FabFilter -25% sale

Discuss VST stuff here!
antic604

17 Dec 2018

Until 1st of Jan FabFilter is running a -25% Holiday Sale

https://www.fabfilter.com/

Few tips:
- if you want to get a bundle but already have some of their plugins, go & see Personal Offers under the My Account tab and build your bundle there - for example Mastering Bundle for me is cheaper EUR11 that way; not a lot but always something,
- if you're not FabFilter customer yet, ask your friend - who is - to send you an e-mail using FabFilter's form right below Personal Offers - you'll get the 10% discount, (s)he'll get EUR10 towards their next purchase once you make the purchase,

BTW, if anyone wants I can send them that e-mail, just PM me with your details
Last edited by antic604 on 17 Dec 2018, edited 2 times in total.

minilog

17 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
The mastering bundle is very tempting since I was already thinking about getting Pro Q 3. What details must I send? ;)

antic604

17 Dec 2018

minilog wrote:
17 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
The mastering bundle is very tempting since I was already thinking about getting Pro Q 3. What details must I send? ;)
Do you have any FabFilter plugins? Because I just found out it only works for non-customers.

If you're not FabFilter customer yet, then just send me your e-mail.

minilog

17 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Do you have any FabFilter plugins? Because I just found out it only works for non-customers.

If you're not FabFilter customer yet, then just send me your e-mail.
Not a customer. Email sent. Many thanks! :)

EnochLight

17 Dec 2018

This is reaaaaally tempting - I've been eyeing Fab Filter's stuff for years. That said, now that I've thrown myself into iZotope's Ozone 8/Neutron 2 ecosystem, there's too much overlap in features for me. The only thing that makes Fab Filter's stuff still attractive is the GUI/UX - I still say they're probably the best in the industry, IMHO. Pro Q3/Pro C2 and full-screen on a 4K monitor looks freak'n magical!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

17 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2018
This is reaaaaally tempting - I've been eyeing Fab Filter's stuff for years. That said, now that I've thrown myself into iZotope's Ozone 8/Neutron 2 ecosystem, there's too much overlap in features for me. The only thing that makes Fab Filter's stuff still attractive is the GUI/UX - I still say they're probably the best in the industry, IMHO. Pro Q3/Pro C2 and full-screen on a 4K monitor looks freak'n magical!
I'd say FabFilter stuff is in a different league, at least in terms of workflow and CPU consumption.

I got N2 Advanced 2nd hand shortly after it came out because of the hype, but ended up not really using it much, because - for what it does - it's really CPU heavy. For example I had high hopes for Tonal Balance Control module but it turned out, my mixes were already spot on, as 30 years of listening & making music trained my hearing. The mix assistant is nice, but I have a feeling it always proposes the same setup, with just small variation as to the parameters... Then I got O8 Standard as a cross-grade and for stand-alone use and I really liked it at first, but as time went by I realised that I can get very comparable results using individual plugins, often stock ones so I also stopped using it for "mastering" my stuff... Actually just writing the above makes me want to sell them :(

minilog

17 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
The mix assistant is nice, but I have a feeling it always proposes the same setup, with just small variation as to the parameters...
I feel the same way about the Assistant but I'll admit I was intrigued at first!
antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Then I got O8 Standard as a cross-grade and for stand-alone use and I really liked it at first, but as time went by I realised that I can get very comparable results using individual plugins, often stock ones so I also stopped using it for "mastering" my stuff... Actually just writing the above makes me want to sell them :(
Same. The thought of selling my O8 Advanced actually crossed my mind before reading that. My mastering chain is already mostly Plugin Alliance.

EnochLight

17 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Dec 2018
I'd say FabFilter stuff is in a different league, at least in terms of workflow and CPU consumption.

