Momentary Combinator Buttons

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Despondo
Competition Winner

22 Jan 2015

I'd love to have the option of momentary buttons on the Combinator so I can quickly punch in a setting on button press and revert on release.  Would allow for added functionality when playing live.  

I used to use this to great effect on my old Ensoniq ASR-10 using it's 'patch select' buttons to switch between layers of samples (allowing for variations on the current instrument's sound for added realism, etc.)  As a matter of fact, this is why I want this feature.  I have converted all of these old sample patches for use in Reason and would love to play them similarly there when playing live.

If anyone knows a way to do this currently, please let me know! Thanks! :-)

Janvier

03 Feb 2015

Despondo wrote:I'd love to have the option of momentary buttons on the Combinator so I can quickly punch in a setting on button press and revert on release.  Would allow for added functionality when playing live.  
Yes great idea. But also I think a combi with 8 rotary, 8 switches where the switches can be toggle or momentary.

The 4 extra rotary and switches could be hidden/shown from a button (like the show programmer button). So if you don't need them then, you can hide them. 

Also, the ability to put color on the labels of the rotary/switch (like the macros in ableton).

jfrichards

25 Mar 2015

Janvier wrote:...I think a combi with 8 rotary, 8 switches where the switches can be toggle or momentary...
With you on that.

I submitted this to Props, hope you did too.

Janvier

28 Mar 2015

Not sure to understand the fader feature !! You can control mixer fader from combi's rotary in your layout right ??

I will put a sketch on how I see things !!

-008'

28 Mar 2015

Janvier wrote:Not sure to understand the fader feature !! You can control mixer fader from combi's rotary in your layout right ??

My first thought is that it is a built in line mixer for the "super combi"? Actually my first thought for the idea is "+1" :) I would love to see some Combinator 2.0 stuff like this.

(So is it a built-in line mixer John?)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

jfrichards

28 Mar 2015

-008' wrote:...(So is it a built-in line mixer John?)
I was thinking it could be a set of faders that could be do either CV/midi control or audio, but now that you mention it, it would be very cool to be a built in mixer too, and was linkable inside the programmer, great freakin idea, Dub.

Exowildebeest

28 Mar 2015

jfrichards wrote:
I was thinking it could be a set of faders that could be do either CV/midi control or audio, but now that you mention it, it would be very cool to be a built in mixer too, and was linkable inside the programmer, great freakin idea, Dub.
The thing is - people have SO many cool ideas for the Combinator 2, many different possible directions... Propellerheads might be having the problem of facing a difficult decision of where to take it.

Janvier

28 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
The thing is - people have SO many cool ideas for the Combinator 2, many different possible directions... Propellerheads might be having the problem of facing a difficult decision of where to take it.
Then my idea is probably the most convenient and suitable, and easy to implement !! I definitely need to make a sketch so you understand my vision.

selig
RE Developer

28 Mar 2015

jfrichards wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
Good point. Additionally, the Props tend to take the simpler approach and don't tend to add many bonus features. So if you want to make a suggestion that has a chance of happening, remove 9/10 of the ideas you have and that's more likely what the Props would do! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

28 Mar 2015

jfrichards wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote:
selig wrote:
Good point. Additionally, the Props tend to take the simpler approach and don't tend to add many bonus features. So if you want to make a suggestion that has a chance of happening, remove 9/10 of the ideas you have and that's more likely what the Props would do! ;)
Indeed - it's generally been a good design philosophy, and it probably will be good for the next Combinator too. But there are times when it backfires, the MIDI out device with just 1 CC knob for example. It's as if they got scared after making Kong too complex!

Of course I have my own vague dream for the next Combinator: something semi-modular, with 128 "slots" for knobs, faders, buttons, XY pads and whatever more, and give each device 128 destination + scale by slots. This is in fact rather modest, because if you cut that by 9/10 you basically end up with the current combinator  :P

Janvier

28 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
Indeed - it's generally been a good design philosophy, and it probably will be good for the next Combinator too. But there are times when it backfires, the MIDI out device with just 1 CC knob for example. 
I wish we can get access to RPN and NRPN messages with the MIDI device. And reason being able to be a Rewire Master 

neovich

17 Dec 2018

Hi Reasonians,

Yes , the great great combinator !!, buttons and knobs and all !
The limitation of this drove me to the point where I made my own custom midi box purely for a live set up.
This midi box is fairly straight forward but So-o-o-o-o-oooo useful !!

How it works. A simple 6 switch box with midi out. It has 6 momentary buttons, with LED indication on 4 of these .
It is used as a surface control unit to switch between 4 synths (or anything you wish via the combi buttons ) and change combi patches for each Live song.
Only dedicated for reasons combinator patch (into midi in on laptop via usb/midi )

The 4 hardware buttons 1 2 3 & 4 , mimics the 4 buttons found on reasons combi patch front panel.
It will select / deselect the 4 buttons that is acitve for the combinator selected.
The box does NOT just switch 1 button on, or the next so on with button 2 etc. ,
It selects the combi buttons only ever 1 at a time ( like a radio button effect , google it )

example: Combi button 2 is ON, then you press hardware button 1. This turns off Combi 2 button and selects combi 1 button only.
The most useful use of this is if you want to play 4 pre-determined synths within the combi patch , instantly switching from 1 to 3 to 2 etc.. All without loading another combi patch will playing the song!

Of coarse, the 4 buttons in the combi patch need to be assigned to mute mix channels of sounds etc...

The remaining 2 buttons ( button Prog Up, Prog Down )are used simply to switch combinator presets, Up or Down
before you start the song. named in order of song set list example 01 Intro , 02 Star light, 03 Mysong here....

I can make this for anyone interested in the world. !!!

Cheers

me-yourself-and-them

11 Jun 2023

hmmmm...so what do we do if the target has no cv in? i read a lot of threads here on the "momentary pad" / "midi off"subject. none really solved it...

• Information