Do you think Liam Howlett owns the latest copy of Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

07 Jan 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
03 Jan 2019
He was already killing it with a W30, doesn't matter the tool he uses for us the jilted generation.

Tried

Sorry to go off subject slightly here but does anyone know where I can buy good 16bit stereo rave stabs and samples from similar to some on those disks? Tried Zenhiser but they were over-processed and didn't sound authentic (unless that was just the demo but then I could buy them and then find out they're the same, reverbed etc), couldn't find anything on loopmasters either and I bought some called DMS Old Skool ages ago which has everything I wanted on there, about 100 samples and they're decent quality but they're like wah wah'd / tremelo'd so the sample might be 5 - 6 seconds but they're virtually unsuable 'cause you only get a second before it's wah'd or tremelo'd.

I want the Landlord stab and the Brazil - Spectrum stab etc. I've tried Zero G Datafile 1 btw and they're just mainly drum breaks and weren't great quality.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

splangie

07 Jan 2019

The Expressway cut. I saw the Firestarter video and lost a girlfriend after my next haircut.

oh, and yes.

dioxide

07 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
07 Jan 2019
bxbrkrz wrote:
03 Jan 2019
He was already killing it with a W30, doesn't matter the tool he uses for us the jilted generation.

Tried

Sorry to go off subject slightly here but does anyone know where I can buy good 16bit stereo rave stabs and samples from similar to some on those disks? Tried Zenhiser but they were over-processed and didn't sound authentic (unless that was just the demo but then I could buy them and then find out they're the same, reverbed etc), couldn't find anything on loopmasters either and I bought some called DMS Old Skool ages ago which has everything I wanted on there, about 100 samples and they're decent quality but they're like wah wah'd / tremelo'd so the sample might be 5 - 6 seconds but they're virtually unsuable 'cause you only get a second before it's wah'd or tremelo'd.

I want the Landlord stab and the Brazil - Spectrum stab etc. I've tried Zero G Datafile 1 btw and they're just mainly drum breaks and weren't great quality.
Do it the old school way. Buy both records on Bandcamp or iTunes, crack them open in an audio editor and cut them out. There weren't such thing as sample packs in 1990.

Reasonable man

08 Jan 2019

Prodigy, Uderworld, Leftfield,Massive attack etc etc etc. Such a golden age for electrotica and experimentation.
It really underlines the argument of looking back to look forward.
The most baffling thing is that most of these guys were producing this stuff on hardware ..cut to dat tape i dont think protools and most of this software was even available.

Heigen5

08 Jan 2019

Reasonable man wrote:
08 Jan 2019
Prodigy, Uderworld, Leftfield,Massive attack etc etc etc. Such a golden age for electrotica and experimentation.
It really underlines the argument of looking back to look forward.
The most baffling thing is that most of these guys were producing this stuff on hardware ..cut to dat tape i dont think protools and most of this software was even available.
Indeed, also Hybrid, Dj Rap and Crystal Method and such did some really cool stuff.

guitfnky

08 Jan 2019

qn5 wrote:
06 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
04 Jan 2019

I’ve been writing coherent songs for 20 years. it IS hard work, but it’s NEVER painful. if it is...you’re doing it wrong. 🙃
Everyone has different creation methods. For some... it's a battle against your doubts, fears and anxiety. I can relate.
Brian Wilson essentially lost his mind trying to create Smile (the drugs didn't help but still). Artists are a self-flagellating bunch... it's not unheard of.
To say it isn't painful for some is to ignore masterpieces created by those who struggle with themselves.
Liam is a genius... doesn't surprise me.
I don’t disagree that ‘tortured artists’ have produced a lot of incredible, important music. I’m just saying that the torture doesn’t have to result from the music (external pressures like deadlines or shitty band members notwithstanding—still, they’re avoidable). there will always be parts of the process that a particular person isn’t going to like, and I’ve worked with difficult musicians—hell, I *am* one! 😆—so I know the process is not without headaches. but at the end of the day, those are small annoyances. I can’t even fathom why someone would create music, or any kind of art if it made them miserable. to me, that’s a choice (and a strange one, at that).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

qn5

03 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Jan 2019
qn5 wrote:
06 Jan 2019