I got N2 Advanced 2nd hand shortly after it came out because of the hype, but ended up not really using it much, because - for what it does - it's really CPU heavy. For example I had high hopes for Tonal Balance Control module but it turned out, my mixes were already spot on, as 30 years of listening & making music trained my hearing. The mix assistant is nice, but I have a feeling it always proposes the same setup, with just small variation as to the parameters... Then I got O8 Standard as a cross-grade and for stand-alone use and I really liked it at first, but as time went by I realised that I can get very comparable results using individual plugins, often stock ones so I also stopped using it for "mastering" my stuff... Actually just writing the above makes me want to sell them :(
Interesting. I feel the same way about N2O8 - it's in an entirely different league as far as workflow is concerned. When you speak of CPU consumption, I don't use Reason as a reference (due to it's obvious issue forcing 64 samples buffers for VST). In Studio One, I find N2O8 extremely light on CPU consumption. I expect to see similar results in Reason once the VST-performance fix is released. That said, I've never compared any of Fab Filter's stuff to N2O8 in Studio One.

As far as N2O8's Tonal Balance control, I've had similar results (likely also due to my decades of mixing as well). I do love Mix Assistant, though, as it shaves a metric shit ton of time off of my mixing process, and time is of essence for me these days.

Would I have to do all of that manually "the old fashioned way" with Fab Filter stuff as separate plugins? If so, then it's just eye candy for me, as I can already obtain most of that with stock Reason devices, main mixer features, and 3rd party RE's that I already have, doing it like I've always been doing it for decades.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

17 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
17 Dec 2018
I guess it just comes down to personal preference?
Indeed. Regarding CPU I was testing it with Bitwig and Live and wasn't impressed... But again, I'm working on SP4 so I can't expect miracles :)

BTW, it's good to read stuff - I was hyped to get FabFilter's mastering bundle but I found out that Pro Q-3 can't do dynamic sidechained EQ, so - for example - it can't duck the low-end of my synth line or bass in response to the low-end of the kick. Like, WTF? I mean N2 can do it, DQ Rack Extension (+few others) can do it, heck - I can even do it in Bitwig with native devices...

It's just that the GUIs and workflow are soooooo awesome in FabFilter! I think I'll end up getting their stuff only for creative FX, like the Saturn, Timeless, Pro-R...

BRIGGS

17 Dec 2018

If you guys don't already have Saturn, I highly recommend it!!! :puf_smile:
r11s

jayhosking

17 Dec 2018

Thanks for the informative thread, all!

Does anyone know about FabFilter’s reverb? I’m mostly curious about it over their other plug-ins.

And as much as Izotope’s stuff fascinates me, the combination of their unnecessarily complicated naming/bundle schemes, and the horrific sound quality of their voice-over work (de-essed until it sounds terrible!), has kept me away from being in on their stuff. I enjoyed their maximizer when I trialled it in Reason, though!

danc

17 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Does anyone know about FabFilter’s reverb? I’m mostly curious about it over their other plug-ins.
Before you press the trigger on FabFilter's reverb... consider carefully what type of reverb you want and check out the plethora of options out there. Why???? Because your audience listen to music, not see the pretty graphics on how you made it. Are you compromising end result for fun animations? I trialled a lot of reverbs over the last month and opted after careful review for Eventide Ultraverb (it was $49 or something like that in the BF sales). For me it was leaps and bounds better than FF reverb in terms of end result for what I wanted. Anyway... if pretty is more important than result... then FF reverb yourself happy.

