Brass

Discuss VST stuff here!
Mr. Watts

31 Dec 2018

Just curious about what some of you use for brass instruments. I was recently working on a beat for a client and I had come up with some really nice brass melodies to accompany the hook and parts of the verses. I ended up not being able to use them because I just couldn’t for the life of me find a brass patch that worked and sounded good. Listening to “One Night” by The Game (produced by Nottz) I notice that the brass melody in the hook sounds very real and powerful. Does anyone know how to accomplish such a sound? Short of hiring a studio musician to play the parts? I have read that he was using a workstation keyboard such as the Motif or Fantom around that time so maybe I will have to get one of those to for my brass needs. If anyone knows of any VSTs or Rack Extensions / refills that can help me achieve a powerful brass sound that doesn’t sound like an apocalyptic horn and also isn’t thin and cheesy, that would be great. Thanks!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2018

More often than not I’ll just use Rex Brass loops and trigger the slices in different orders using my midi keyboard. Works great.
Also I seem to remember Miroslav being pretty good.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2018

You've got other refills like the Sonic Reality bundle, or even Way Beyond Fairlight.

You will probably want to tweak the envelopes, apply some EQ and adjust the reverb and echo.

Soeno

12 May 2019

you could try Orchestral Tools Majestic Horn for 2 Euro
http://www.orchestraltools.com/librarie ... c_horn.php

Loque

12 May 2019

Nothing beats a real brass.

You can get quite close with a good synth and lots of modulations and automation for variations. So you need a synth where you have good control over the attack phase and modulation while in that phase.
Reason12, Win10

ljekio

12 May 2019

Only real brass beat solo brasses from Sample Modeling/Audio Modeling when use breath controllers.

Soeno

12 May 2019

for one trööt this is good imo, otherwise the thing from Output should be enough, the real thing is too loud anyway

Loque

12 May 2019

Here is a quick patch where i modulated the attack depending on velocity and stuff like that. I guess you can get the point.

Moved the patch to:
viewtopic.php?p=445189#p445189
Last edited by Loque on 12 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

12 May 2019

I Second the Sample Modeling/Audio Modeling suggestion. Komplete also has a bunch of very good and very realistic brass libraries.

Crumbfort

13 May 2019

Cinematic Studio Brass is excellent. It has pretty much replaced CineBrass Core/Pro for me:

https://www.cinematicstudioseries.com/brass.html

Their ensemble and solo string libraries are brilliant, as well.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

• Information