see nothing appealing in being able to run Expanse or Parsec on some Raspberry Pi, mobile device or a general-purpose "synth" (I guess like Roland's System-1?). The way they describe ELK is that it's designed for "embedded systems" (and not PCs), which to me means fridges, cars, wearables, etc. so what's the point?

I understand that for Props it is an opportunity to get a foot early in the door and maybe position RE as a new standard for audio devices in those areas which I guess is appealing business-wise for both them and 3rd party RE devs, so I get it.

As a user, you all know where I'd rather see Props allocating their financial & human resources, but I won't get there ;) :D

antic604

09 Jan 2019

eusti wrote:
09 Jan 2019
So, what does mean for us practically now? Which are devices that can run ELK & Reason REs now?

D.
When you open your fridge and the hinges are not oiled properly, instead of it screeching itself you'll have Europa play the screeching, wobbly reese sound :puf_bigsmile:

artotaku

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Good to see that happening, but somehow I'm not THAT excited.
That´s the sole purpose of the marketing department. As soon as the technical feasibility is proved they will make it exciting for you :puf_bigsmile:

Koshdukai

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Good to see that happening, but somehow I'm not THAT excited. I see nothing appealing in being able to run Expanse or Parsec on some Raspberry Pi, mobile device or a general-purpose "synth" (I guess like Roland's System-1?). The way they describe ELK is that it's designed for "embedded systems" (and not PCs), which to me means fridges, cars, wearables, etc. so what's the point?
Hardware (digital) synths/effects. Just and simply that.

If you're not into (digital instruments/effects) hardware, this doesn't apply to you.

...but, one might start seeing hardware mixers including RE slots for FX.

bxbrkrz

09 Jan 2019

rcbuse wrote:
09 Jan 2019
NEAT

Music instrument makers can now access Propellerhead’s Rack Extension technology through MIND’s innovative ELK OS, which provides ultra-low latency DSP on a powerful, flexible and cost-effective hardware platform.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden – January 9, 2018 - Propellerhead Software today announced a partnership with MIND Music Labs, enabling manufacturers to run Rack Extension plugins on instruments and music hardware products with ultra-low latency. This provides hardware manufacturers with an incredibly scalable, powerful, and cost-effective way to incorporate Propellerhead’s future-proof Rack Extension platform into hardware synthesizers and effects using widely available ARM & X86 processors.
https://ask.audio/articles/propellerhea ... ntegration
I do not understand how some people here can't see how amazing that news is for Props and devs like yourself. It must be a lack of imagination, or some deep... Hold on. I see it now. Always negative.

CONGRATS to all your future REs running on anything not shaped like a big PC or laptop. Congrats to your future income. :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

antic604

09 Jan 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
09 Jan 2019
I do not understand how some people here can't see how amazing that news is for Props and devs like yourself. It must be a lack of imagination, or some deep... Hold on. I see it now. Always negative.
Assuming you're talking about me, please re-read my post - I specifically said how I understand that it's exciting for Props and 3rd party RE devs.

I just said it wasn't an exciting prospect for *me* personally :)

antic604

09 Jan 2019

Koshdukai wrote:
09 Jan 2019
If you're not into (digital instruments/effects) hardware, this doesn't apply to you.
That's the thing. I am, but - at least in a hybrid computer+hardware setup - I don't see a point. Why would I want my hardware synth to sound like Parsec, if I can get that from Reason running on my PC. I'd rather my hardware sound different.

But again, that's my personal preference and I see the business potential of this and how this can be appealing to hardware-only people.

Koshdukai

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Koshdukai wrote:
09 Jan 2019
That's the thing. I am, but - at least in a hybrid computer+hardware setup - I don't see a point. Why would I want my hardware synth to sound like Parsec, if I can get that from Reason running on my PC. I'd rather my hardware sound different.

But again, that's my personal preference and I see the business potential of this and how this can be appealing to hardware-only people.
Instruments-wise, yup, agreed, when using an hybrid system... though, it would also help live performers use the DAW at the studio and bring the same instruments to the stage DAWless.

Also... those "Reason-less lost souls" may still access REs through this tech, when wanting a specific RE set, etc ;)

dioxide

09 Jan 2019

I'm not in the market for hardware but for developers it opens up the possibility for them to have their RE as a Eurorack module for instance. I think it would be a much bigger risk to try and produce a hardware version of a synth with many parameters, but if your product is an LFO or an audio effect with only a few controls, then you could probably start selling hardware versions.

