Complex from Propellerhead

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

23 Dec 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
22 Dec 2018
For something that's modular the most odd thing about it is that all the modules are stuck together in a static non-modular fashion with no way to remove modules; the intention is that you don't remove them, you just don't use the modules you don't want to use, but you still have to look at them. I was hoping for a real Euro rack emulation at some point. That said I feel Props has done a great thing with front facing slidable cables. Complex-1 is so "Propellerhead" in my opinion. Plop a giant non-standard interface in the middle of a previously existing land of confusion and you can be "Propellerhead" too. This thing is as daring as taking early Reason and plopping a giant SSL emulation on top of it. Jarring. Strange. Unfriendly. Yet very powerful once you get used to it. They are Homer Simpson in software company form.

Still better than Burns, Wiggem or Flanders... And don't forget, Homer is smart enough to be an astronaut and saved the world several times.

I agree, that beeing a "Lisa" as a music company would be probably the best compliment.
Reason12, Win10

SoundObjects

23 Dec 2018

I am sure we all could find some technical improvements or things we had expected
inside Complex/Reason - and over time I am also sure props will do some improvements.

But remember also to make some music and not use all time on technical issues.

Your moralizer. :)
The Universe Is Vibrating

tanni

23 Dec 2018

SoundObjects wrote:
23 Dec 2018

But remember also to make some music and not use all time on technical issues.
Hey, thats a good note here. People, make more music :thumbs_up:

svenh

23 Dec 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
21 Dec 2018
I am overwhelmed ... will have some playtime over christmas.

I've just been throwing my REndmozier on complex ... need to create some meaningfull randomization rules first.

But it's really nice doing random exploration. Here is a short 15 minute 'Let's REndomize'

Wow, what is this python framework you use that allows to access and randomize the RE parameters in real time?

svenh

23 Dec 2018

tibah wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Hurray! Nice stuff. Now make it a VST as well and bundle it with Reason... soon-ish! ;)
For me that is not into modular (yet ;) ) this is a very nice RE - it seems versatile enough without being overwhelming - WELL DONE Props!

It would be great to have it as VST too!

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

svenh wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Wow, what is this python framework you use that allows to access and randomize the RE parameters in real time?
That's Jupyter Notebook and looks to be controlling Complex through midi messages as if it was a midi controller. I think it just reads a Remote map file and uses that to identify what messages it can send.

He says it's for a product he's developing called ReCode:RePlay

svenh

23 Dec 2018

avasopht wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Looks interesting! Then I guess its out of the question to get the python code to play with myself...

Nielsen

23 Dec 2018

Interesting and slightly intimidating. I hope Propellerhead will follow up with some kind of introduction video to modular synthesis. I know there are limitless possibilities, but just something covering basic concepts and demonstrating a few step by step examples on initiating signal flows for cool musical results.

Looking at preset wiring may show various recipes, but it does not educate like a step by step demonstration. I probably need to read the manual. :D

Reasonable man

23 Dec 2018

I wish they'd just put it in the rewards section until Boxing day or something....... give our poor pockets a break, This is exactly what the rewards section should be acessable for.

BananaSkins

23 Dec 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
23 Dec 2018
I wish they'd just put it in the rewards section until Boxing day or something....... give our poor pockets a break, This is exactly what the rewards section should be acessable for.
Your Right there!

Not many negative things to come out of propellerhead; but as of this moment in time 'The Rewards Scheme' is one of them... :thumbs_down:

cognitive

23 Dec 2018

Nielsen wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Interesting and slightly intimidating. I hope Propellerhead will follow up with some kind of introduction video to modular synthesis. I know there are limitless possibilities, but just something covering basic concepts and demonstrating a few step by step examples on initiating signal flows for cool musical results.

Looking at preset wiring may show various recipes, but it does not educate like a step by step demonstration. I probably need to read the manual. :D
How's your German? ;)

cognitive

23 Dec 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Reasonable man wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Your Right there!

Not many negative things to come out of propellerhead; but as of this moment in time 'The Rewards Scheme' is one of them... :thumbs_down:
Only 9 REs, and I already have the ones I want, such as The Legend. :(

Nielsen

23 Dec 2018

cognitive wrote:
23 Dec 2018
How's your German? ;)

My German is not good enough for a synth tutorial, but I suppose there's still some watch and learn to get from videos like this. Thanks.

