Paralell Compression on Electronic Drums

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
aeox
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
04 Jan 2019
Zac wrote:
04 Jan 2019

I've been watching this thread. And i know you ask a lot of questions in general. Nothing wrong with that... but do you listen to the answers? Aeox posted a reason file above to help. Did you listen to it? Study it? I did and i don't even need to necessarily.

I don't know if you doubt peoples abilities? If so listen to some of their music... aeox for example. Or just can't be bothered to put the work in to improve? Or just want to carry on as you are but want to get reinforcement to blame tools rather than yourself?

It's weird to me whatever it is.
It was actually late when I saw that link and I was in bed on my phone so couldn't download it at the time.

I actually forgot to get onto it the next day, forgot it was there.

The link doesn't seem to be working anymore. Sorry aeox. I appreciate your help. Can you repost that link please?
I removed it because after some thought, I didn't think it was going to help you. Probably would end up confusing you more than anything.

selig
RE Developer

04 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
04 Jan 2019
If you were compressing a kick too, what would you do with the attack and release. I'm guessing you'd want attack at it's quickest amount, so on the M-Class for instance, 1ms, all the way down and release, not sure exactly, in time with the bpm of the track, so at 125bpm which mine is, a 4/4 kick should be 480ms or 4.8s.
That's a little like asking "when you're painting a picture, what brush would you choose?", or "if you're EQ'ing a vocal, what would you do with the frequency and Q?

As always, it depends on answering: what are you trying to accomplish? If you don't start with at least SOME idea of what you're trying to accomplish, you may wander in the desert for years. Not saying you can't just explore, which is good to do when you're learning about a new compressor for example. But in a mix context, I would assume you compress (or EQ, or saturate) something because there is something about the sound/mix you don't like.

So maybe start with asking yourself "what is it you don't like about your kick?". From there, and you can begin to choose settings.
Or you could ask us for more specific answers by providing specific examples and expressing your concerns about the specific elements you're wondering about - make sense?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

04 Jan 2019

Creativemind wrote:
04 Jan 2019
selig wrote:
03 Jan 2019
I agree with Aeox - your kick is around 100Hz and should be half that to really "thump".
My kick, the one in "Move Your Body Tonight" or the one in the solo'd example?
Mainly "move your body tonight", but also to a lesser degree the solo example.
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

04 Jan 2019

I'll just say this and then bow out because Selig and aeox are the guys you want to be listening to...

From what you said about compressor settings earlier... try this instead on your kick... set the attack at a slow setting, 30 to 50 ms or even higher depending on the compressor, set the release to a fast setting (low ms)... this will give it 'punch'... is this what you are after?

• Information