SSL Pre- & Post-FX: Spectrum, Oscilloscope, Stereo Correlation

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
antic604

08 Jan 2019

One of the best things about Reason is the SSL mixer!

When I'm in other DAWs, I really miss the hands-on workflow of the filters, EQ, dynamics, sends in other DAWs and frequently also hit F2 to quickly check or adjust the frequency output and I'm disappointed it's not there... However, it's not completely perfect ;) :roll:

I'd love to see the following improvements to how the F2 works:
- add the possibility to switch the display (or add to it) with Oscilloscope and Stereo Field correlation meter,
- make Spectrum, Oscilloscope and Stereo Field display pre-mix channel, post-mix channel or both signals simultaneously, for easy comparison of how the settings impact the signal (it currently requires sending the signal to a bus and comparing bus' out with original's parallel out),
- add ability to F2 on the Master, with all of the above.

WongoTheSane

08 Jan 2019

I agree. As a workaround, I use Melda Production's free MFreeFXBundle. Just in case you don't know what it is, here are screenshots of the oscilloscope, correlation meter and spectrum analyzer:

analyzer.PNG
analyzer.PNG (405.08 KiB) Viewed 573 times
oscilloscope.PNG
oscilloscope.PNG (141.99 KiB) Viewed 573 times
stereoscope.PNG
stereoscope.PNG (160.04 KiB) Viewed 573 times

All are super easy on the CPU. The analyzer has the added advantage, compared to Reason's native one, to be super fast (really, it's amazing) and to display the peaks as notes.

The whole bundle has 25 various effects, all well done (if you set aside the interface, which isn't very nice, but at least is coherent across devices): Autopan, Autopitch, Bandpass, Bit crusher, Comb filter, Convolution, Eq, Flanger, Phaser, Ring modulator, Saturator, Phase mangler, Freq shifter, Loudness analyzer, Noise generator, Oscillator, Stereo expander, etc.

In the free version, you can't resize the windows, save/load presets, use upsampling, or have the sonogram in Eqs and analyzers. The price for the full bundle is 49€. But unless you plan to use those features, the free version is really amazing. I've updated my default song to use the spectrum analyzer on the master, and I'm not using F2 anymore :)

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle

antic604

08 Jan 2019

Thanks, but I bought Reason to use Reason and its REs. No VST solutions for me. And I hate Melda's GUIs, so that's double no :) ;)

• Information