(Yes - that's my personal opinion - granted!)
jayhosking wrote:
17 Dec 2018
And as much as Izotope’s stuff fascinates me, the combination of their unnecessarily complicated naming/bundle schemes, and the horrific sound quality of their voice-over work (de-essed until it sounds terrible!), has kept me away from being in on their stuff. I enjoyed their maximizer when I trialled it in Reason, though!
I fell for O8N2 Advanced last Christmas - because like a lot of people it was on offer and the reviews and marketing was HOT. Then it sat for months not getting used because I failed to really appreciate its power and felt like I was using it out of thinking I should rather than it helping me. Then in the last 6 months I have been slowly using the individual plug-ins and starting to really appreciate its power. Ok... it's not the total solution for your mixing and mastering chains.... like... for mastering I've started to use Plugin Alliance's Black Box HG-2 (which I got in the recent sale for $69) and this HG-2 beast is stunning for adding overall sheeeeeen. Sat alongside O8 - not a replacement of it.
Check my Soundcloud:

jayhosking

17 Dec 2018

danc wrote:
17 Dec 2018
jayhosking wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Before you press the trigger on FabFilter's reverb... consider carefully what type of reverb you want and check out the plethora of options out there. Why???? Because your audience listen to music, not see the pretty graphics on how you made it. Are you compromising end result for fun animations? I trialled a lot of reverbs over the last month and opted after careful review for Eventide Ultraverb (it was $49 or something like that in the BF sales). For me it was leaps and bounds better than FF reverb in terms of end result for what I wanted. Anyway... if pretty is more important than result... then FF reverb yourself happy.

I'm in the middle of trialling reverbs, thanks, and I thought I'd save myself some time by, you know, asking other people what they thought of FF's reverb. Being told "check out your options" and that I'm "compromising end result for fun animations" isn't exactly helpful, but shame on me for asking, maybe. I have plenty of reverbs, Eventide's many algorithms included, and I'm not simply unaware that my "audience listen to music". I was simply curious about FF, but I'll go do the legwork myself.

danc

17 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
17 Dec 2018
danc wrote:
17 Dec 2018

I'm in the middle of trialling reverbs, thanks, and I thought I'd save myself some time by, you know, asking other people what they thought of FF's reverb. Being told "check out your options" and that I'm "compromising end result for fun animations" isn't exactly helpful, but shame on me for asking, maybe. I have plenty of reverbs, Eventide's many algorithms included, and I'm not simply unaware that my "audience listen to music". I was simply curious about FF, but I'll go do the legwork myself.
Not said to offend - and I apologise that it did.

One thing I have been training (forcing) myself in the last 6 months to do... is that I have wrongly thought that I needed to find yet another reverb to buy to fix my sound requirements -- whereas... the real problem is my mixing skills are lacking... not knowing how to use what I've got. My biggest mistake is relying on DRY/WET settings. And there is a better solution. I've been following quite a few tutorial videos on Dance Music Production and there are so many great techniques with parallel bussing. On one of the parallel busses put your reverb... and in that bus also put an EQ. With the EQ... set a really small frequency pocket where you want the reverb to sit - and having that bus run really low in the mix... So... one clean bus... and one EQ/Reverb bus side-by-side. This is 10000 time better than DRY/WET mixing the reverb. And surprisingly I have managed to get the sound I want from the reverbs I already owned. Plus... add a GATE to the EQ/Reverb bus... the Gate really keeps the tails under control - Kilohearts Gate is my fav at the mo, as I can so easily blend what I imagine. Yes - some reverbs have EQ and Gate in-built. But having separate units dealing with each you can really control things how you need them.
Check my Soundcloud:

Reasonable man

17 Dec 2018

The Pro - R reverb wasn't out when i bought the bundle . I am tempted by it and the new version of the limiter (Pro- L2).
Their stuff is the only Vsts I own but thery're very very good if not a little over technical imo. It's the stereo linking, unlinking and mid-side stuff that makes they're stuff a little complex to get your head around . It also took me a while to get their whole xlfo system sussed which is integral to how to modulate most of the basic parameters.. especially on timeless and twin 2.
The thing that i like abour the Pro-R demo is that the reverb sounds very smooth and lush and there is a way to quicken the decay time of the reverb on certain frequencies and lengthen them on others which is different and more natural sounding than simply gating the reverb ..but even at 55% pecent off its still a whopping £67 ...which is in my view a tad extravagent!

jayhosking

17 Dec 2018

danc wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Not said to offend - and I apologise that it did.

