What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale

27 Dec 2018

I can answer this one! I *do* use VST's right now, as I said. But it would be nice to have a comp and EQ native to Reason that was not outdated, don't you think?

To put it more strongly, why should users have to use 3rd party (and pay extra) just to get basic EQ and Comp functionality of similar quality to all other DAWs? Mclass hasn't been updated for...how many years now?

I have trialed most of the RE EQ's and I own a couple back from when VST's were not a thing in Reason. I never use them any more because in terms of GUI, features and even CPU usage (!), they all kinda suck* compared to other DAWs and VSTs. A general purpose EQ these days has the features of GEQ-7 as standard (and without the ugly old fashioned GUI).

Serious tip: If you are going to pay for a 3rd party EQ, just get a good VST - something like Fabfilter Pro-Q - it outperforms all the RE's by far and will save you money in the long run. If you really want to get a "vintage" type, there are a couple of excellent free Pultec-style VST's.

*Selig's coloring EQ is an exception as regards features, tuneability and saturation, but that's more of a special case, and again it costs a lot of money.
antic604 wrote:
27 Dec 2018
Desmondblack wrote:
26 Dec 2018
- better stock compressor (preferably w some character)
- better master bus EQ, so we can EQ w more precision
Why wouldn't you use REs or VSTs for that?

antic604

27 Dec 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Dec 2018
I can answer this one! I *do* use VST's right now, as I said. But it would be nice to have a comp and EQ native to Reason that was not outdated, don't you think?

To put it more strongly, why should users have to use 3rd party (and pay extra) just to get basic EQ and Comp functionality of similar quality to all other DAWs? Mclass hasn't been updated for...how many years now?

I have trialed most of the RE EQ's and I own a couple back from when VST's were not a thing in Reason. I never use them any more because in terms of GUI, features and even CPU usage (!), they all kinda suck* compared to other DAWs and VSTs. A general purpose EQ these days has the features of GEQ-7 as standard (and without the ugly old fashioned GUI).
Well, all DAWs have native devices that are somewhat limited in comparison to good 3rd party VSTs. So for example maybe Live's EQ-8 is better than Reason's MClass EQ, but their distortion plugins aren't a match for Pulveriser & Scream, for example.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some of the old devices - MClass suite, Combinator, etc. - updated, but I'd rather the devs focus on things I can't get from 3rd parties, eg. VST & RE performance, high-res GPU-accelerated GUI, track folders, proper automation labelling (eg. in Hz or dB where relevant instead of some random-range values) and so on.

Creativemind

27 Dec 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
27 Dec 2018

The M-Class Mastering Suite was introduced in Reason 3 in 2005. 13yrs ago.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

FGL

27 Dec 2018

A Device with two buttons for forward backward switching the patterns, that are stored into many devices without using a Combinator. Also for Player-Devices..

devilfish

28 Dec 2018

Midi

Creativemind

28 Dec 2018

devilfish wrote:
28 Dec 2018
Midi
:question:

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

28 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
chaosroyale wrote:
27 Dec 2018

Well, all DAWs have native devices that are somewhat limited in comparison to good 3rd party VSTs. So for example maybe Live's EQ-8 is better than Reason's MClass EQ, but their distortion plugins aren't a match for Pulveriser & Scream, for example.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some of the old devices - MClass suite, Combinator, etc. - updated, but I'd rather the devs focus on things I can't get from 3rd parties, eg. VST & RE performance, high-res GPU-accelerated GUI, track folders, proper automation labelling (eg. in Hz or dB where relevant instead of some random-range values) and so on.
Well sure and that is fine, but given this is a wish list, it would be nice to see some improvements made. Also agree on the VST performance but I believe that is something props are already working on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

FGL

28 Dec 2018

From thinking about a Utility for better switching, what's about a tiny little Computer inside Reason. With a little Screen and PropellerDos? Should be doable with the new grafik possibilities.

madmacman

28 Dec 2018

After realizing that my project I‘m currently working on takes roughly 80GB on my harddisk (because I save each progress into a numbered separate file), I wish to have the option to choose between self-contained project files and a minimal core project with referenced external audio files.

