Complex from Propellerhead

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
scratchnsnifff

18 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Hey what does a complex oscillator entail?
Are there basic patches that just provide a basic synth setup for mono or poly usage?

Does it make bleeps and blerps?
There are template patches that show basic setups. The synth is not polyphonic per se, but each oscillator can accept different pitch and there's duophonic keyboard pitch.

It makes bleeps and blerps, and way more. Check the sound examples!
Oh one last question is it only VA waveforms? Or does it have any wave table functionality? If it doesn’t, the wave folder looks like it would yield a whole bunch of different wave shapes :D

Thanks for answering, and this gives me hope for a bare bones version of something like this where the users can purchase their own types of oscillators modular components

Maybe one day :) thanks Mathias
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

18 Dec 2018

Ottostrom wrote:
18 Dec 2018
It feels like every week they make it harder and harder for me to stay on Reason 9 :lol:
This synth looks like a blast, great job!
If it's any consideration, you can make sounds with Complex-1 that simply were not possible in Reason before - ever. It's incredible - probably one of my favorite RE synths ever. If you're on 9, you can upgrade to 10 right now and get Drum Sequencer for free (until the end of December). :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

18 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Ottostrom wrote:
18 Dec 2018
It feels like every week they make it harder and harder for me to stay on Reason 9 :lol:
This synth looks like a blast, great job!
If it's any consideration, you can make sounds with Complex-1 that simply were not possible in Reason before - ever. It's incredible - probably one of my favorite RE synths ever. If you're on 9, you can upgrade to 10 right now and get Drum Sequencer for free (until the end of December). :D
Wait so are you saying this has even more sound possibilities than blamsofts poly modular setup?

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:Anyone notice what appears to be an Easter egg look at the two pictures on the product page focus on the knobs?
Multiple Uis? Or just a beta version and final product photo
There are two ways of viewing the UI, with cables or without.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
MattiasHG wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Actually it just sounded much cooler than just "Complex". But hey, if you like it: who knows?
Hey what does a complex oscillator entail?
Are there basic patches that just provide a basic synth setup for mono or poly usage?

Does it make bleeps and blerps?
Complex oscillators are a West Coast (Buchla) thing, and this is the “Reason” take on them.

Yes, it DEFINITLY makes bleeps and bleeps. Some great factory presets will show the way…

Selig Audio, LLC

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 Dec 2018
That’s not an Easter egg or early UI - it’s the actual UI that appears when you drag a cable. It switches to a Custom Display.
That is hella innovative and one hell of a synth.

phobik

18 Dec 2018

it's looks and sounds great :thumbs_up:

now waiting for remote update with per device presets :ugeek:

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
18 Dec 2018

Wait so are you saying this has even more sound possibilities than blamsofts poly modular setup?
The difference here is that this is like a Eurorack with a bunch of modules setup for you (though no default interconnections). There are no delays when patching between modules, and everything is 4x oversampled internally which makes it act more like a real modular.

Only restriction is you can’t replace a module with a different module. :(

And it's my new favorite synths too!

Selig Audio, LLC

Ottostrom

18 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
18 Dec 2018
It's definitely very tempting! But I'm just paranoid that a new version of Reason will drop relatively soon, since I've already waited so long.

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2018

looks great, only need a randomize button. :)

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

This is one deep synth. Before you dismiss the feature set, dig a little deeper to see what's really available.

This should get you started down the rabbit hole…there's more fun to come!

There are (at least) 6 pitched sound sources.
There are (at least) 5 filters available
There are (at least) 6 LFOs (8 if you count the complex oscillator)
There are (at least) 4 envelope generators
There are (at least) 6 "constant" CV sources
There are (at least) 6 modulation "depth/amount" controls
There are (at least) 4 Lag (smoothing) generators
There are (at least) 3 random sources

6 Pitched sound sources:
3 Oscillators
LFO at audio rate (w/positive CV modulation, see below under "constant CV sources")
Noise in Resonant/Band mode
Comb Delay with full feedback

5 Filters:
Main filter (unique alternate filter modes available by combining with mixer)
LPG x2 (control via CV into Env F input)
Lag (basically a LP filter)
Comb delay filter (set delay to shortest and use fully "wet")

6 LFOs:
Main LFO
Osc 3 with Range at minimum (follows same range as main LFO in this mode)
Clock 1 (square/rectange and saw/triangle, quantized to tempo)
Clock 2 (square, quantized to tempo)
Noise (band and resonant modes provide near sine waves all the way to full random)
Comb Delay (more complex but still very useful waveforms, modifiable with built in filter)
Complex Osc (if not needed for audio purposes, 2 more LFOs when driven low via negative CV)

4 Envelopes:
Main ADSR
2x A/D or A/R LPG (trigger input produces A/D behavior, Trigger AND Env F. (from same source) produce A/R behavior)
Step Sequencer (can become a drawable envelope, use a little lag/smoothing to remove 'steps')

Constant CV sources:
Mix can output positive or negative CV with no input connected
Scale & Amp can output positive CV with no input connected

CV/Audio "Amount" controls:
Mix can be used as CV "amount" via input #2 (works as an "attenuverter": normal polarity to the right, reverse polarity to the left).
Scale and Amp can be used as CV amount via input #1

4 Lag generators:
Main Lag module
LPGs
Main Filter (especially when driven low via negative CV)

Random sources:
LFO (random and slow random)
Random Key (new random value with each new note)
Noise (noise sources driven low via negative CV are excellent variations on random voltages)

I'm SURE I've missed quite a bit, this is just what I've come up with so far. Dig in, this baby's DEEP!
Selig Audio, LLC

scratchnsnifff

18 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
The difference here is that this is like a Eurorack with a bunch of modules setup for you (though no default interconnections). There are no delays when patching between modules, and everything is 4x oversampled internally which makes it act more like a real modular.

