What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

25 Nov 2018

I’ve spent a lot more time in the editor lately, and one thing that’s been driving me absolutely bonkers is the zoom settings/view changes that happen whenever I need to undo something. they really need to at least have the option for undos to retain current position and zoom...and while they’re at it, similar options to ignore mute, solo, and some other stuff like loop marker positioning when undoing changes would be super welcome.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

26 Nov 2018

Out of my quite a substantial least of feature requests, probably the biggest one is track folders.

I do a lot of automation on the instruments, so for example when I have Maelstorm + Pulveriser + The Scream + The Echo and I want to automate some parameters in every one of them + the SSL channel's EQ, then I'm ending up with 5 separate tracks in Sequencer. And that's just for one sound, really.

So, either make it so that automation lanes for the mix channel and devices within it belong to a single Sequencer track, or at least give us track folders so we could pack those separate tracks up into one, tidy group.

scratchnsnifff

26 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Out of my quite a substantial least of feature requests, probably the biggest one is track folders.

I do a lot of automation on the instruments, so for example when I have Maelstorm + Pulveriser + The Scream + The Echo and I want to automate some parameters in every one of them + the SSL channel's EQ, then I'm ending up with 5 separate tracks in Sequencer. And that's just for one sound, really.

So, either make it so that automation lanes for the mix channel and devices within it belong to a single Sequencer track, or at least give us track folders so we could pack those separate tracks up into one, tidy group.
I try to avoid stuff like this by having all my main parameters inside a combinator which kind of helps. But once you go beyond the pitch and mod wheel plus the rotaries, other tracks start to add up

Along side track folders, I really hope they add input text from the combinator to the sequencer.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

C//AZM

26 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
25 Nov 2018
I’ve spent a lot more time in the editor lately, and one thing that’s been driving me absolutely bonkers is the zoom settings/view changes that happen whenever I need to undo something. they really need to at least have the option for undos to retain current position and zoom...and while they’re at it, similar options to ignore mute, solo, and some other stuff like loop marker positioning when undoing changes would be super welcome.
Yes Yes Yes.
Somewhere in this long thread... or in the formal feature request area is my moan about just that. It's like all I want to do is undo that one little thing but I'm undoing solos and zooms?

I thought this new harmony I put in the lead keyboard part would work well, but now it's clashing with something.
Zoom out, listen to how it leads into that part;
Which track is clashing? SOLO; That one?
No,
UNSOLO, SOLO other track; That one?
No
No
No
YES but that's the correct line, so undo the newer part.

In that instance it takes ELEVEN undos just to go back to the one harmony change.
Wasted/inefficient time.

Put the option to remove the unnecessary moves in preferences, or simply remove them!
IMHO, remove Zoom, solo, mute, change color and rename from the undo list.

guitfnky

26 Nov 2018

C//AZM wrote:
26 Nov 2018
guitfnky wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Yes Yes Yes.
Somewhere in this long thread... or in the formal feature request area is my moan about just that. It's like all I want to do is undo that one little thing but I'm undoing solos and zooms?

I thought this new harmony I put in the lead keyboard part would work well, but now it's clashing with something.
Zoom out, listen to how it leads into that part;
Which track is clashing? SOLO; That one?
No,
No
No
No
YES but that's the correct line, so undo the newer part.

In that instance it takes ELEVEN undos just to go back to the one harmony change.
Wasted/inefficient time.

Put the option to remove the unnecessary moves in preferences, or simply remove them!
yeah, that’s a horrible, all-too-common scenario. the worst part for me (and maybe just because I’m up past 40 now), is that if I lose my train of thought and do an undo, I want to visually see what I’ve undone to make sure it’s what I want. I don’t want to burn myself by thinking I’ve undone a delete, but really I undid a moved note or something else. it’s so distracting to have to re-find where I was to make sure the undo did what I was expecting.

ejanuska

26 Nov 2018

All I wanted are keyboard shortcuts to enter comp, pitch correction or slice modes.
Not very confident even something as simple as that is possible.

To the rest of those suggestions...
Don't hold your breath.

C//AZM

26 Nov 2018

ejanuska wrote:
26 Nov 2018
All I wanted are keyboard shortcuts to enter comp, pitch correction or slice modes.
Not very confident even something as simple as that is possible.

