Allihoopa is closing down :(

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
machinestatic

31 Dec 2018

So... I hate to be one of those people that overshares dramatically on the internet, but I feel driven to pour this story out somewhere and I really hope you guys don't mind.

Although I don't frequent Reason Talk as often as I should, I love both this forum and Allihoopa.

I graduated from Berklee College of Music in 1999 and gave a career a shot, but when my first band failed to find success, I pretty much ran away and hid in a hole. Several years later I joined another band, did not find great success again, and that was it; away I went for years, to make music alone, but sometimes not even opening my music software for months to a year at a time. And when my own family asks me about my music degree and current creations, I just tell them "I don't want to talk about it."

But when Allihoopa (well, "Discover" ;)) was created I slowly got my confidence back, and the first thing I posted was with the infamous joeyluck! I haven't posted much there, but I'm very happy about everything I made, and 1 of my tracks even got shared in an Allihoopa Email newsletter once.

Fast forward to 2018, and I discovered via Allihoopa how much I enjoyed creating a full remix from just using an a cappella track. I thought that was going to be my new doorway into a permanent creative life. I made a couple remixes, messaged the particular singers on their websites, and even though they didn't reply I kept going, and planned to upload another remix this winter. Even my roommates, and my best friend, always ask me "When are you going to post something else to that website?!"

So you can imagine how I felt seeing that "WE ARE CLOSING" graphic on their website. I am... well, honestly, very sad. I can't truthfully say I'm "shocked", but it is a real bummer and I thought the site would last longer, as Propellerhead's passion project. But still, I will fight to keep the motivation to continue without the platform.

In a closing, a couple random things I'm throwing here for anyone who was bored enough (hehe...) to actually read this entire novel.

1. Joeyluck, I know I'm not around much, but thank you for that first track. I'll never forget chatting with you about it on here. Maybe we can... collaborate again? Maybe? Eh?
2. I totally YOLOed it up, and wrote comments on the singers' pages that I remixed. I hope they message me back, but if not, c'est la vie.
3. If any sort of collaboration platform or file sharing comes from this Reason Talk thread, please keep me in the loop.

Thanks for reading. I didn't plan to write this much but screw it, I'm not editing it. :)

machinestatic (Chris)

Loque

01 Jan 2019

machinestatic wrote:
31 Dec 2018
So... I hate to be one of those people that overshares dramatically on the internet, but I feel driven to pour this story out somewhere and I really hope you guys don't mind.

Although I don't frequent Reason Talk as often as I should, I love both this forum and Allihoopa.

I graduated from Berklee College of Music in 1999 and gave a career a shot, but when my first band failed to find success, I pretty much ran away and hid in a hole. Several years later I joined another band, did not find great success again, and that was it; away I went for years, to make music alone, but sometimes not even opening my music software for months to a year at a time. And when my own family asks me about my music degree and current creations, I just tell them "I don't want to talk about it."

But when Allihoopa (well, "Discover" ;)) was created I slowly got my confidence back, and the first thing I posted was with the infamous joeyluck! I haven't posted much there, but I'm very happy about everything I made, and 1 of my tracks even got shared in an Allihoopa Email newsletter once.

Fast forward to 2018, and I discovered via Allihoopa how much I enjoyed creating a full remix from just using an a cappella track. I thought that was going to be my new doorway into a permanent creative life. I made a couple remixes, messaged the particular singers on their websites, and even though they didn't reply I kept going, and planned to upload another remix this winter. Even my roommates, and my best friend, always ask me "When are you going to post something else to that website?!"

So you can imagine how I felt seeing that "WE ARE CLOSING" graphic on their website. I am... well, honestly, very sad. I can't truthfully say I'm "shocked", but it is a real bummer and I thought the site would last longer, as Propellerhead's passion project. But still, I will fight to keep the motivation to continue without the platform.

In a closing, a couple random things I'm throwing here for anyone who was bored enough (hehe...) to actually read this entire novel.

1. Joeyluck, I know I'm not around much, but thank you for that first track. I'll never forget chatting with you about it on here. Maybe we can... collaborate again? Maybe? Eh?
2. I totally YOLOed it up, and wrote comments on the singers' pages that I remixed. I hope they message me back, but if not, c'est la vie.
3. If any sort of collaboration platform or file sharing comes from this Reason Talk thread, please keep me in the loop.

Thanks for reading. I didn't plan to write this much but screw it, I'm not editing it. :)

machinestatic (Chris)
Still looking for a good music sharing platform. Maybe this is for you:
https://drooble.com
Reason12, Win10

bitley

01 Jan 2019

Just realized Reason for browser is here already, that tech is in use at that site.

