ReSpire, resized

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

25 Dec 2018

reveal_sound wrote:
23 May 2017
Nice idea! But there is a limitation for RE plugins height and Spire has maximum allowed one.
Drop-down menus also will be implemented, but a bit later, after next release with GUI fixes. Also we think and try to add Master Volume in some user-friendly place, but there are some limitations which prevent us from implementing all ideas. For eaxmple, initial concept for back panel was as shown below:
Hey reveal. Any chance of this ever being a thing? I’m literally willing to pay an update fee to be able to use the spire rack extension an have it fit to the same scale as the rack :)

I love the vst. And I feel like if it looked better it would probably even do better with new users. It does seem to be in the rent to own, and other promos.

I still hold on to hope that respire gets finished, even if it costs a little. I don’t think that there’s too much work to be done. Just GUI rearranging. Pretty please :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

25 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
24 Dec 2018
The stepper needs to be on one page instead of two like it is now.
Correct. Someone posted a model picture of respire having all the controls on one page. I think the matrix, stepper, and arp were part of one custom display which would let you basically have the switchable panel (in theory)

scratchnsnifff

25 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
23 May 2017
Kombucha wrote:
Can back panel knobs be automated ?
Only when they are tied to knobs on the front like on ABL3.
Hey so I have an idea. Might it be possible for a developer to contact the props for help to resize a GUI? What are your personal thoughts. Are they willing to help with stuff like this? I know it’s taken a long while for the audio glitches and bugs to get worked out. But now all that’s left is the weird use of space lol.

This is a case where I feel like it would be cool to see a helping hand from the props themselves. But idk how likely that scenario is :p

joeyluck

25 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Dec 2018
joeyluck wrote:
23 May 2017

Only when they are tied to knobs on the front like on ABL3.
Hey so I have an idea. Might it be possible for a developer to contact the props for help to resize a GUI? What are your personal thoughts. Are they willing to help with stuff like this? I know it’s taken a long while for the audio glitches and bugs to get worked out. But now all that’s left is the weird use of space lol.

This is a case where I feel like it would be cool to see a helping hand from the props themselves. But idk how likely that scenario is :p
I think it's unnecessary when there are examples such as VK-2 that are the same scale and rack size. When I put Respire and VK-2 next to each other, they look like two big peas in a pod.

It's definitely on the devs to update a GUI if they feel the need.

scratchnsnifff

26 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
25 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Dec 2018

I think it's unnecessary when there are examples such as VK-2 that are the same scale and rack size. When I put Respire and VK-2 next to each other, they look like two big peas in a pod.

i Definitely understand reworking a UI is the developers choice. However I was wondering if its ever been heard of where a developer needs help, and the props jump in for a helping hand

But as for my opinion on the UI
Sure it works. But it could definitely use improvement. Vk2 works, because it doesn’t have the stepper/arp plus effects. It just has the switchable panel

I also don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want the Re to look and function just like the VST? (Skins excluded)

That one mock-up is literally perfect. The stepper and arp being in the open (for editing) is such a difference in workflow.

It’s a weird topic for me because I love the sound, but the Re just doesn’t have a finished feel. It’s only the GUI that errks my taters lol
By the way, I am in no way trying to be negative towards you or reveal or anyone. Just trying to share thoughts :p

joeyluck

26 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Dec 2018
joeyluck wrote:
25 Dec 2018

i Definitely understand reworking a UI is the developers choice. However I was wondering if its ever been heard of where a developer needs help, and the props jump in for a helping hand

Sure it works. But it could definitely use improvement. Vk2 works, because it doesn’t have the stepper/arp plus effects. It just has the switchable panel

I also don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want the Re to look and function just like the VST? (Skins excluded)

That one mock-up is literally perfect. The stepper and arp being in the open (for editing) is such a difference in workflow.

It’s a weird topic for me because I love the sound, but the Re just doesn’t have a finished feel. It’s only the GUI that errks my taters lol
By the way, I am in no way trying to be negative towards you or reveal or anyone. Just trying to share thoughts :p
Oh you're all good!

I think Propellerhead has helped some folks perhaps with GUI stuff? Maybe they even helped Reveal already? But I would imagine most of that happens during the creation stages. I don't imagine anybody would be contracting the help of Propellerhead to fine-tune something that is really done and works GUI-wise, or Propellerhead offering help for free for something that is done and functions. Not sure about any of that...

It's interesting what we all expect to see when we become used to something or have something to reference. If Respire were only a RE and there was no VST to compare to, what would people be ok with? And it's really not even that off.

I look at something like Expanse, and I'm sure people have also made suggestions for it? But I guess I feel I see less complaints about the tiny OSC sequence section, which has its steps on multiple pages.

I'm certainly not against people making GUI suggestions. Shoot I was the one who created the mockup and proposed the drastic downsize of RP-Verb by 4U. It was originally a 9U and I proposed changes to make it a 5U. For me personally, I felt that made a huge difference; there was just so much space. And Rob Papen answered and they agreed and liked the idea...and then did the same for RP-Distort.

RP_Verb-5U.png
RP_Verb-5U.png (218.02 KiB) Viewed 571 times
While on the topic of Rob Papen, I remember when people were hoping for the same GUI for Predator as found on the VST. It was updated to look cleaner, but still wasn't made to look like the VST. And originally pages and panels weren't possible. But even after the fact, I find I prefer the RE look and layout. And Rob Papen could technically revisit it I guess to update it to look like the VST? But it works.