To the rest of those suggestions...
Don't hold your breath.
Takes deep breath, crosses fingers... :lol:

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

guitfnky wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Yeah annoying what Reason undoes sometimes. Reason really needs an Undo Events List which is customisable (I'd take certain things out such as what you said, colouring and marker movements etc) and also searchable. Search Thor and all undo events that contain the word Thor in them appear. Also the undo amount needs upping to 1000. I know 300 sounds a lot but it can be exceeded in an hour or so easily.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

guitfnky

26 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
26 Nov 2018
and also searchable. Search Thor and all undo events that contain the word Thor in them appear.
I can't put into words how good an idea this is. I'm guessing other DAWs have done this? it's been a long time since I've used Digital Performer. I know it had an undo list, but I don't remember it being searchable.

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
26 Nov 2018

Or a show/ hide automation key. Logic uses A and I really like it. Not A - Automation lanes appear, hit the A key again and poor....gone again.

Creativemind

26 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Funny.. so 10.2 is announced in late August, gets released in September... and 2 out of the 4 of the new features were on the list in this thread.

Yet no one even mentioned it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Think they were. Adjust Multiple Faders was anyway. I was stoked when they added that as I'm sure plenty of other people were. I'm just hoping a feature or 2 aside from the optimisation of vst is added in the next update.

nooomy

18 Dec 2018

nooomy wrote:
26 Aug 2018
A new euro rack rack extension with cabels on the front :D wouldn't that be cool?

I just want to say i was right! :D

MAL9000

19 Dec 2018

Apologies if this has been suggested already.
How about adding a "Loan Rack Extension" feature to allow Band mates/ Colleagues to Borrow a RE from me for a specific time frame. When loaned the RE in question will not be available to me to use in a NEW track(as in I cannot create an instance of the device and use it, just like a piece of hardware you loaned out).... BUT........ tracks I have used the device on still open the RE albeit in a version that has been rendered or something similar. As in when a device is loaned, and you open a track with a loaned device in it, a reason dialogue pops up "A device in this track is on Loan. Render Audio?" This could be linked to the "Track Freeze" function we all know is coming eventually or turn the RE into a "Player" version of the device that cannot be edited.
Just a thought. As you were.

selig
RE Developer

19 Dec 2018

nooomy wrote:
18 Dec 2018
nooomy wrote:
26 Aug 2018
A new euro rack rack extension with cabels on the front :D wouldn't that be cool?

I just want to say i was right! :D
You WERE right, it IS cool!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

19 Dec 2018

MAL9000 wrote:
19 Dec 2018
Apologies if this has been suggested already.
How about adding a "Loan Rack Extension" feature to allow Band mates/ Colleagues to Borrow a RE from me for a specific time frame. When loaned the RE in question will not be available to me to use in a NEW track(as in I cannot create an instance of the device and use it, just like a piece of hardware you loaned out).... BUT........ tracks I have used the device on still open the RE albeit in a version that has been rendered or something similar. As in when a device is loaned, and you open a track with a loaned device in it, a reason dialogue pops up "A device in this track is on Loan. Render Audio?" This could be linked to the "Track Freeze" function we all know is coming eventually or turn the RE into a "Player" version of the device that cannot be edited.
Just a thought. As you were.
this is an interesting concept. I was thinking about that session-sharing problem the other day, too, and had some similar ideas. it would be sweet if you could share a file and instead of having the other user warned of missing REs (and replacing them with cardboard 😆), have it ask if they want to freeze the track(s)—then it would run the installer, and run the track through the rack extension normally, but freeze it, so you can’t modify any of the RE settings that you don’t own. that way you’re hearing exactly what the sender heard, and can continue working on the project.

OR, make it so Rack Extensions you don’t own can only be run in offline mode (the way plugins used to have to be run way back 20+ years ago), where you can still make changes to the settings, but you can’t hear the changes real-time—you would have to render the result to the track to hear it. it would have to be handled differently for processing REs vs instruments and Players, but could maybe be a way to open up collaboration opportunities for Reason users.

Wobbleburger

19 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
21 Jun 2018
- disabling of tracks, so that the devices there don't consume any DSP,
Yes please!
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

timbuk295

22 Dec 2018

Audio clip crossfades, but done right so that:
a) implement automatically when dragging clips to overlap
b) you can choose the crossfade curve/shape
c) comping for each individual clip is unaffected (clips aren't automatically joined)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zebbleganubi

22 Dec 2018

if i only had a choice of one thing to be ever updated in reason it would be track folders in the sequencer. it really bothers me having a main track with lots of small filler clips underneath that are only few seconds long but they take up full lanes vertically. a lot of the time i find myself not adding or experimenting as much as i might want to because i know it will only make it harder to navigate around to the other tracks. with track folders you could just hide it all out of the way until you need it

scratchnsnifff

25 Dec 2018

Idk if I ever posted in here. But in any feature wishlist I must add the combinator 2 :)

Iv been stacking mad devices lately and having copy and paste between multiple instances would be soooo handy.
I’d be good with just copy and paste, input text translate to sequencer, and more matrix slots.