Everyone has different creation methods. For some... it's a battle against your doubts, fears and anxiety. I can relate.
Brian Wilson essentially lost his mind trying to create Smile (the drugs didn't help but still). Artists are a self-flagellating bunch... it's not unheard of.
To say it isn't painful for some is to ignore masterpieces created by those who struggle with themselves.
Liam is a genius... doesn't surprise me.
I don’t disagree that ‘tortured artists’ have produced a lot of incredible, important music. I’m just saying that the torture doesn’t have to result from the music (external pressures like deadlines or shitty band members notwithstanding—still, they’re avoidable). there will always be parts of the process that a particular person isn’t going to like, and I’ve worked with difficult musicians—hell, I *am* one! 😆—so I know the process is not without headaches. but at the end of the day, those are small annoyances. I can’t even fathom why someone would create music, or any kind of art if it made them miserable. to me, that’s a choice (and a strange one, at that).
For some people... it's a compulsion. Not a choice. I can relate.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

bxbrkrz

03 Feb 2019

Off topic
-
I think he should use Reason too.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Jagwah

03 Feb 2019

I got two green mohawks like Keith when I saw them live in my city many moons ago. They headlined (played last) and I remember sadly having to leave halfway through their set due to sheer exhaustion and mega sunburn on my head from moshing all day. Good times.

@OP Yeah I think he probably has a spotty teenager assistant who cleans all his gear and keeps all his DAWs and VSTs updated.

guitfnky

03 Feb 2019

qn5 wrote:
03 Feb 2019
guitfnky wrote:
08 Jan 2019

For some people... it's a compulsion. Not a choice. I can relate.
nah, it’s definitely a choice. making music is nothing like getting addicted to meth. 😂

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Jan 2019

We are not all the same.

Some people experience life differently to the rest of us. For example, people with mental conditions such as schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder. Some of those people are musicians.

Calling it torture doesn't mean it made them miserable. It may just be a painful process until the euphoric climax. Just as some people engage in masochism, pain or even torture can also be a part of one's bliss.

Heigen5

04 Feb 2019

I know a saying "the best art comes from a suffery". But anyway, suffery or not suffery, art making can be painful, and if you're never not, you either are un-empathic or just different.

Creativemind

04 Feb 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Off topic
-
I think he should use Reason too.
What software is he using there?

fullforce

04 Feb 2019

Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2019

That's Cubase.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

jlgrimes

04 Feb 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Jan 2019
He should really. :thumbs_up:
Actually he is beta testing 10.3.1

No new release of Reason goes out to the public without getting approved via Liam first.

Creativemind

04 Feb 2019

fullforce wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Creativemind wrote:
04 Feb 2019

That's Cubase.
Where's that like button gone. :cry:

guitfnky

04 Feb 2019

avasopht wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Calling it torture doesn't mean it made them miserable. It may just be a painful process until the euphoric climax. Just as some people engage in masochism, pain or even torture can also be a part of one's bliss.
this really only reinforces my point. if the entire process is arduous, or painful, but you do it anyway, for a fleeting moment of enjoyment at the end, it’s probably not something that’s particularly healthy for you. it certainly doesn’t strike me as a smart way to spend one’s time.

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Feb 2019
this really only reinforces my point. if the entire process is arduous, or painful, but you do it anyway, for a fleeting moment of enjoyment at the end, it’s probably not something that’s particularly healthy for you. it certainly doesn’t strike me as a smart way to spend one’s time.
For some people that's just the only way they function. Neutral, or flittering between polar opposite states, but doing so while producing exceptional work.

There is some study showing that those who's neurochemical balances / functioning deviate from the norm can have a higher predisposition towards mental illness and / or excellence depending on childhood environments (home, school, neighbourhood, etc.)

Worth reading: Bipolar Disorder and Creativity - What explains the link between bipolar disorder and creativity?

Not to suggest Howlett is bipolar, just showing you that things aren't always as simple as you might imagine, especially in the creative arts.

Jagwah

04 Feb 2019

I find the torture of the production process infuriating. If I spend too many hours producing it usually ends in another hole in the wall or a trip down the store for a new monitor that hasn't been punched in half. My last house mate moved out because every time I got a beat going I threatened to kill him, now nobody will live with me and that makes me even more mad :(

plaamook

04 Feb 2019

Jagwah wrote:
04 Feb 2019
I find the torture of the production process infuriating. If I spend too many hours producing it usually ends in another hole in the wall or a trip down the store for a new monitor that hasn't been punched in half. My last house mate moved out because every time I got a beat going I threatened to kill him, now nobody will live with me and that makes me even more mad :(
Hah hah ha!
Yeah, I know that one. Early on, when I was still trying to figure out what I actually wated music to do and trying to develope the confidence to keep marching even though i was usually lost in the jungle, I was a basket case. Everyone around me, and I didn't have any musician friends at the time, just scratching their heads over why I was putting myself AND THEM through it all. What a roller coster.