One thing I have been training (forcing) myself in the last 6 months to do... is that I have wrongly thought that I needed to find yet another reverb to buy to fix my sound requirements -- whereas... the real problem is my mixing skills are lacking... not knowing how to use what I've got. My biggest mistake is relying on DRY/WET settings. And there is a better solution. I've been following quite a few tutorial videos on Dance Music Production and there are so many great techniques with parallel bussing. On one of the parallel busses put your reverb... and in that bus also put an EQ. With the EQ... set a really small frequency pocket where you want the reverb to sit - and having that bus run really low in the mix... So... one clean bus... and one EQ/Reverb bus side-by-side. This is 10000 time better than DRY/WET mixing the reverb. And surprisingly I have managed to get the sound I want from the reverbs I already owned. Plus... add a GATE to the EQ/Reverb bus... the Gate really keeps the tails under control - Kilohearts Gate is my fav at the mo, as I can so easily blend what I imagine. Yes - some reverbs have EQ and Gate in-built. But having separate units dealing with each you can really control things how you need them.
No worries, man. Long day over here, and I should've had the cool to recognize you meant no offence.

Your suggestions are awesome, and they can definitely improve the sound. That said, the main reason I'm looking for reverb is because I find that—more than delay, or EQ, or other effects—reverbs really have their own flavour, especially when you crank up the decay. I use a lot of Synapse's DR-1 and Valhalla's Shimmer in Reason, and the Eventide Space and Strymon Big Sky are both in regular use in my hardware setup (thanks to Aeox, I'm starting to figure out how to use them properly in Reason), but I've wanted a multi-DAW general-purpose reverb for a while.

groggy1

18 Dec 2018

jayhosking wrote:
17 Dec 2018
danc wrote:
17 Dec 2018

Here's some thoughts on various Reverbs:
If I want to make TWEAKS to a Reverb, my favorite if FabFilter-R - The UX makes it really to understand what's going on, and it doesn't require much expertise in how Reverbs work

For sound quality, I like Waves IR-1 for impulse-based. And believe it or not, I like ArtsAccoustic for algorithmic. That's because I'm usually looking for "effect" style reverbs when I reach for algorithmic, and I love the long tails I get from ArtsAccoustic.

Finally, if you want more realistic algorithmic reverbs, Fabfilter again is good. But I think Valhalla is just as good (and much cheaper).

Finally, if I want shimmer effect, I *always* reach for Valhalla Shimmer. It's magic.

jayhosking

18 Dec 2018

groggy1 wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Here's some thoughts on various Reverbs:
If I want to make TWEAKS to a Reverb, my favorite if FabFilter-R - The UX makes it really to understand what's going on, and it doesn't require much expertise in how Reverbs work

For sound quality, I like Waves IR-1 for impulse-based. And believe it or not, I like ArtsAccoustic for algorithmic. That's because I'm usually looking for "effect" style reverbs when I reach for algorithmic, and I love the long tails I get from ArtsAccoustic.

Finally, if you want more realistic algorithmic reverbs, Fabfilter again is good. But I think Valhalla is just as good (and much cheaper).

Finally, if I want shimmer effect, I *always* reach for Valhalla Shimmer. It's magic.
Thanks for this. One of these days I'll update from the light version of IR-1 to the full version. I don't know the ArtsAccoustic stuff! I'll look into it. And I've been looking into Valhalla's reverbs already (you're right: their Shimmer rules), so maybe I should give their Vintage a try finally. I wanted to wait until I had a few days of free time, which is quickly coming up.

AttenuationHz

20 Dec 2018

They released Pro Q3 there a few weeks ago also. If you haven't already considered getting FabFilter products this would be a definitive incentive to do so. Pro Q2 is a pretty great EQ the stuff Q3 can do is really well worth it! On top of that 25% the upgrade price is 50% if own Pro Q2 so 75% if you own Q2.