However if they do decide to make a new one. I surely hope they keep every single feature and add to the existing feature set.

I like that concept of building, take what you have and add to it :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

- better stock compressor (preferably w some character)
- better master bus EQ, so we can EQ w more precision

Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

chaosroyale

26 Dec 2018

These 2 are pretty common requests, I'd be happy with a slight variation:

-Mclass compressor adds a wet/dry knob and a second more colored "vintage" / "tube" / "tape" /whatever mode (use a button to toggle). You could keep 100% backwards compatibility and get a much wider range of sounds without needing to make a whole new overly specialized compressor.

-Mclass EQ gets one or two extra para bands and a slightly more accurate front display (that shows the actual curves better). Again, you keep 100% backwards compatibility. Add a proper sweepable low and high pass filter with 6/12/24 slopes if you really want to (the current 30Hz one is not very useful).

These are 2 pretty small changes but they would make a huge difference to the workflow and usability. Especially the Mclass EQ, right now I have to use VST EQs instead, because it simply doesn't have enough bands. Having to use 2 separate Mclass units to EQ one sound leads to all kinds of time wasting and confusion.
Desmondblack wrote:
26 Dec 2018

seqoi

26 Dec 2018

My wishes.

When it comes to FX and processing Reason is done (for me). They have RE format and we are getting inspiring devices on monthly base.

I WANT better integration with hardware instruments and FX. Not saying this is not doable in Reason it is but it's cumbersome when compared to Ableton External FX or External instrument - plugin

Almost every other DAW i know of have this feature. Cubase has it, Reaper has it. FL Studio has it. All doing same thing.

You basically have native plugin inside Ableton or Cubase (etc.) called External FX and you load it and it can select your audio card I/O to which you previously routed FX. When you load it it will automatically (ping) detect delay in a signal path and align everything (if needed). You can even save it as a preset.

So for example i route Lexicon reverb to it. Save routing in preset. And call preset "Lexicon Reverb". And i can later load it just as any other plugin inside session. Where needed. Same for instruments.

So i have everything patched up and later i simply work with it in the box via drag and drop. Of course this is not as versatile as loading as many plugins/extensions as you want (it's individual hardware) but it's great having those things. In Reason i have to route two channels only to be able to use hardware reverb. And calculate roundtrip manually.

Anyway in my opinion this (better hardware integration) would make Reason more accessible and desirable to people which uses hardware.

Desmondblack
Competition Winner

26 Dec 2018

chaosroyale wrote:These 2 are pretty common requests, I'd be happy with a slight variation:

-Mclass compressor adds a wet/dry knob and a second more colored "vintage" / "tube" / "tape" /whatever mode (use a button to toggle). You could keep 100% backwards compatibility and get a much wider range of sounds without needing to make a whole new overly specialized compressor.

-Mclass EQ gets one or two extra para bands and a slightly more accurate front display (that shows the actual curves better). Again, you keep 100% backwards compatibility. Add a proper sweepable low and high pass filter with 6/12/24 slopes if you really want to (the current 30Hz one is not very useful).

These are 2 pretty small changes but they would make a huge difference to the workflow and usability. Especially the Mclass EQ, right now I have to use VST EQs instead, because it simply doesn't have enough bands. Having to use 2 separate Mclass units to EQ one sound leads to all kinds of time wasting and confusion.
Desmondblack wrote:
26 Dec 2018

Good sir, thank you for eloquently laying out my desires!

Can't produce in the bedroom - people are sleeping there!

Creativemind

26 Dec 2018

C//AZM wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Yes, have an Undo Events List so you can go back to the specific undo but also what'd be great would be the ability to search the undo history and customize it so you could uncheck certain undo event types (if this wasn't too hard to code?) such as zooming, re-ordering, muting, colouring and soloing.

antic604

27 Dec 2018

Desmondblack wrote:
26 Dec 2018
Why wouldn't you use REs or VSTs for that?

• Information