WeLoveYouToo

01 Jan 2019

Despondo wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I really liked this site since I could quickly send my in-progress Reason tracks as unlisted to Allihoopa and listen to them offline. It sure beat the crap out of exporting a WAV/AIF and then either converting to MP3 and uploading to my smartphone, or uploading to Soundcloud, etc.

What a shame to see this go. Any alternatives out there for easily doing this from Reason?!?!?
yeah, without a direct to mp3 option, this is exactly what i used alihoopa for as well. liten to a mix on the go ad then edit it when i het back to the studio with one button was nice.

WeLoveYouToo

01 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
13 Dec 2018
djs wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I have yet to try Allihoopa. Is it worth it to try before they shutdown?
No. It's being EOL'd by the middle of January. No point bothering now!
ScuzzyEye wrote:
13 Dec 2018
Did Allihoopa ever get any sort of multi-track support? The fact that it was a bounced stereo mix from Reason kept me from using it for any sort of colab work.
Nope - and I agree that was a major factor holding back its effectiveness. It was being marketed as a casual music making app/social network that "anyone" could use, and while that may have been true - it alienated all of the pro users.
what is curious is that 2 times, i uploaded songs to allihoopa (lets say 5 track songs, like percussion, voice, guitar, keys, bass), and when i played them back IN THE WEB BROWSER, they didnt play all tracks back. then when i pushed the play button again, it played the fully bounced track. so alihoopa must receive individual tracks from reason, and then do the processing, rather than reason mixing it down and then uploading.

machinestatic

02 Jan 2019

Loque wrote:
01 Jan 2019
Still looking for a good music sharing platform. Maybe this is for you:
https://drooble.com
Thanks for reading my insane emotional rambling. ;) I've bookmarked that site and I'll check it out.

joeyluck

02 Jan 2019

machinestatic wrote:
31 Dec 2018

machinestatic (Chris)
Hey Chris!

Nice to hear from you!

Yeah I remember that! And I really enjoyed the tracks you did! :puf_smile:

I'm really going to miss Allihoopa. It will be hard to replace.

8crack

08 Jan 2019

I did not immediately find this news. It's horrible. It made me come back here even to express my sadness. But I'm leaving again. :redface:

Jmax

14 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
Jmax wrote:
13 Dec 2018
You only ever looked around that site once? So in actuality, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Oooh, burn!

In actuality, I do know what I"m talking about insofar as what I personally experienced; when I looked around the site, all I saw was blatantly ripped off content and was immediately turned off.

I'm sure there were people genuinely getting together and creating new music and forming awesome partnerships. I'm sure a lot of good stuff was made privately. But the public side was... not a very compelling argument to use it. That's my opinion. You also have an opinion.
You do realize that it's a music collaboration website don't you? So using others peoples music is the whome point. Again, you appear confused.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

sublunar

15 Jan 2019

Jmax wrote:
14 Jan 2019
sublunar wrote:
Oooh, burn!

In actuality, I do know what I"m talking about insofar as what I personally experienced; when I looked around the site, all I saw was blatantly ripped off content and was immediately turned off.

I'm sure there were people genuinely getting together and creating new music and forming awesome partnerships. I'm sure a lot of good stuff was made privately. But the public side was... not a very compelling argument to use it. That's my opinion. You also have an opinion.
You do realize that it's a music collaboration website don't you? So using others peoples music is the whome point. Again, you appear confused.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I'm so glad you bothered to continue this discussion without actually making any new points. My opinion hasn't changed and evidently neither has yours. Thanks.

Jmax

16 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
13 Dec 2018
So when is that stupid button going to go away from my transport control?

Allihoopa seemed like nothing but a bunch of people ripping off each other's content and passing it off as their own. But I admit I only ever looked around that site once.
Care to provide some of examples of people ripping off each other's content on Allihoopa?

sublunar

16 Jan 2019

Jmax wrote:
16 Jan 2019
sublunar wrote:
13 Dec 2018
So when is that stupid button going to go away from my transport control?

Allihoopa seemed like nothing but a bunch of people ripping off each other's content and passing it off as their own. But I admit I only ever looked around that site once.
Care to provide some of examples of people ripping off each other's content on Allihoopa?
You really seem to have taken my opinion personally. I'm sorry to have offended you. I don't care to continue the discussion and don't understand why you are so intent to do so.