Pretty smooth these days though. Took a lot of work to get to the point of really enjoying it. And it still has it's moments.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

04 Feb 2019

If I was a betting man I'd guess Props just give Liam copies for free.

Friend of mins that I produce with/around/etc who's done pretty well got a free copy of Reason 7 or 8. Which was funny becaue he's a logic/hardware man only and used to tease me about using Reason. So I buy an upgrade and few days later he asks me if i want a free copy of Reason! Madness.

Or here.

Jagwah

05 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Jagwah wrote:
04 Feb 2019
Hah hah ha!
Yeah, I know that one. Early on, when I was still trying to figure out what I actually wated music to do and trying to develope the confidence to keep marching even though i was usually lost in the jungle, I was a basket case. Everyone around me, and I didn't have any musician friends at the time, just scratching their heads over why I was putting myself AND THEM through it all. What a roller coster.

Pretty smooth these days though. Took a lot of work to get to the point of really enjoying it. And it still has it's moments.
Yeah I remember the beginning being painful, but I think this is the same for many softwares in the beginning.

One thing that could be considered torture in this process in my opinion is finishing a track that has taken weeks, and at the mix down stage you lose your enthusiasm for what you have now heard many hundreds of times. Pushing on and on to try and get it to a state you are happy calling finished, can be a bit painful. I have given up on tracks like this in the past, and coming back to it much later isn't easy.

Also I agree people like Liam likely get DAW and VST and merchandise freebies.

plaamook

06 Feb 2019

Jagwah wrote:
05 Feb 2019
One thing that could be considered torture in this process in my opinion is finishing a track that has taken weeks, and at the mix down stage you lose your enthusiasm for what you have now heard many hundreds of times. Pushing on and on to try and get it to a state you are happy calling finished, can be a bit painful. I have given up on tracks like this in the past, and coming back to it much later isn't easy.
I always just give up at that point. There's nothing I've ever done at that point that was worth keeping. If I beat a track that hard for sure it will be dead! In theory I might at some point push past this but so far it's not happened. And I've never managed to unearth them at any future point. What I have done is hacked them apart to get things out of them. Kinda like Bishop in Alien 3...

Or here.

Jagwah

07 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
06 Feb 2019
Jagwah wrote:
05 Feb 2019
I always just give up at that point. There's nothing I've ever done at that point that was worth keeping. If I beat a track that hard for sure it will be dead! In theory I might at some point push past this but so far it's not happened. And I've never managed to unearth them at any future point. What I have done is hacked them apart to get things out of them. Kinda like Bishop in Alien 3...
Yes hacking these apart works well as usually the elements already fit well and might be mixed down too.

I think these unfinished works are worth keeping, they were before we reached a fatigued state with them...

I'm wondering if this conversation could lead to us having a moment to share some unfinished / never to be finished work. I had a big one I was working on and even had a Reason friend remix it before I had finished, then I went and made a ridiculous stuttered mid section that took too many hours, and then it had just been too long and it fizzled out. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind sharing it in a 'let's share unfinished work' thread. My Reason rig is packed away but can be set up where I am staying atm, let me know what you think. :)

plaamook

07 Feb 2019

Jagwah wrote:
07 Feb 2019
plaamook wrote:
06 Feb 2019

Yes hacking these apart works well as usually the elements already fit well and might be mixed down too.

I think these unfinished works are worth keeping, they were before we reached a fatigued state with them...

I'm wondering if this conversation could lead to us having a moment to share some unfinished / never to be finished work. I had a big one I was working on and even had a Reason friend remix it before I had finished, then I went and made a ridiculous stuttered mid section that took too many hours, and then it had just been too long and it fizzled out. Now that I think of it, I wouldn't mind sharing it in a 'let's share unfinished work' thread. My Reason rig is packed away but can be set up where I am staying atm, let me know what you think. :)
In theory, sure. Though I'm not sure what I'd post up here right off. Have to think about it, but I'm sure there would be others interested round here.

Or here.

• Information