Problems Automating VST

Discuss VST stuff here!
msbevel

27 Dec 2018

Anyone ever experienced not being able to automate certain areas of vsts? I just got this korg arp odyssey and so far am only able to record and automate certain areas of the plugin. Nothing happens when I move other parts. Is this something other people may have experienced on other Instrument VST'S? This is my first actual instrument as a vst so i've never had to record on vst. Help! It would be super lame if I couldn't record what i'm doing with the instrument. That's kind of the whole point of it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Dec 2018

msbevel wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Anyone ever experienced not being able to automate certain areas of vsts? I just got this korg arp odyssey and so far am only able to record and automate certain areas of the plugin. Nothing happens when I move other parts. Is this something other people may have experienced on other Instrument VST'S? This is my first actual instrument as a vst so i've never had to record on vst. Help! It would be super lame if I couldn't record what i'm doing with the instrument. That's kind of the whole point of it.
Maybe an obvious question but you do know there’s an automation button on the top of the VST beside the snapshot button? Click that and it opens an automation lane for the first knob you twiddle after that. You probably already know that though.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

msbevel

27 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
27 Dec 2018
msbevel wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Maybe an obvious question but you do know there’s an automation button on the top of the VST beside the snapshot button? Click that and it opens an automation lane for the first knob you twiddle after that. You probably already know that though.
Yeah I saw that. I've tried that. A lot of it works and I have like 20 automation lanes open. There are these 2 other controls I can't get to work though.. Lame!!

Loque

27 Dec 2018

Automaton needs to be supported for controls by the app. Can you access our automate the mentioned control in other DAWs? There is a limit in Reason regarding the maximum number of supported automation parameters. Arturia supports lot of automatable controls and you may run into that limit. Soundtoys for example seem to never heard of automation at all...
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

27 Dec 2018

Also see the full list of automatable parameters (and create automation lanes for them) via the drop-down menu (automation icon) in the Sequencer.

msbevel

27 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Automaton needs to be supported for controls by the app. Can you access our automate the mentioned control in other DAWs? There is a limit in Reason regarding the maximum number of supported automation parameters. Arturia supports lot of automatable controls and you may run into that limit. Soundtoys for example seem to never heard of automation at all...
The app as in the VST? I don't have another daw. Lol. I believe Korg has software made for their Virtual Instruments, but I don't have that. FYI, it's the Korg Arp Odyssey I'm having trouble with. I looked at all the controls that had CC numbers and the one I was having trouble with doesn't have a number. There was a dropdown list and the control was just blank. No right clicking. No anything, except adjusting it. I tried automating it several times when I had a lot of lanes going and then I tried again in 3 different settings, different tracks, etc... I have a feeling they did that on purpose too. It makes it sound crazy! I'm sure it would freeze up reason if I were able to automate it.
Attachments
Document 3_ 12_27_2018 8_44_59 AM.jpg
That entire area I circled is off limits or something.
Document 3_ 12_27_2018 8_44_59 AM.jpg (263.44 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

antic604

28 Dec 2018

Try putting that VST into Combinator and assign those parameters to its knobs via Programmer.

Reason has a limit of mappable VST parameters (I think it's 256) and some plugins have more (for example for sequencer steps), so they're simply out of that 256 pool. You can however reach them via Combinator, at least this worked for RePro-1.

Creativemind

28 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Try putting that VST into Combinator and assign those parameters to its knobs via Programmer.

Reason has a limit of mappable VST parameters (I think it's 256) and some plugins have more (for example for sequencer steps), so they're simply out of that 256 pool. You can however reach them via Combinator, at least this worked for RePro-1.
It's nothing to do with limits of mappable parameters I don't think. I have this VST and just tried it, those 2 parameters don't seem to be automatable. Also the 'transpose 2 octaves up' switch doesn't seem to be automatable underneath it and the 3 buttons underneath that.

