Add ability to start new project in the same window.

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
ab459

30 Dec 2018

Pretty necessary to add ability to open new Reason project in the same window, instead of opening second Reason instance. Or exit program, and start again each time, that not very handy as well. (Windows 7)

jam-s

30 Dec 2018

Why is this necessary to you?

ab459

30 Dec 2018

This is a matter of convenience, what obviously, as it seems to me.
In first case (thru auto open second Reason instance), we should close old window first, and then maximize new window.
About second way i already wrote.
So, if you like experimenting with short modular etc sessions from scratch, such simple thing as creating new project can cause a much extra movements in summary, while classically it is organized in the form of a click or two without leaving one working window.

jam-s

30 Dec 2018

I really don't see how having just a single window for all projects would be convenient... esp. when switching back and forth between multiple simultaneously opened Reason projects. With multiple windows I can easily alt-tab between those, while I can't with a single window.

ab459

30 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
30 Dec 2018
just a single window for all projects
Not for all projects, but for those project, that you work with, in current time moment. Including project that we call a New.
This is not about the convenience of working with several projects at once and about switching between them in real time (do you really do that often?)
It's about the convenience of creating and using a new project.

WongoTheSane

31 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
30 Dec 2018
I really don't see how having just a single window for all projects would be convenient... esp. when switching back and forth between multiple simultaneously opened Reason projects. With multiple windows I can easily alt-tab between those, while I can't with a single window.
He's talking about MDI, a.k.a. applications that have a menu bar that stays active even when there are no documents open. This allows to close a document and then create a new one, as opposed to what we have today: either create the new document, then switch to the old one and close it, or close the document and relaunch the application. That's how Photoshop works, for instance, and previous versions of Word and Excel. There are still as many windows as there are projects, like now, but the app is still there when no projects are open, unlike now.

Alas, the choice between MDI or SDI is done very early in the development cycle, and one it's set, it's really a pain to switch back, so while I agree being able to create a new document without quitting the app would be more convenient, I wouldn't hold my breath on it being implemented any time soon. :(

jam-s

31 Dec 2018

MDI.... that's soooo 90s. Also it would not work with the option of the detachable sequencer and rack windows or multi screen setups.

ab459

31 Dec 2018

Guys, i can not quite understand difference between my request and MDI, due to my not very well english language knowledge. But what i'm talking about, thru such way works some DAWs that i use, like Studio one and Ableton live (i guess all other too), ant this is pretty convenien element, as was rightly observed.

But, ofcourse it's not so critical thing (as lack of automation for NNXT parameters for example, or vst perfomance), if it difficult to implement at today program stage, then better focus on other requests.

ab459

31 Dec 2018

For example, Ableton Live do not have condition at that he stay without opened documents. His command "New Live Set" just replaces existing project in the same window. Simple thing. (This is MDI style or no ?)

• Information