:roll:

electrofux

28 Dec 2018

The only thing i really would like to have is a clip launching facility of some sorts.

This unlike other request like improvements of existing devices (which could also be replaced by REs) is something standard in other DAWs and totally lacking in Reason.
Last edited by electrofux on 29 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

28 Dec 2018

I like the idea of getting a new included EQ and comp in an update. some new professional effects (as opposed to the already incredible selection of creative ones) would be awesome.

it would be amazing if they included their own version of the LA-2A, since the Cakewalk one has been discontinued.

I’d also be okay if they just reskinned the existing MClass stuff. honestly, they sound great, but I almost never use them because they’re ugly AF. yes, this is stupid of me, but if I have the option of using a great-sounding, ugly RE and a great-sounding, great-looking one, I’m going to reach for the pretty one every time. 🙃
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chaosroyale

28 Dec 2018

The title of this thread is "what features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11"

Anything outside of your top 1 or 2 most necessary features should not be included in this thread.
FGL wrote:
28 Dec 2018
From thinking about a Utility for better switching, what's about a tiny little Computer inside Reason. With a little Screen and PropellerDos? Should be doable with the new grafik possibilities.

chaosroyale

28 Dec 2018

Yup. I hate to say it, because Scream4 is still the best native distortion module in any DAW*, but damn, it's ugly, and that actually has an effect on my creativity.

*except for the tape mode phase issue, dammit. 15 years and still no fix?
guitfnky wrote:
28 Dec 2018
I like the idea of getting a new included EQ and comp in an update. some new professional effects (as opposed to the already incredible selection of creative ones) would be awesome.

it would be amazing if they included their own version of the LA-2A, since the Cakewalk one has been discontinued.

I’d also be okay if they just reskinned the existing MClass stuff. honestly, they sound great, but I almost never use them because they’re ugly AF. yes, this is stupid of me, but if I have the option of using a great-sounding, ugly RE and a great-sounding, great-looking one, I’m going to reach for the pretty one every time. 🙃

ebaychamp808

08 Jan 2019

ou guys covered all the editing tools and i agree. im hoping they remodel kong...just trick it out- add a slicer and combine redrum and drum machine into one of its features as opposed to separate drum modules :adapted:

m.arthur

08 Jan 2019

ebaychamp808 wrote:
08 Jan 2019
ou guys covered all the editing tools and i agree. im hoping they remodel kong...just trick it out- add a slicer and combine redrum and drum machine into one of its features as opposed to separate drum modules :adapted:
Reason is a modular program. You have Redrum with its sequencer, you have Kong which can be triggered by Redrum's sequencer, you have Octo Rex for all your slicing needs, and the whole program is modular with cables and audio/cv routing between all devices plus combinators to save units together, but no, you still somehow need them repackaged for you into a single device? Seriously? Maybe you're using the wrong program...

Rick75

09 Jan 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Take a deep breath, be realistic. What features are REALLY necessary for a Reason update, that is still recognizably Reason.
I would like to see much tighter integration with the WWE universe and not just superficial support so I'm talking Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Fastlane, WrestleMania and SummerSlam. Come on Propellerheads. I've been using Reason since V3 why am I still waiting for this in 2019?

sinnerfire

09 Jan 2019

For me Reason has grown so much since I first started using it (a very looong time ago). [emoji23]

I would like an update to all the factory devices, the NN-XT is my go to sampler and I would like to see some of the features I see in Serato Sample added to it as well.

That’s all for now [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

Karim
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Oh, just few small things!