I wonder if this was intentional in the coding of it? I'd be interested to know if they're automatable in other daw's if anyone can check?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

antic604

28 Dec 2018

Creativemind wrote:
28 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018

It's nothing to do with limits of mappable parameters I don't think. I have this VST and just tried it, those 2 parameters don't seem to be automatable. Also the 'transpose 2 octaves up' switch doesn't seem to be automatable underneath it and the 3 buttons underneath that.

I wonder if this was intentional in the coding of it? I'd be interested to know if they're automatable in other daw's if anyone can check?
Have you also tried it in other DAW(s)? I'm not saying you are not right, just that Reason is "special" when it comes to VSTs ;) :D

Creativemind

28 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Creativemind wrote:
28 Dec 2018

Have you also tried it in other DAW(s)? I'm not saying you are not right, just that Reason is "special" when it comes to VSTs ;) :D
And very new to the game.

msbevel

28 Dec 2018

I appreciate you guys replying. Not sure if they did it on purpose or not. I don't know why they would leave that out. It does have an incredible sound to it. Maybe they want people to buy the real thing. I don't know.. BUT, I've been messing with it for hours and I finally figured out how to do it!! Here is a pic of the settings.
Attachments
Korg Arp Odyssey Voices Automation Trick.jpg
Korg Arp Odyssey Voices Automation Trick.jpg (366.03 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

msbevel

28 Dec 2018

Scratch that for now. I have to figure out how to route a midi channel or something to CC 2. It didn't work. DARN IT!

msbevel

28 Dec 2018

I spent all that time figuring out how to do it a different way, only to find out you can't automate the control I was using. Guess I got a little to excited before actually trying to record. Lol. It has CC 2 next to it so I thought it was going to work. Lemme know if you guys figure anything out.

msbevel

28 Dec 2018

I figured it out. You have to create an automation lane for breath control, which controls CC 2. Then you have to automate it yourself, unless you have something to control it externally. If you use those settings I posted it'll work. Time for me to get back to it!

msbevel

29 Dec 2018

Creativemind wrote:
28 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018

I found this in an introduction to a patchbook I downloaded from Korg. Apparently that part wasn't on the hardware synth so they left it alone. I looked at pics of the hardware and I didn't see it anywhere.
Attachments
Patchbook Introduction.jpg
Patchbook Introduction.jpg (138.14 KiB) Viewed 2636 times

Creativemind

29 Dec 2018

msbevel wrote:
29 Dec 2018
Creativemind wrote:
28 Dec 2018

I found this in an introduction to a patchbook I downloaded from Korg. Apparently that part wasn't on the hardware synth so they left it alone. I looked at pics of the hardware and I didn't see it anywhere.
Ahhh that makes sense. Still would be nice if they updated it and made them automatable though.

msbevel

29 Dec 2018

I Agree. Lol. Would've been a lot easier!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2019

Ok...just experienced this myself. Would like me to automate the EQ parameters in Rob Papens Prisma. Doesn’t work :(.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ljekio

12 Jan 2019

The app as in the VST? I don't have another daw. Lol. I believe Korg has software made for their Virtual Instruments, but I don't have that. FYI, it's the Korg Arp Odyssey I'm having trouble with. I looked at all the controls that had CC numbers and the one I was having trouble with doesn't have a number.
СС cant automable in Reason directly. Only host controllers can be use by remote button. VST must have host controllers with assigned CC for native control and automation in Reason.
As example, Kontakt have midi map for CC but host controllers most of patches you must set up manually. And after it that VST haven't problems with automation in Reason.

raymondh

12 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018

Yes this is a great point for folks to be aware of. Frustrating when the filter cutoff is >256, behind much less useful parameters!!

scotinus

27 Apr 2021

antic604 wrote:
28 Dec 2018

Thanks a lot. This fixed it for me with the Hybrid 3 plugin.

Is this still a VST limitation in later Reason versions? (I'm running v10.4)

• Information