Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

21 Oct 2017

While having a waveform scrubber in the browser would be sweet, I think it's more important for them to add other basic things that it's lacking still - like tags/metadata and cached "instant-result search" (think typing into Google) for starters. And then of course the infamous drag-and-drop MIDI files without creating an ID8 (ugh!), and drag-and-drop into the mixer.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

22 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
21 Oct 2017
While having a waveform scrubber in the browser would be sweet, I think it's more important for them to add other basic things that it's lacking still - like tags/metadata and cached "instant-result search" (think typing into Google) for starters. And then of course the infamous drag-and-drop MIDI files without creating an ID8 (ugh!), and drag-and-drop into the mixer.
I really dislike predictive searches, they slow things up so much... if I want to search for the tag 'drum synth' on kvr for example it drags through so many irrelevant matches before I can select what I want. A pet peeve of mine, big time. Let me at least type a whole word before you start going through the gazillion letter per letter matches! :(

AttenuationHz

22 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
22 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
21 Oct 2017
I really dislike predictive searches, they slow things up so much... if I want to search for the tag 'drum synth' on kvr for example it drags through so many irrelevant matches before I can select what I want. A pet peeve of mine, big time. Let me at least type a whole word before you start going through the gazillion letter per letter matches! :(
One of the reasons I switched to DuckDuck was predictive/suggested search results. What occurs to me though if that search function was there could you also search for samples you have never played/heard or used in any song would there be stats associated. That might be interesting.

With you with the ID8 there should be at least shift or ctrl to not create one (also drag to rack! Audio/Midi). Why there is no preview of midi from the browser though is a head scratcher!

**A built midi player, Drag to rack for ID8, Shift drag to rack to create the midi lane on the sequencer without the device.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

EnochLight

22 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
22 Oct 2017
EnochLight wrote:
21 Oct 2017
Fair point, but predictive search done the right way could work much better in Reason's browser. It would certainly be a lot faster compared to the way it currently works. For instance, watch how search works in Studio One 3.5.x:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

30 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Why there is no preview of midi from the browser though is a head scratcher!

**A built midi player, Drag to rack for ID8, Shift drag to rack to create the midi lane on the sequencer without the device.
I'm all for having a midi preview in the browser.
A simple square wave previewer would be welcome, but maybe have a dropdown list of all your current project devices to send the file to. So I could preview midi drum files through track 2 processing, for example, which has my drum machine loaded. Or it previews to what ever track you have selected in the sequencer.

evolve187

30 Oct 2017

I wish when you have a bunch of loops in your song that you could right click any sample and select 'locate' and it would return your browser to the parent directory of that loop. Its pretty frustrating that there is no reference to a loop's pathway after adding it to the project. I have an extensive collection of loops and it damn near impossible to find where it was after adding it... reason obviously know where to find it right? sharing that little tidbit of info would be most helpful.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

stratatonic

25 Apr 2018

evolve187 wrote:
30 Oct 2017
I wish when you have a bunch of loops in your song that you could right click any sample and select 'locate' and it would return your browser to the parent directory of that loop. ...I have an extensive collection of loops and it damn near impossible to find where it was after adding it... reason obviously know where to find it right? sharing that little tidbit of info would be most helpful.
That sounds useful.

fourways

29 Dec 2018

I think one small feature can make inserting instruments and effects much faster, at least for me. When I press Ctrl+I for instruments or Ctrl+F for effects I got browser focused on instruments/fx folder, but cursor is not in the search field, so I need to manually left mouse click on the search field and only after it I can type desired instrument/effect (I know I can use up/down arrows to browse through the list, but it's very slow). I would much prefer after pressing Ctrl+I or Ctrl+F that browser focus with a cursor in search filed so I can type the name instantly. It will be much speedier, IMO.

Also, it will be very good if they add specific shortcuts for inserting Players and Utilities.

Of course I'm fully agree with tempo-synced prelistening (very useful for drum loops, for ex.), small waveform in the browser and very much improved browser speed. Tags (or color groups a-la Ableton) will be very welcome addition too.
Reason 11 Suite + RME UFX + lots of RE's and VST's + UAD Octo
Sub 37, Nord Lead 4, Prophet-6, Analog Keys, Boomstar 4075, Strymon Mobius and BigSky, 1073 Preamps
Expert Sleepers ES-3, ES-5, ESX-MD8

jam-s

31 Dec 2018

The Props should really take a large bite from the loopcloud sample manager and implement at least the tagging sorting preview and time-stretch features.

