USB expression pedals

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

I recently bought an electric guitar (weee!). Unfortunately, my Nektar Impact lx49 does not support an expression pedal and it feels a little excessive to buy a new midi-keyboard for that reason alone. Line 6 FBV Shortboard MK II seems to be a sturdy thing, but a little pricey for me. I was hoping there was something like the Roland EV-5 but with usb rather than a jack. Do any of the reason guitar people here have any recommendations?
:reason: 12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

I've been thinking about getting an expression pedal myself just for using with the Kuassa wah. I know there's a whole load of USB models out there...plug in and express yourself. Don't have any recommendations though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

Yep, I got the Kuassa wah as well, which is the main motivation for getting one. I was hoping to find something to buy over the counter rather than over the internet, but my local store seems to be all about boards like the aforementioned Line 6 FBV. Will have to try to find something and have them order it.

esselfortium

12 Dec 2018

As an alternate (and much cheaper) option for recording expression and other controls, have you looked into TouchOSC?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

Thomann usually pretty good for such things.
Wouldn’t advise Line 6. Haven’t had good experiences with either their products or their customer service.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

esselfortium wrote:
12 Dec 2018
As an alternate (and much cheaper) option for recording expression and other controls, have you looked into TouchOSC?
Wow, thanks! That is certainly a thing. Even has android support for once! Will check it out, but it seems hard to control while playing.
MrFigg wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Wouldn’t advise Line 6. Haven’t had good experiences with either their products or their customer service.
Thanks! I've only had two line6 products and they vanished in thin air, so I am not surprised to hear that people don't find them very reliable. Never heard of Thomann, will have a look.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

Adabler wrote:
12 Dec 2018
esselfortium wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Wow, thanks! That is certainly a thing. Even has android support for once! Will check it out, but it seems hard to control while playing.
MrFigg wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Thanks! I've only had two line6 products and they vanished in thin air, so I am not surprised to hear that people don't find them very reliable. Never heard of Thomann, will have a look.
Don't bother. I was just in myself and everything has TS 1/4" plugs...no USB. I've googled and googled but can't find anything. Let me know if you have better luck.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arqui

16 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Line 6 FBV Shortboard MK II, work perfect for me...
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

ankely

16 Dec 2018

This is very handy:

3 switches, expression pedal input, programmable.

Logidy UMI3

http://www.logidy.com/?pid=1

I use this with Combinators to do Guitar pedal switching and Wah/Volume stuff.

Hope this helps.

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2018

ankely wrote:
16 Dec 2018
Logidy UMI3 - I use this with Combinators to do Guitar pedal switching and Wah/Volume stuff.
It seems the only way to get an expression pedal up and running is to buy another thing and plug it into that. I've found this:

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

I will try to order one, buy a Roland pedal and make a new thread complaining about it not working in a month or so. :)

Adabler
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

The thing is now somewhere betwixt Taiwan and Norway. Now that I no longer need an USB-pedal, there are a million different pedals to choose from. Would the Roland EV-5 be fine or should I read up on some alternatives?

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

The thing arrived:
dings.jpg
dings.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
They have a cool looking software:
pedalprogram.jpg
pedalprogram.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
The vst seems to be working fine in reason and immediately recognized my sustain pedal. Will get an ev-5 later this week. I'm really excited, hopefully it'll work as planned! Wah-wah!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

I just looked and there's an expression pedal in on my KB37. I'm guessing that does the same thing. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jan 2019
I just looked and there's an expression pedal in on my KB37. I'm guessing that does the same thing. :)
Indeed! You are all set!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

Adabler wrote:
07 Jan 2019
The thing arrived:
dings.jpg

They have a cool looking software:
dings.jpg

The vst seems to be working fine in reason and immediately recognized my sustain pedal. Will get an ev-5 later this week. I'm really excited, hopefully it'll work as planned! Wah-wah!
They’re pretty dear I think. Did you have to pay customs duties seeing as it came from outside the EU. They’re pretty hard in that here in Sweden?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jan 2019
They’re pretty dear I think. Did you have to pay customs duties seeing as it came from outside the EU. They’re pretty hard in that here in Sweden?
No, I did not. I payed $49 via paypal and expected to pay some sort of customs fee, but all I had to do was sign a thing at the post office. I asked about it, but he said all is good. I checked a customs calculator now since you asked about it, and it says I am supposed to pay about NOK 105 in customs fee and NOK158 in handling fee. Not sure what happened, the price is clearly written on the package.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

Adabler wrote:
07 Jan 2019
MrFigg wrote:
07 Jan 2019
No, I did not. I payed $49 via paypal and expected to pay some sort of customs fee, but all I had to do was sign a thing at the post office. I asked about it, but he said all is good. I checked a customs calculator now since you asked about it, and it says I am supposed to pay about NOK 105 in customs fee and NOK158 in handling fee. Not sure what happened, the price is clearly written on the package.
Yeah...some stuff gets through. A couple of times I've had them trying to get 150SEKfrommefora cd which cost like 30:-. I just usually ignore their demand letters and they have to send the stuff back which actually costs them more in the long run and I get a refund.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Jan 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 Jan 2019
Adabler wrote:
07 Jan 2019

Yeah...some stuff gets through. A couple of times I've had them trying to get 150 SEK from me for a cd which cost like 30:-. I just usually ignore their demand letters and they have to send the stuff back which actually costs them more in the long run and I get a refund.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Adabler
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2019

This whole thing was a huge success! My only regret is that I didn't buy a unit with more inputs. Wah-wah!

• Information