Radical Keys is out of tune!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

04 Jan 2019

Do this:
Add Radical Keys to the rack
Make Rec Source active
Add audio track, select Radical Keys as input and activate the tuner
Play some notes, they are all out of tune.

Wurlitzer, Rhodes, Pianet in all variants, all out of tune.

Haven't used Radical Keys much, but noticed it to be a problem in Reason 10.2.2d1

ScuzzyEye

04 Jan 2019

I'm not at my Reason computer now, so I can't check. But are the low notes flat, and the high notes sharp? That is, does it follow the Railsback curve?

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jan 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
04 Jan 2019
I'm not at my Reason computer now, so I can't check. But are the low notes flat, and the high notes sharp? That is, does it follow the Railsback curve?
no they are all flat

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

04 Jan 2019

Flat by 5-10 cents?

Quickest solution.

Turn the tuner off.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jan 2019

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 18.13.00.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 18.13.00.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 2928 times

DiZo

04 Jan 2019

same here (not a probleme for my ears, but its real!

chimp_spanner

04 Jan 2019

Yeah I have noticed this. Always have to bump it up a few cents with the fine tuner. Weird that it didn't get spotted!

joeyluck

04 Jan 2019

Not at my computer to check. Did you check across the entire range? Might it have to do with possible degree of stretch tuning? Often times, if stretch tuning isn't used and keys are perfectly in tune with each other, they can actually sound out of tune. But again, I've never given it a close look. Did you also check at different velocities?

But a few cents off doesn't sound like a problem (both in description and sound). I've certainly never noticed it. In all honesty, when everything in a track is perfectly in tune with each other, it can sometimes sound dull and not be as lively and have as much character (or sound out of tune, even though according to a tuner it is not). And as others mention, there is a Tune section to adjust it if it doesn't work well within your song.

motuscott

04 Jan 2019

Oh you guys with your perfect and relative pitch. Must be a burden.
I’ve often wondered what that screaming tinnitus in my head is. A tritone I think, horrifically out of tune.
😀
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
04 Jan 2019
Yeah I have noticed this. Always have to bump it up a few cents with the fine tuner. Weird that it didn't get spotted!
I dunno. Off by 6 cents sounds like it could possibly be intentional.
Last edited by avasopht on 07 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jan 2019

joeyluck wrote:
04 Jan 2019
Not at my computer to check. Did you check across the entire range? Might it have to do with possible degree of stretch tuning? Often times, if stretch tuning isn't used and keys are perfectly in tune with each other, they can actually sound out of tune. But again, I've never given it a close look. Did you also check at different velocities?

But a few cents off doesn't sound like a problem (both in description and sound). I've certainly never noticed it. In all honesty, when everything in a track is perfectly in tune with each other, it can sometimes sound dull and not be as lively and have as much character (or sound out of tune, even though according to a tuner it is not). And as others mention, there is a Tune section to adjust it if it doesn't work well within your song.
Yes across full range.

The whole range has a tuning offset. It's not like a natural "not perfect" Rhodes. It simply sounds like an instrument you want to tune. I am a guitar player so tuning is the thing I do a lot :)

guitfnky

04 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Jan 2019
joeyluck wrote:
04 Jan 2019

Yes across full range.

The whole range has a tuning offset. It's not like a natural "not perfect" Rhodes. It simply sounds like an instrument you want to tune. I am a guitar player so tuning is the thing I do a lot :)
I know this is off topic, but as a guitarist myself (and one who abhors the constant need to tune), I’d be remiss if I didn’t take every opportunity to spread the gospel of Evertune bridges for guitars. 😆 I can’t tell you how awesome it is to be able to fire up Reason, arm a track, and start recording without needing to worry whether I’m in tune.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Marco Raaphorst

04 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Jan 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Jan 2019

Yes across full range.

I know this is off topic, but as a guitarist myself (and one who abhors the constant need to tune), I’d be remiss if I didn’t take every opportunity to spread the gospel of Evertune bridges for guitars. 😆 I can’t tell you how awesome it is to be able to fire up Reason, arm a track, and start recording without needing to worry whether I’m in tune.
It is an interesting concept. Must say I am totally happy with my custom Telecaster with heavy custom bridge.

guitfnky

04 Jan 2019

👍🏼 if you ever get the chance to try one out, I recommend it. even if just to see it in action. it’s an ingenious piece of tech.

Kalm

04 Jan 2019

Is that why I would sometimes inherently upturn RP ??? By George I think you've. . .
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

SymphonicDischord

05 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Jan 2019
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Jan 2019

Yes across full range.

I would also say that having locking tuners can make a world of difference as well, not too mention it makes restringing a breeze.

Marco Raaphorst

05 Jan 2019

SymphonicDischord wrote:
05 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
04 Jan 2019

I would also say that having locking tuners can make a world of difference as well, not too mention it makes restringing a breeze.
depends also on the sound you want. I have a Tele which sounds sublime. I am not into heavy overdrive just a slight edge, very dynamic tone.

etyrnal

07 Jan 2019

drift?

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

etyrnal

07 Jan 2019

were Rhodes notoriously flat?

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jan 2019

no drift, all notes are flat. try it yourself.

Marco Raaphorst

07 Jan 2019

etyrnal wrote:
07 Jan 2019
were Rhodes notoriously flat?

Rhodes can be tuned. Friend of my is the Rhodes repair man of Holland. Those sound great. He dislikes the Radical Keys btw. I agree. It sounds nothing like a Rhodes.

guitfnky

07 Jan 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
05 Jan 2019
SymphonicDischord wrote:
05 Jan 2019

depends also on the sound you want. I have a Tele which sounds sublime. I am not into heavy overdrive just a slight edge, very dynamic tone.
true; tone is super important. I use a very wide variety of sounds, but rarely reach for something with a ton of distortion, and it still sounds and plays amazingly.

SoundObjects

13 Jan 2019

The tune of a concert piano pitch (A) can some times be set a little out of tune from the
ISO 440Hz. Found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch
The Universe Is Vibrating

Marco Raaphorst

13 Jan 2019

SoundObjects wrote:
13 Jan 2019
The tune of a concert piano pitch (A) can some times be set a little out of tune from the
ISO 440Hz. Found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch
everything in Reason should be equal temperament 440.

• Information