Expl0rer

28 Sep 2019

Samples:
Also ADSR Sample Manager works as VST...but its just for Audio.
But drag and drop works.
---

Browser
A good and fast Browser for me is from Bitwig DAW, he finds all what i type in and separted to categories "Instrument", "FX", "Sample" and 2 more.
Shows me how much he found. Can look like this in Reason:

Bigger image:
https://www.bilder-upload.eu/bild-4fb75 ... 6.png.html

Also if you type when Instrument selected, but you need a FX, then the search field clears, after selecting another Category. :lol:

Procedur in Bitwig:
I hit + to add FX or Instruments or Samples, Browser opens, i can just type "ser" and serum vst shows up, instant, no [Enter] need. Also all Samples and FX in another Categoy Tabs shows with a "..ser.." in it. When i am in the Instrument Folder i just need "arrow down", Serum is selected then, because its just one Plugin found, hit [enter] and i am done, plugin is loaded. If more Plugins are found i can just hit arrows until i found my Plugin.
Its a bit faster than clicking and droping. But if i remember i bounce some Serum Samples, and dont want the Plugin, i can search all Catergorys without that search field goes empty.

Creativemind

27 Aug 2021

:idea:
stratatonic wrote:
08 Oct 2017
I think it would be great to have a visual of a waveform in the browser.

You could start playback at any point in the waveform. Sometimes I have no clue at times what is on any particular file. And I'm starting at the beginning each time in the Reason Browser - sometimes with a bunch of silence before the audio kicks in.

The recent Grain video shows this can be done in Reason as an instantaneous reading of the wav file is displayed as it is dragged into Grain - time referenced here:

I've actually used the Reaper browser (Media Explorer) beside Reason at times. It can do a bit more than a play wait and hear preview.

I can even drag a file from the Reaper browser right into Reason.

Browser REAPER w REASON.jpeg

Since Reason can now do this with Grain, and there are time and pitch shifting abilities in Reason already, how easy would it be to implement any of that into Reason - sorta like this?: (excuse the crappy cut and paste :puf_bigsmile: )

Browser Reason w extras.jpeg

And maybe even highlight a section of the preview and import that right into the sequencer...

Does anyone have any thing they would like to see added to the Reason browser?
Or is it fine the way it is?

.AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.
It was that create and leave approach Mattius mentioned in the recent Mimic stream. Sad really. Things just get abandoned. Something I also noticed in Reaper recently which is also so basic yet so handy, is, if you're browsing samples in a folder, it puts a dot next to the samples you've already auditioned, so handy if you're randomly auditioning samples in a folder with say 50+ samples in there, to know which ones you've already auditioned.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Where are you sending this MIDI data if there is no device associated with the data? In other words, why have MIDI on a track that doesn’t send it anywhere?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

27 Aug 2021

I would absolutely love to be able to browse samples by descriptive terms, such as browsing for all dark and ambient kicks or thin dry snares etc. I realize it’s currently fantasy since there is SO much other stuff to address first, but I can dream…
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

27 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
27 Aug 2021
AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Where are you sending this MIDI data if there is no device associated with the data? In other words, why have MIDI on a track that doesn’t send it anywhere?
In Reaper 4.78 shown, if you select a track header, the midi file from Reaper's browser will play through that track. Selecting another track will send the midi data there. It can be done. Not sure why RS can't get this done either.
reaper midi play browser.jpeg
reaper midi play browser.jpeg (199.24 KiB) Viewed 5489 times

stratatonic

27 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
27 Aug 2021
It was that create and leave approach Mattius mentioned in the recent Mimic stream. Sad really. Things just get abandoned. Something I also noticed in Reaper recently which is also so basic yet so handy, is, if you're browsing samples in a folder, it puts a dot next to the samples you've already auditioned, so handy if you're randomly auditioning samples in a folder with say 50+ samples in there, to know which ones you've already auditioned.
You're right, and sadly not much has been done with the browser over 4 major versions. I should just give up and just use the Reaper Browser when I have to find/audition audio and midi files, because I kinda suspect that even if RS does attempt to add stuff like that in, it just won't be as quick and easy as with Reaper. It's kinda frustrating , when you just want to stay in one program

Creativemind

28 Aug 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I'd like a feature to HIDE devices and REs that we do not use. Especially with the new bloated list of devices in R10.
Good idea and another good idea that's in Reaper, a New VST section where if you've just installed a VST it automatically displays in there for 24hrs. Not sure if it's 24 hrs from the time of install or 24 hrs of having the daw open. I say the first one. So you can easily just install a VST and know where to find it, it'll be in that new section and PLEASE Reason Studio's, add scanning the VST folder without having to shut down Reason and open it again.

Also from Reaper, you can route the browser to a track to audition with effects or whatever effects are on that track, it also puts a dot next to previously auditioned samples in a folder so that you can see which ones you've already auditioned and it will be blank if you go out of that folder and back in, another one from Reaper, reverse auditioning (great if you want a reverse crash, just audition through crashes with reverse on).