AttenuationHz

23 Dec 2018

Nielsen wrote:
23 Dec 2018
cognitive wrote:
23 Dec 2018
How's your German? ;)

My German is not good enough for a synth tutorial, but I suppose there's still some watch and learn to get from videos like this. Thanks.
Click settings and translate to English then turn on CC ;)
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

cognitive

23 Dec 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
23 Dec 2018
Nielsen wrote:
23 Dec 2018

Click settings and translate to English then turn on CC ;)
Nice tip. :thumbs_up:

This is one of those, "I was today years old when I learned this." :lol:

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2018

Been using it for barely a few minutes and it's already one of my favourite additions of all time.

Combining it with Thor and Subtractor or other Complex devices to control the signal brings another dimension, ... plus that control can also be at the sample level so I've just been playing around with a cool little FM signal chain. I'm really not one for FM but Complex is perfect for it.

Might be worth compiling findings into a blog post for reference, such as the mapping between other devices Selig mentioned.

theshoemaker

23 Dec 2018

svenh wrote:
23 Dec 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
21 Dec 2018
I am overwhelmed ... will have some playtime over christmas.

I've just been throwing my REndmozier on complex ... need to create some meaningfull randomization rules first.

But it's really nice doing random exploration. Here is a short 15 minute 'Let's REndomize'

This is something I'm working on for some time now. It's almost finished. It is a remote coded based framework with some code generation inside, ultimately sending and receiving midi messages. It's generating the map files for my generic codec based on the Remote Info Files you can export from reason since Version 9.2. So only Remotables are supported. Luckily there are lot of good devices for randomizing. So far I have been working on user interface prototype, but this still takes some time. I had patch morphing in a early stage, which got broken in between because of how I implemented the codec and the framework. Then I switch over to a SysEx based codec, which worked good so far. And I just recently switch back to a Normal Midi Codec where I use one Codec per Device. The codec is generic, so in theory, you can rermote control as many devices as you like to. You just have to modify the codec a bit (but I will also automate this, so that everything gets generated and installed into the right place by the script). My ultimate plan is to have a python host (small script) and an RE with a serialization protocol over sysex, that can store all the scripting in a device patch for a custom RE ... but this is way beyond my knowledge right now. Have to figure out how to write this serialization protocol.

I already wanted to launch BETA 3 Month ago, but I got sidetracked (as I just do this in my sparetime, besides full day job and family). I have to cleanup some stuff, but I used it quite extensively over the last 6-12 month. Every device is supported out of the box, and to have more specific rules that make more sense on more envolved devices It's quite forward writing a specific and meaningful randomization algorithm for a new device ...

So far I really love working with eXpanse, because of what you can control. Subtractor is also enjoyable. Simple devices in general, the ones from Skrock are very good for this stuff. I guess some more, but I didn't try so many. The props ones are almost all limited. I would have love to throw ReCode:RePlay on PX7, but it lacks a lot of remotables. And Malström would also have been superior if it weren't for the lack of the wave remotable.

Anywhay. Back to topic: Complex-1 needs more work in this division. Because of it's more open/modular architecture. It just love the workflow with complex. Happy patching! I've just been playing for 1-2 hours today on a percussive patch. Very enjoyable
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

manisnotabird

24 Dec 2018

Nielsen wrote:
23 Dec 2018
I hope Propellerhead will follow up with some kind of introduction video to modular synthesis. I know there are limitless possibilities, but just something covering basic concepts and demonstrating a few step by step examples on initiating signal flows for cool musical results.
In recent years it seems like Propellerheads have drastically scaled back their tutorial video budget, which is very disappointing because their in-house made tutorial videos were very good (punchy, informative, technically accurate, clear, musically-interesting), and many of the third-party videos they've promoted or paid for have been... less good, let's say.

theshoemaker

24 Dec 2018

avasopht wrote:
23 Dec 2018
svenh wrote:
23 Dec 2018
That's Jupyter Notebook and looks to be controlling Complex through midi messages as if it was a midi controller. I think it just reads a Remote map file and uses that to identify what messages it can send.

Still undecided wether it’s going to be a product or open source. But let‘s not derail this thread. Just PM me or find the official thread. Search for ReCode:RePlay
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Oquasec

24 Dec 2018

Dude, the shit you askin for, ain't in reason or reaktor like that.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2018

Was feeling really proud of my little Complex patches, ...

... and then I went and loaded up the patches that came with it, ... :cry:

Was lots of fun anyway. My FM cymbals need a lot of work, though I do like the sound I've got with them.

Best Christmas, .... ever !!! :puf_bigsmile:

normen

24 Dec 2018

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Dec 2018

normen wrote:
24 Dec 2018
It's almost as if people have been asking for this for years :puf_bigsmile:

MrBlue

26 Dec 2018

Complex-1 inside !

AttenuationHz

26 Dec 2018

:thumbs_up:
MrBlue wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Complex-1 inside !
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information