[...]
File system:
- samples should be contained in separate sub-folder within the project folder, so that each new version of the project doesn't have to contain everything but just refers to that sub-folder
OMG AT LAST!Thanks God somebody suggests this! Is my first feature ever.
I need to work with mixes and singers or clients mixes and every version cost me gigabytes ( at least 14-15 in last session with all version saved)
is a pain in the A*S! :!:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

antic604

09 Jan 2019

Karim wrote:
09 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018

[...]
File system:
- samples should be contained in separate sub-folder within the project folder, so that each new version of the project doesn't have to contain everything but just refers to that sub-folder
I need to work with mixes and singers or clients mixes and every version cost me gigabytes ( at least 14-15 in last session with all version saved)
Oh, I'm hardly the 1st person to suggest that and personally it doesn't even affect me much because I don't work with audio, but I can imagine someone having a single project clocking at 1GB struggling to find the space to fit 20 backups (or work in progress versions) of it...

Karim
Competition Winner

09 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Karim wrote:
09 Jan 2019

Oh, I'm hardly the 1st person to suggest that and personally it doesn't even affect me much because I don't work with audio, but I can imagine someone having a single project clocking at 1GB struggling to find the space to fit 20 backups (or work in progress versions) of it...
As you The major part of my works are my own song and a lot of synth and samplers but when sometimes I take some external job for a client of a friend that's the problem! I spend gigabytes and relatives backups just for one song and a singer.
Hope they implement that feature, because I'm forced to mix with
another Daw where (Like S1 or Logic) where I feel totally unconfortable within. :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

PeterP

09 Jan 2019

Karim wrote:
09 Jan 2019
Hope they implement that feature, because I'm forced to mix with
another Daw where (Like S1 or Logic) where I feel totally unconfortable within. :roll:
I'm in the exact same situation! (and posted about it on page 3 in this thread :) )

I would love to use Reason for mixing, but it just isn't feasible as long as it automatically embeds the audio.

I don't imagine it can be that hard to implement either. The samplers can already use external WAV files without having to embed them.

ScuzzyEye

09 Jan 2019

PeterP wrote:
09 Jan 2019
I don't imagine it can be that hard to implement either. The samplers can already use external WAV files without having to embed them.
Not only that, but when the audio in the file is at a different sampling rate than the current session (or export), Reason renders the audio externally to the scratch space. It's then played from there not the file.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jan 2019

Karim wrote:
09 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018

[...]
File system:
There is another solution, which I've been suggesting since RECORD came out, and it's based on the fact it's unlikely the Props will abandon the "all in one file" approach: VERSIONS.

All they need to do is provide a way to save mix versions as a part of the song file and you're good to go. And like audio files, mix versions could be exported so you would always have access to the individual files along the way.

There's a few other things they would need do add to make it work perfectly, and that is export/import of audio clips for processing outside of Reason (for noise reduction, polyphonic melodyne, etc), plus the ability to import song data from one song without opening both and doing the copy/paste dance. The latter would allow you to import the channel settings (or just the channel EQ, for example), inserts, FX chains, etc., to the current song without having to open the other song files. There are probably a few other issues to be dealt with to make this workflow seamless, and at one level I would prefer this to having to keep track of separate audio files.

IMO, one or the other is a MUST. I just happen to believe "versions" is more likely (and more useful) to happen in keeping with the existing Reason paradigm, as it keeps all your files in one place (while still allowing you access to separate files).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

09 Jan 2019

Rick75 wrote:
09 Jan 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
21 Jun 2018
Take a deep breath, be realistic. What features are REALLY necessary for a Reason update, that is still recognizably Reason.
I would like to see much tighter integration with the WWE universe and not just superficial support so I'm talking Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Fastlane, WrestleMania and SummerSlam. Come on Propellerheads. I've been using Reason since V3 why am I still waiting for this in 2019?
The mighty Thor would crush the likes of Hulk Hogan or the Ultimate Warrior! :lol:

jam-s

09 Jan 2019

For something to be called Reason 11 I think it should include the long awaited virtual MIDI cables for the rack and in this renovation of the MIDI-(routing)-system the internal MIDI implementation should be swapped with a modern one that supports extensions that can handle microtunings and polyphonic expression and bank switches, more parameters, etc. (MTS, MTC, MPE, XG, MMC, (MSC?)).

• Information