I'm not against the idea of Respire's GUI getting an edit. I guess I just don't understand some of the strong opinions of others against the Respire GUI and the developer. There's more examples than Blamsoft, and I don't mean to point at them to say they're doing anything wrong, because I think it's fine. But when you have VK-2 that is the same scale as Respire and Expanse which uses tiny displays for things as well, I find it hard to understand why some people are so upset over Respire. I've never used the VST, so the RE is what I know and it works. The mockup looks like a slight improvement and I wouldn't mind it, but I wouldn't be upset if it remains as is. That's all.

scratchnsnifff

26 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
26 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Dec 2018

Oh you're all good!

I think Propellerhead has helped some folks perhaps with GUI stuff? Maybe they even helped Reveal already? But I would imagine most of that happens during the creation stages. I don't imagine anybody would be contracting the help of Propellerhead to fine-tune something that is really done and works GUI-wise, or Propellerhead offering help for free for something that is done and functions. Not sure about any of that...

It's interesting what we all expect to see when we become used to something or have something to reference. If Respire were only a RE and there was no VST to compare to, what would people be ok with? And it's really not even that off.

I look at something like Expanse, and I'm sure people have also made suggestions for it? But I guess I feel I see less complaints about the tiny OSC sequence section, which has its steps on multiple pages.

I'm certainly not against people making GUI suggestions. Shoot I was the one who created the mockup and proposed the drastic downsize of RP-Verb by 4U. It was originally a 9U and I proposed changes to make it a 5U. For me personally, I felt that made a huge difference; there was just so much space. And Rob Papen answered and they agreed and liked the idea...and then did the same for RP-Distort.

RP_Verb-5U.png

While on the topic of Rob Papen, I remember when people were hoping for the same GUI for Predator as found on the VST. It was updated to look cleaner, but still wasn't made to look like the VST. And originally pages and panels weren't possible. But even after the fact, I find I prefer the RE look and layout. And Rob Papen could technically revisit it I guess to update it to look like the VST? But it works.

I'm not against the idea of Respire's GUI getting an edit. I guess I just don't understand some of the strong opinions of others against the Respire GUI and the developer. There's more examples than Blamsoft, and I don't mean to point at them to say they're doing anything wrong, because I think it's fine. But when you have VK-2 that is the same scale as Respire and Expanse which uses tiny displays for things as well, I find it hard to understand why some people are so upset over Respire. I've never used the VST, so the RE is what I know and it works. The mockup looks like a slight improvement and I wouldn't mind it, but I wouldn't be upset if it remains as is. That's all.
I couldn’t imagine rp verb being Thor sized haha.
Yeah it is a sort of personal taste thing, but at the same time I’m just trying to come from the angle of getting the Re to fit the same easy workflow as the vst. Mainly because the Re is soooooo close.
I mean the knobs would have to be smaller to make the stepper/matrix be all one page.
As for the vst. It works as you would expect by just dragging the curves or by getting the drop down menus

The Re has what expanse 1.0 has where everything is click and scroll/drag

Haha I might be ocd about Respire because I’d rather use the Re but i find it too time consuming to program sequences. And in the vst, it’s as easy as any other.
I know they said they would consider the GUI stuff plus CV in/out a while ago. Lol I guess at this point it would be nice to know if this iteration of Respire is the last. But to give credit where it’s due, they had quite a rocky start with Re with the pre release version dilemma when vst was announced. But even through all that stuff they pulled off a perfect recreation of their sound engine :D
I do love to use respire just for the oscillators and FM, overall they did still pretty much kill it on their first Re product.
Anyways, I have to head to bed. Hope you had a great holiday season :D

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Dec 2018

ReSpire / VK-2 isn’t really an apples-to-apples comparison. VK-2 uses five different sizes of knobs to create a visual hierarchy, reserving the very largest ones for things like filter cutoff and oscillator tuning. ReSpire doesn’t have any visual hierarchy at all: the knobs are all the same size.

The fact that ReSpire uses large knobs isn’t the problem; even Thor has macro and volume knobs of a similar scale. It’s that they are all the largest size on ReSpire, rather than a hierarchy of sizes, that makes the UI look out of scale to the rest of the rack.

two shoes

27 Dec 2018

I wouldn't hold your breath for this or any other feature (or bug fix) requests for Respire. I exchanged emails with them earlier this year ago regarding their plans for Respire and any timeline for those plans. While they didn't come right out and say they had abandoned it I definitely didn't get the impression it was a top priority. They seemed confused why I cared about Respire now that I could "just use the VST" in Reason and implied it would be a waste of their development resources to continue updating it when they could be developing VSTs instead which are "for everybody" while Reason is "just a few people". It's a neat synth but I can't stand it when developers take the position that they shouldn't be bothered about updating their software or even fixing bugs because something isn't selling as well as they'd hoped. Softube also sounded to me like they're done with the RE format when I asked them about updating their REs to the mk2 versions that have been out for a while now. I won't be purchasing anything from Reveal or Softube in any format going forward unless they start supporting their existing REs again.

• Information