I was blown away with what was added to Q3

It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Reasonable man

21 Dec 2018

I bought Pro-R yesterday. Due to previous bundle purchases it was £67 + 23%vat and it just occured to be that people purchasing FF plugins with just a 25% off are still actually still paying the cost price of the plugin ...... just minus the vat!

Anyway its already my go to reverb . To my ears it might as well be a convolution reverb as the presets are that realistic (almost as if your there). Its a beautiful reverb plugin .totally worth it ...that is all.

antic604

21 Dec 2018

I made a huge mistake of downloading (trials of) most of their stuff yesterday and played with them for a bit... I'm shocked about how well they sound, how smooth is the workflow, how beautiful they look and ...how little CPU they eat (compared to what I imagined they would!).

Now I want ALL of them!!! :o :shock: :evil:

It doesn't help that the more you want, the cheaper they get (per plugin).

Clever little bastards! :puf_bigsmile:

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
21 Dec 2018
I bought Pro-R yesterday. Due to previous bundle purchases it was £67 + 23%vat and it just occured to be that people purchasing FF plugins with just a 25% off are still actually still paying the cost price of the plugin ...... just minus the vat!

Anyway its already my go to reverb . To my ears it might as well be a convolution reverb as the presets are that realistic (almost as if your there). Its a beautiful reverb plugin .totally worth it ...that is all.
How so? You're still getting 25% off! If there wasn't 25% off you'd be paying 25% more. :lol: :lol:
antic604 wrote:
21 Dec 2018
I made a huge mistake of downloading (trials of) most of their stuff yesterday and played with them for a bit... I'm shocked about how well they sound, how smooth is the workflow, how beautiful they look and ...how little CPU they eat (compared to what I imagined they would!).

Now I want ALL of them!!! :o :shock: :evil:

It doesn't help that the more you want, the cheaper they get (per plugin).

Clever little bastards! :puf_bigsmile:
Yeah you definitely need to trial them one at a time. Once you purchase your first plug-in though you get a discount the more you buy. So don't go buying all of them at the same time on first purchase. They are ridiculously optimised more so than any other plug-in. The linear-phase setting on ProQ, near real-time, doesn't even use much resources. Probably my favourite vendor. Tick all the boxes!

They also do credit for every person you invite to purchase. So if there is anyone you know that is going to purchase get there email address and send them the affiliated link for further discounts.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

antic604

21 Dec 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2018
Yeah you definitely need to trial them one at a time. Once you purchase your first plug-in though you get a discount the more you buy. So don't go buying all of them at the same time on first purchase. They are ridiculously optimised more so than any other plug-in. The linear-phase setting on ProQ, near real-time, doesn't even use much resources. Probably my favourite vendor. Tick all the boxes!

They also do credit for every person you invite to purchase. So if there is anyone you know that is going to purchase get there email address and send them the affiliated link for further discounts.
Yeah, I already have Saturn and their "the more you buy, the more you save" mechanism is very clever indeed :)

Regarding the 2nd paragraph, have a look at the opening post...

Reasonable man

21 Dec 2018

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Dec 2018
Reasonable man wrote:
21 Dec 2018

How so? You're still getting 25% off! If there wasn't 25% off you'd be paying 25% more. :lol: :lol:

yer i was just saying that the vat isn't included in the price so if the plug in is £149 ...your still paying around £149 with your 25% discount.
I consistantly fail to factor in the vat ... its why so many of my "purchases" in the past havn't gone through!

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
21 Dec 2018

yer i was just saying that the vat isn't included in the price so if the plug in is £149 ...your still paying around £149 with your 25% discount.
I consistantly fail to factor in the vat ... its why so many of my "purchases" in the past havn't gone through!
Must live outside of EU. Prices in the EU have to display the cost of VAT.

• Information