Considering the fact that Allihoopa was specifically created for sharing music ideas with each other, I don't understand why you're trying to pretend like it didn't exist. Maybe the phrase "ripping off" was a bit harsh, but by simply toning down that phraseology we arrive at the actual description of the service itself. If I tone it down to "borrowing" or "using freely shared content". The point is the same. It's literally what Allihoopa was made for. You seem hung up on my choice of descriptors. As a person who plays physical instruments, and who has spent a great deal of time trying to learn music theory on multiple instruments, any borrowing or using of someone else's musical content is "ripping off", to me. I think this is merely a difference of perspective. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud. But I think a lot of musicians feel that way about sampling, etc.

I never understood why Reason came so closely linked to Allihoopa that we have their icon in the transport control. So as I explained already, I was curious what the hell it was. I got on, listened to some stuff and it was obvious when the person's original content ended and someone else's was inserted. The handful of accounts I clicked around and listened to were pretty obvious examples of this. I'm sure there's endless more examples of talented, creative, original content on there. But I'm not their target audience and I'm not/wasn't interested in exploring it further.

Sampling or using other people's freely shared content is how some people start out the experience of learning music so I'm not going to be the asshole (or I guess an even bigger asshole than I already am) and call out specific people. We all start somewhere. For other people, sampling is a way of life. It's their prerogative and their creative outlet so I'm not trying to stop them. More power to them. For me, as a Reason user, I never had any interest in Allihoopa as a service or a music platform and I just want their icon off my stuff.

Can we please move on now?

EnochLight

16 Jan 2019

sublunar wrote:
16 Jan 2019
I never understood why Reason came so closely linked to Allihoopa that we have their icon in the transport control.
* slowly raises hand *

I can answer this. :D Originally, Allihoopa was called '"Drop to Propellerhead", as the service/technology was created in-house by Propellerhead in a point update, directly linked to Reason. At the time, Reason was the only app (aside from Figure, also made in-house by Props) that supported it.

Then, they decided to re-brand the service as "Allihoopa" and spin it off as its own entity, taking Figure (and Take) with it. Their offices moved out of Props HQ into another part of Stockholm. That's when the website started to mature and they got more partners (Korg, etc). Obviously the experiment was never able to generate revenue to keep the servers and employees afloat, and here we are today.

I'm sure we'll see the "Allihoopa" button deprecated in a simple point update. Maybe even with 10.3, who knows...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

djadalaide

17 Jan 2019

RIP Allihoopa 2019.01.17. You will be missed :(

Adabler
Competition Winner

17 Jan 2019

djadalaide wrote:
17 Jan 2019
RIP Allihoopa 2019.01.17. You will be missed :(
Indeed!

A sad day.
:reason: 12, Win10

Aosta

17 Jan 2019

This site can’t be reached

:(
Tend the flame

Kilsane

17 Jan 2019

Rip allihoopa

cgijoe

17 Jan 2019

Allihoopa entered into eternal rest on January 17, 2019. Born as "Drop to Proplellerhead" on December 18, 2014 in Reason 8.1, Allihoopa allowed Reason users to conveniently bounce mix-downs of projects to the web for their own private or public collection.
Allihoopa came into it's own on February 22, 2016, expanding the domain from exclusively Reason products to all any developer who wanted to make use of Allihoopa's collaborative streaming service.
It is survived by all of us.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2019

One would have thought that PH would have released an update to remove the Alliphoopa icon from the Transport bar... maybe that will done in Reason 11 :D LOL

rgdaniel

18 Jan 2019

Been thinking of starting a problem ticket... "Drop to Alihoopa button all of a sudden not working!!?! Please help!"

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
18 Jan 2019
Been thinking of starting a problem ticket... "Drop to Alihoopa button all of a sudden not working!!?! Please help!"
If you somehow manage to get the 10.3 release date out of them, go for it :mrgreen:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

phaza

21 Jan 2019

So what where they trying to achieve with this service in the first place and why didn't it work out?

I had over 1000 followers, but i think most of them were just bots by allihoopa to boost the numbers :mrgreen:

EnochLight

21 Jan 2019

phaza wrote:
21 Jan 2019
So what where they trying to achieve with this service in the first place
To create a viable company that makes money, by creating a music-based social networking ecosystem that encouraged everybody to make music easily by collaborating.
phaza wrote:
21 Jan 2019
and why didn't it work out?
It didn't make any money (or at least, not enough to be a viable company).
phaza wrote:
21 Jan 2019
I had over 1000 followers, but i think most of them were just bots by allihoopa to boost the numbers :mrgreen:
I dunno - there's no evidence to suggest that they used bots at all. But who knows...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information