EnochLight

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Good to see that happening, but somehow I'm not THAT excited. I see nothing appealing in being able to run Expanse or Parsec on some Raspberry Pi, mobile device or a general-purpose "synth" (I guess like Roland's System-1?).
Well, if you're not a touring musician/band/artist or hobbyist that needs to play on stage with hardware, then this probably won't be exciting to you.
antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
The way they describe ELK is that it's designed for "embedded systems" (and not PCs), which to me means fridges, cars, wearables, etc. so what's the point?
See above. This basically means that it will be easy to make hardware versions of any Rack Extension, be it effect or instrument or utility. How that applies in the real world will of course depend on your needs.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

09 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Well, if you're not a touring musician/band/artist or hobbyist that needs to play on stage with hardware, then this probably won't be exciting to you.

See above. This basically means that it will be easy to make hardware versions of any Rack Extension, be it effect or instrument or utility. How that applies in the real world will of course depend on your needs.
That's exactly what I said. I'm not sure why it has to be rephrased or explained to me. But thanks :)

joeyluck

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Koshdukai wrote:
09 Jan 2019

I don't know what applications it will have, I know little of the tech, ELK, and what we might see specifically, but I can imagine some things that would be cool in terms of REs on hardware...

Maybe you're just seeing yourself with a hardware synth tethered to your same computer setup? Maybe you're not thinking of possibilities such as a great workflow of a synth that has 1 to 1 controls? Is a certain synth a little heavy on CPU? Well maybe you can have it running on hardware independent of your computer? Maybe a fun, portable gadget you can play that is free from everything? A hardware synth that incorporates several REs and not just one? Rack/Eurorack devices with CV to make a real-life Reason rack? Maybe some RE developers partner with popular hardware manufacturers to include their effects in their next hardware synth?

I'm interested to see what happens for sure.

EnochLight

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
EnochLight wrote:
09 Jan 2019

That's exactly what I said. I'm not sure why it has to be rephrased or explained to me. But thanks :)
This thread is happening way too fast to respond in realtime, me thinks. I missed some prior responses... ;)

But it was this I was most responding to:
The way they describe ELK is that it's designed for "embedded systems" (and not PCs), which to me means fridges, cars, wearables, etc. so what's the point?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

esselfortium

09 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019

This thread is happening way too fast to respond in realtime, me thinks. I missed some prior responses... ;)

But it was this I was most responding to:
If some people don't see the value in a wearable fridge instrument then I don't know what to tell them.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

antic604

09 Jan 2019

esselfortium wrote:
09 Jan 2019
If some people don't see the value in a wearable fridge instrument then I don't know what to tell them.
Guilty as charged ;) :puf_bigsmile:

stp2015

09 Jan 2019

Would certainly be nice to have a foot pedal that can run my Kuassa REs!

EnochLight

09 Jan 2019

esselfortium wrote:
09 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Guilty as charged ;) :puf_bigsmile:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jayhosking

09 Jan 2019

Imagining a piece of hardware with the corresponding layout and knobs/faders for any of my favourite REs is very, very exciting to me. Just imagine an Antidote piece of hardware, with 1:1 control of parameters. Over the last year, I've fallen in love with hardware, not because of the sound, but because having that immediate, tactile control and feedback, creating sounds without looking at a screen, is way more inspiring than staying in the box. I don't imagine I'll be into this if they create a general-purpose piece of hardware, as the Nektar Panorama didn't do it for me, but if they have well-designed hardware that matches the RE layouts, I would buy a bunch of these in a second.

MrBlue

09 Jan 2019

Imagine Maelström, Europa, Subtractor, your favorite synth... etc + Sensus !

EnochLight

09 Jan 2019

A hardware version of Syncronous with a touch-screen would be bad ass and make for some awesome stage performance. I can think of another dozen RE's I'd love to have as hardware!

4filegate

09 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 Jan 2019
A hardware version of Syncronous with a touch-screen would be bad ass and make for some awesome stage performance. I can think of another dozen RE's I'd love to have as hardware!
https://www.creal3d.com/ smart glasses - the next generation controller in the world of Mixed Reality (MR)
Virtual objects can be seamlessly fused into the real world. There's a reason for this!

Ultimately, however, the result counts and not the tool.

ltbrunt00

09 Jan 2019

Congrats to the Props. I always love to see the products I use keep innovating. You have to give them credit for changing with the market.

This could be a trojan horse for getting other companies to support rack extensions.

What if Blamsoft released the Expanse/VK-2/Zero all in one standalone synth. Some users of another DAW may find out that the Expanse software built into the synth could run natively in a DAW as a plugin. They find out it is only natively supported in Reason. That user loves their DAW wants the plugin but doesn't want to purchase Reason. This could put pressure on other DAW makers to integrate Rack Extensions in their DAW. Anything is possible. This is software and all the Props would have to do is build a Plugin Container like Kontakt that would allow for routing between the RE devices.

I am a user of Bitwig and Studio one and would absolutely love to use the RE format in my other DAW applications.

This could help Rack Extension only developers get access to more users which could lead to more money which could lead to more Rack Extensions.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

• Information