And +1 to a refresh button for folders. Wanted this years.

VIVIsect

28 Aug 2021

Anyone have any idea as to whether or not we'll finally be able to drag a sample from Reason's browser and drop it into a VST with version 12? Because it's getting embarrassing at this point.

selig
RE Developer

30 Aug 2021

stratatonic wrote:
27 Aug 2021
selig wrote:
27 Aug 2021

In Reaper 4.78 shown, if you select a track header, the midi file from Reaper's browser will play through that track. Selecting another track will send the midi data there. It can be done. Not sure why RS can't get this done either.

Maybe I wasn’t clear, I thought the idea was to be able to put midi clips in tracks without devices, not to browse midi clips. Did I totally misunderstand?
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

30 Aug 2021

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2021
stratatonic wrote:
27 Aug 2021

Maybe I wasn’t clear, I thought the idea was to be able to put midi clips in tracks without devices, not to browse midi clips. Did I totally misunderstand?
Re-reading, I think you were clear - I think maybe a quick tired scan of the first sentences of both posts led to assumption of a midi file player. Would be nice to have though!

stratatonic

30 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2021
Also from Reaper, you can route the browser to a track to audition with effects or whatever effects are on that track
When I hit the I/O button in Media Explorer, I only get options of stereo/mono outs. Where/how do you route to FX? Or is this in a newer version? - I'm on v4

Creativemind

30 Aug 2021

stratatonic wrote:
30 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2021
Also from Reaper, you can route the browser to a track to audition with effects or whatever effects are on that track
When I hit the I/O button in Media Explorer, I only get options of stereo/mono outs. Where/how do you route to FX? Or is this in a newer version? - I'm on v4
It's called, "Play through selected track". Works for auditioning midi files too (or midi files in the Media Browser will audition with the instrument sounds of whichever track in the Track Control Panel you have selected.) "Play through selected track" was added in version 5.0 though. Top listing here in the Media Explorer section.

Screenshot_20210831-023603_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210831-023603_Samsung Internet.jpg (552.69 KiB) Viewed 5235 times

stratatonic

31 Aug 2021

Creativemind wrote:
30 Aug 2021
stratatonic wrote:
30 Aug 2021

It's called, "Play through selected track". Works for auditioning midi files too (or midi files in the Media Browser will audition with the instrument sounds of whichever track in the Track Control Panel you have selected.) "Play through selected track" was added in version 5.0 though. Top listing here in the Media Explorer section.

https://youtu. be/jxU-opt5y cU?t=230
Thanks for taking the time to post that. :) Looks like I'm missing a few features being on v4. (That video is depressing comparing Media Explorer to the Reason Browser - and that's from the last version :( though there's still a lot of stuff that was in v4 too)

Creativemind

31 Aug 2021

stratatonic wrote:
31 Aug 2021
Creativemind wrote:
30 Aug 2021

https://youtu. be/jxU-opt5y cU?t=230
Thanks for taking the time to post that. :) Looks like I'm missing a few features being on v4. (That video is depressing comparing Media Explorer to the Reason Browser - and that's from the last version :( though there's still a lot of stuff that was in v4 too)
No worries.

Why don't you upgrade? I was gonna say, "isn't it free?" but you're going to a new version cycle, 4 to 5 so is there a charge? if there is knowing Reaper it'll be cheap.

AttenuationHz

10 Sep 2021

I've no idea post was from 2017...

Midi file preview in the browser would suffice.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

jlgrimes

10 Sep 2021

stratatonic wrote:
08 Oct 2017
I think it would be great to have a visual of a waveform in the browser.

You could start playback at any point in the waveform. Sometimes I have no clue at times what is on any particular file. And I'm starting at the beginning each time in the Reason Browser - sometimes with a bunch of silence before the audio kicks in.

The recent Grain video shows this can be done in Reason as an instantaneous reading of the wav file is displayed as it is dragged into Grain - time referenced here:

I've actually used the Reaper browser (Media Explorer) beside Reason at times. It can do a bit more than a play wait and hear preview.

I can even drag a file from the Reaper browser right into Reason.

Browser REAPER w REASON.jpeg

Since Reason can now do this with Grain, and there are time and pitch shifting abilities in Reason already, how easy would it be to implement any of that into Reason - sorta like this?: (excuse the crappy cut and paste :puf_bigsmile: )

Browser Reason w extras.jpeg

And maybe even highlight a section of the preview and import that right into the sequencer...

Does anyone have any thing they would like to see added to the Reason browser?
Or is it fine the way it is?

.AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

1. Be able to take sample from Reason browser in Rack Plugin and drag to DAW.

2. Be able to Resize browser in Rack Plugin.

• Information