Maybe who ever made this will get inspired to make a separate sdk of sorts? Or a second version but more Thor style where developers can make modules. This is the first thing Iv been excited for for a while in the music making scene I’m also glad to see it on rent to own, this will help by not taking a large portion of Xmas funds XD

Loque

18 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018
…there's more fun to come!
:shock: :? :o :oops: :roll: :D
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Dec 2018
selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018

Maybe who ever made this will get inspired to make a separate sdk of sorts? Or a second version but more Thor style where developers can make modules. This is the first thing Iv been excited for for a while in the music making scene I’m also glad to see it on rent to own, this will help by not taking a large portion of Xmas funds XD
Unlikely, we have cables on the front now. ;)

The main limitation with Reason REs is the size restriction and specifically the horizontal width. There's no way to build a truly expandable system when your "rack" starts so small. Complex-1 is as big as a synth can be in Reason, and is equivalent to 95hp x2 in Eurorack speak.

The best way to introduce a fully modular synth to Reason is still with a VST IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

DoctoralHermit

18 Dec 2018

This thing looks awesome, but I'm curious as to why the cables are on the front. I understand that it might make it easier to use, but is there a way for me to have it interconnect with all of the awesome filter, delay, etc REs I already have? If so, that would make Complex-1 a fantastic central piece to my tweaking needs.

chimp_spanner

18 Dec 2018

Out at the moment, can anyone tell me if you can create automation lanes for things like filter cutoff, sequencer step length, etc? I tried alt and right clicking and couldn’t see it!

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

18 Dec 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Out at the moment, can anyone tell me if you can create automation lanes for things like filter cutoff, sequencer step length, etc? I tried alt and right clicking and couldn’t see it!
Yes you can. Make sure you're not in cable mode for alt click/right click to work. :)

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

DoctoralHermit wrote:
18 Dec 2018
This thing looks awesome, but I'm curious as to why the cables are on the front. I understand that it might make it easier to use, but is there a way for me to have it interconnect with all of the awesome filter, delay, etc REs I already have? If so, that would make Complex-1 a fantastic central piece to my tweaking needs.
I guess what you're asking is why the cables are not on the back, which has to do with the buffer processing in Reason (or any DAW). Staying inside the synth allows all code to run in one batch/buffer, and run at 4x oversampling. As soon as you go out a CV jack, you're 64 samples behind and 1/64th the audio sample rate - neither of these limitation exist with Complex-1!
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

18 Dec 2018

DoctoralHermit wrote:
18 Dec 2018
It's 4x over-sampled. That means internally it operates four times faster than the rate you have set in Reason. So 44,100 Hz becomes 176,400 Hz. Any jack on the back would run at the base rate. That might not seem a big deal, but the (clean) conversion between the two rates takes a lot of CPU time. So any jack that could tap into the middle of the signal chain would have to be down-sampled. Any input that introduced a signal would have to be up-sampled.

There are already quite a few stand-alone modules available with a pair of input, and a pair of output. They can be combined with each other. But for a device like this, the routing between parts has to be internal.

-008'

18 Dec 2018

Well I'm always fiddlin with my front cable, so this shouldn't be too complex.

:mrgreen: :lol:

I'll get my coat...
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

scratchnsnifff

18 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
18 Dec 2018

Unlikely, we have cables on the front now. ;)

The main limitation with Reason REs is the size restriction and specifically the horizontal width. There's no way to build a truly expandable system when your "rack" starts so small. Complex-1 is as big as a synth can be in Reason, and is equivalent to 95hp x2 in Eurorack speak.

The best way to introduce a fully modular synth to Reason is still with a VST IMO.
Ohh I mis represented what I meant. While I see what you mean and you are correct I just mean something along the lines of a limited size modular. Like for example take complex 1. But have drop down field arrows (like in an excel table) and have the option of having various oscillators filters etc

But yeah, if someone who was wanting a full blown system, you’d have to get use to building up and downwards due to the width restraint, do you think it’s possible for the props to add interchangeable oscillators to this synth as is though?

MannequinRaces

18 Dec 2018

This thing is awesome! Reason’s sound making capabilities just expanded even more. Priced right. I’m hearing sounds I’ve never heard Reason make before, very inspiring. Going to rely on patches at first because this thing is deep!! Congrats Props! Looks like you have a winner.

chimp_spanner

18 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
18 Dec 2018
chimp_spanner wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Yes you can. Make sure you're not in cable mode for alt click/right click to work. :)
Yussssss. Was literally the only thing I was mildly disappointed by (and even then not a huge deal). But that makes this thing perfect. I feel like I just upgraded Reason tbh! Great work Mattias!

Melody303

18 Dec 2018

I'm not joining this particular bandwagon for the time being, though I'm glad everyone else is enjoying it, it's just that the thing I love most about modulars is choosing my own modules.
Good thing Reason was already extremely modular prior to this release. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

18 Dec 2018

That video is slick. Very well produced. This feels like a new paradigm shift for the Props (cables in front), and yet it feels very normal at the same time. :thumbs_up:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

• Information