(Synthpop) Pacific Deep's 5th Album now available

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
raymondh

26 Oct 2018

Hi Everyone,

Carl and I are excited to announce the completion of our 5th Pacific Deep album!

We still love Reason as a creative music platform! Carl is on Mac and I'm on PC so we continue to enjoy portability of our music files.

At the moment the album is just on Bandcamp (free download), but we'll get it on Spotify etc soon too.

The songs have all been put onto Soundcloud but some have been changed and remixed a bit, and all remastered as an end to end album (using Ozone)

cheers
Raymond

PhillipOrdonez

30 Oct 2018

I liked "I don't know why" the most. Nice vibes all round!

AS7RO

30 Oct 2018

Man your mixing is so different but it works. crazy how each genre requires very different set of skills.
Why are you reading this?

raymondh

31 Oct 2018

Thanks folks!

On the mixing front, we don't generally go out to mimic all the mixing techniques used back in the 80s (other than gated reverb on drums), but we do tend to choose vintage synth and drum sounds.

We do tend to avoid some modern techniques though, eg sidechain compression, brick wall limiting etc.

jappe

18 Nov 2018

Congratulations!

I listened to the full album and it sounds like something to be very proud of :thumbs_up:

I don´t find any weak songs, but if I have to pick my 3 favorites it'd be these: (After next album go-through, I might find other favorites :) )

Circle The Wagons: wonderful vibe, makes me think of Heaven 17

More than I could chew: Strong song, has a little Futurepop vibe, Apoptygma Berzerk comes to mind.

Time Will Crush You: Such a great album start, drags you in immediately! Wonderful vocals.

raymondh

24 Nov 2018

jappe wrote:
18 Nov 2018
Congratulations!

I listened to the full album and it sounds like something to be very proud of :thumbs_up:

I don´t find any weak songs, but if I have to pick my 3 favorites it'd be these: (After next album go-through, I might find other favorites :) )

Circle The Wagons: wonderful vibe, makes me think of Heaven 17

More than I could chew: Strong song, has a little Futurepop vibe, Apoptygma Berzerk comes to mind.

Time Will Crush You: Such a great album start, drags you in immediately! Wonderful vocals.
Thanks very much! Appreciate your analysis of the 3 top songs, that's really great!

thanks!

Some Desperate Glory

03 Dec 2018

Thanks Jappe,

A lot of people seem to like More That I Could Chew. Thanks! I'm also glad you liked Time Will Crush You, I think that is one of the better songs Raymond and I have done.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

BananaSkins

03 Dec 2018

Just downloaded and listened to 'Time Will Crush You' via one set of my headphones (Sennheiser HD 280 pro)
I have only listened to it once so here are my initial thoughts...

I enjoyed it; reminds me of the the very talented 'Empire Of The Sun' especially the chorus. :thumbs_up:
Like most listeners I like to be able to hear and understand every word on a first listen rather than thinking 'What did he / she say there?

In my opinion certain elements in the verses are very busy and fighting with the vocals for space especially the purring coiled spring sound which you hear left and right which distracted me away from the vocals to the point where I had to really try and listen to what words you were singing!

Vocals MUST take precedence! ;)

The second verse is more populated than the first verse; setting back elements further in the mix / or muting certain elements in the verses would really make you go 'WOW' when you heard the chorus KICK in! (Less Is More!)

Chord stabs at the end also are too loud and fighting the vocals for space...I would have left these sounds out altogether, it would have mellowed out the song perfectly just like how you mellowed the start of the song into the first verse.

(Wav file could be too compressed for the internet /streaming etc)

Keep up the good work! :thumbs_up:
Hopefully I will get to listen to all the tracks...

raymondh

12 Dec 2018

BananaSkins wrote:
03 Dec 2018
Just downloaded and listened to 'Time Will Crush You' via one set of my headphones (Sennheiser HD 280 pro)
I have only listened to it once so here are my initial thoughts...

I enjoyed it; reminds me of the the very talented 'Empire Of The Sun' especially the chorus. :thumbs_up:
Like most listeners I like to be able to hear and understand every word on a first listen rather than thinking 'What did he / she say there?

In my opinion certain elements in the verses are very busy and fighting with the vocals for space especially the purring coiled spring sound which you hear left and right which distracted me away from the vocals to the point where I had to really try and listen to what words you were singing!

Vocals MUST take precedence! ;)

The second verse is more populated than the first verse; setting back elements further in the mix / or muting certain elements in the verses would really make you go 'WOW' when you heard the chorus KICK in! (Less Is More!)

Chord stabs at the end also are too loud and fighting the vocals for space...I would have left these sounds out altogether, it would have mellowed out the song perfectly just like how you mellowed the start of the song into the first verse.

(Wav file could be too compressed for the internet /streaming etc)

Keep up the good work! :thumbs_up:
Hopefully I will get to listen to all the tracks...
Thanks very much for having a listen and very much appreciate you taking the time for the analysis and critique! That's awesome!

Really good points you make!
We really liked the sound of the u-he Repro synths. Never had a real Prophet 5 but the Repro 5 has such an organic vintage sound, and it was probably a bit tempting to have the sounds up front. You are right, the vocals are supposed to be the focus and the instrumentation take more a back seat.

And also right on the less is more. What I'm learning is that while you need to have a lot of variation in a track to build tension, maintain interest etc, it's doesn't mean just adding more and more layers. It's ok to take things away.
The skill then becomes how to not lose energy or 'the build' in the track. Still figuring that one out!!

Thanks again! Great points!

Razgriz_101

13 Dec 2018

I can vouch for Time Will Crush You being hands down the best track in the album! I wasn't disappointed at all by the other songs which I enjoyed a lot, but man, your opening piece is strong and it's the one I ended up playing over and over again.
Congrats on your 5th album, I hope we'll see more of them!

raymondh

13 Dec 2018

Razgriz_101 wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I can vouch for Time Will Crush You being hands down the best track in the album! I wasn't disappointed at all by the other songs which I enjoyed a lot, but man, your opening piece is strong and it's the one I ended up playing over and over again.
Congrats on your 5th album, I hope we'll see more of them!
Thanks very much :puf_smile:

bitley

13 Dec 2018

Plenty of bubbly sounds and thoughtful lyrics :) Cool that you keep working guys!

raymondh

13 Dec 2018

bitley wrote:
13 Dec 2018
Plenty of bubbly sounds and thoughtful lyrics :) Cool that you keep working guys!
Thanks Patrick. Fueled of course by your amazing sounds. Still the best refill ever for Reason!

bitley

13 Dec 2018

Wow, that's great to hear Raymond! I was just thinking about some way to let people here really know this so I posted a thread about it a minute ago.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2018

I'm a bit behind the times here (stuck in the 80's TBH, or wished I was)..

Loved them all, just had them playing while playing a bit of COD had to say I got some of my best scores so I think relisten is needed ;)

Massive THUMBS UP

PoohBear

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

raymondh

16 Dec 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Dec 2018
I'm a bit behind the times here (stuck in the 80's TBH, or wished I was)..

Loved them all, just had them playing while playing a bit of COD had to say I got some of my best scores so I think relisten is needed ;)

Massive THUMBS UP

PoohBear

Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
Haha hoped it helped with the gameplay! :)

Thanks Carly!

bitley

18 Dec 2018

Listening more closely here now. :-) Brilliant stuff with lots of interesting turns. "The digital age" was surprising and had a great groove.

Challeee

28 Dec 2018

Very nice one! I like it!

• Information