Front-end patch cables

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Reminiscence

16 Dec 2018

Would be nice I know. :ugeek:

Loque

16 Dec 2018

According the info I got the last weeks, I thought would it be possible to assign modulators to every element on the front without the dev must do something? Or automatically create a connection board on the back for modulation and data io?

I don't care where to interconnect, as long as it is possible. CV or audio IO on the front or back or in a big mod matrix or virtually over the host, as long as it there and it is fast and easy.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2018

I think the appeal of them being all on the back is the reduced clutter. Maybe it could be something you could toggle off/on?

Oquasec

16 Dec 2018

Reason is modular, but it's a Rackmount type of modular.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pushedbutton

16 Dec 2018

Why not open up the sides too? Shift and Tab to see the left, Ctrl and Tab to see the right. Double the real estate :D
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Wook

16 Dec 2018

I'd love the possibility to drag from source to destination on the front. There are vst synths who have that and it's super convenient. The wires can stay in the back as a graphic representation or let user patch the old way.

moneykube

16 Dec 2018

yes please
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

jam-s

16 Dec 2018

Nah, cables belong to the back of the rack. No need for clutter on the front.

ScuzzyEye

17 Dec 2018

Wook wrote:
16 Dec 2018
I'd love the possibility to drag from source to destination on the front. There are vst synths who have that and it's super convenient. The wires can stay in the back as a graphic representation or let user patch the old way.
There is at least one synth RE that allows that type of routing, drag to destination, from its modulation matrix. That was some pretty creative programming.

I don't have a problem with cables on the back, controls on the front for inter-device patching. Definitely keeps the clutter down.

Oquasec

18 Dec 2018

VCV rack will give you exactly what ya lookin for.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Koshdukai

18 Dec 2018

Hmmm... I'm sure you all know by now that RE devs can draw whatever they want on one of the widgets called custom display, don't ya?

There's already some shy/simplistic examples of that in the Shop.

Now, if a RE dev decides to use a custom display with a less simplistic background (because it doesn't need to be all black or all one plain color) with all the usual static graphics we're used to see on "regular" front panels and use custom display draw primitives to draw the animated/moving parts (faders, knob value markers, etc) like Kong little "display" or Synchronous has, then there's nothing in their way to also draw some wires over that.

...what I'm saying is that (internal) "cables" on the front has always been in the hands of RE Devs since the introduction of this powerful "custom display" GUI widget.

The caveat? No inter-device connections at the front, obviously, because this would be a device thing, drawing "fake" wires on Its own draw area.
One nice side-effect: "self-cabling" would be kept on patches, unlike any self-cabling done at the back unless put inside a Combinator.

So, ever since we started to see those fancy and useful "displays" on REs (Synchronous, Europa, etc) this "cables at the front" thing is just a matter of time and RE devs deciding to do it.

Korg MS-20, u-he ACE or Bazille or any of these self-contained "devices" can be done for some time in Reason's rack... As long as they can fit everything within a 9U unit.... Which is also possible in a while since interchangeable panels where made possible in REs (Thor-style)... Which there's plenty of recent examples too in the store.

Full "Reason-style" inter-device "real" CV/Audio cables at the front, like we have on the back?
hmmm... not sure I would ever want that, TBH.

WongoTheSane

18 Dec 2018

Complex-1 was just released with cables on the front!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7510212

Koshdukai

18 Dec 2018

Koshdukai wrote:
18 Dec 2018
this "cables at the front" thing is just a matter of time
er... ok, that was quick :lol:

jam-s

18 Dec 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Dec 2018

And it looks pretty cluttered to me with all those cables:

joeyluck

18 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
18 Dec 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Dec 2018

You can hide them or even move them ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
18 Dec 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Dec 2018

You can toggle them off :thumbs_up:

joeyluck

18 Dec 2018

What's even cooler about Complex-1 is that you can leave 'show cables' off and it will toggle to the custom display, cable view when you click and drag to connect a cable, and then it will go right back to the no cable view (if you had if off). And you can use the assignment menus if you want to avoid cables altogether. But why? :)

EpiGenetik

18 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
18 Dec 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Dec 2018

That is a specific show cables mode for help with connections. You can set it so that the cables only show when you need to alter the connections. This is better for CPU too when you use this mode rather than constantly having the cables showing. Regardless though, once you get used to where everything is it won't feel cluttered at all.

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

You can also “mult” as many cables as you want from a single source, though you still cannot “merge” more than one cable into a single input.

What’s more interesting (at least to me) is that this is basically an extension of the draggable mod matrix trick introduced with Parsec. So it’s not a new SDK feature but a clever adaptation of the existing SDK feature set.
;)

And yea, it IS cluttered but you CAN drag cables to move them and hide them completely and still see the source listed in the destination slot/jack as previously mentioned, which helps a lot.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

18 Dec 2018

First impression:

* Multi outs! Great!
* No multi ins. Mehh...but ok
* Easy connecting, great routing
* Good sound, modulating the hell out of this thing, still exploring...Audio-Modulation on the front. Great!
* The cables are vector ;-) and you can move them around. There has something happened in the background...maybe... Cables ar hiding under the lowest section
* Lacks another ADSR
* The Audio In is free routable!!!
* Shaping/Bending of all oscilator shapes. Great! Just hope, there will be a few more in future
* looks like it is mono...thats not unexpected but for a poly setup you need Distributor (or maybe i just did not figured out how to Poly)
* The function looks promising...need to check out what i can do with it...I guess a main goal is CV but i think i try to use it for audio too. Maybe there is more coming in future
* Still exploring...

Looks and sounds very promising... Maybe its not for everyone, but obviously for the experimenters of us. I guess i found my audio-modulator module.
Reason12, Win10

• Information