Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Faastwalker

09 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2018
All the stuff I’ve got out of it sounds the same sort of diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee.
Same here. That was me diving in & tweaking knobs without reading anything. Sounded cool when I had some nice sounds on connected devices. But it was very much of the 'diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee' variety, as I think I understand it from your description. Then I read the manual ............ Ahhhhhhh! Controls make a lot more sense now. I can see how to tame this thing to get away from the initial diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee style output. I highly recommend reading the manual. It's very brief & concise, as is always the case with Propellerhead's excellent documentation.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2018

Great. Ok. I’ll dive outside my comfort zone and read the FM. Glad to hear that it might not be just a “diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee“ machine :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

demt

09 Dec 2018

just a “diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee unfortunatly is all i could get out of it, any better is gonna be more complex than the real thing, still best of luck
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

FGL

09 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2018
S’what I thought and I honestly don’t know how many diddle dee songs I can put up with. At the moment I’m thinking one...which I’m kind of happy listening to for an extended period without getting tired of it. I could see me using this RE mostly on Kong.
Kong is good, but has to much differences in his slots if someone don't make a new Setup for this. I would prefer to use it on Rex with slice playing. For me this gives far better and more useful results. Make sure to switch enable "Loop Playback" off. This is also very nice with self-made rex loops of all kind, voice chops and something like that.

And then there comes the trick with manipulating this with a second instance of QNG and a Beatrepeater like KM has suggested.

KirkMarkarian

09 Dec 2018

My one wish for this machine would be to have the ability to choose the notes that it picks right on the front panel, not by connecting another device. Say I want C, E, G, and A. Like some other devices, put a little blue keyboard on the front and lemme pick the notes. That way, no musical notes that clash. I don't always want the full scale.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:
09 Dec 2018
My one wish for this machine would be to have the ability to choose the notes that it picks right on the front panel, not by connecting another device. Say I want C, E, G, and A. Like some other devices, put a little blue keyboard on the front and lemme pick the notes. That way, no musical notes that clash. I don't always want the full scale.
I thought exactly the same thing today.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
09 Dec 2018
I’m really going back and forth on this RE. I know it’s because I’m just new and not really using it “right” yet but all the stuff I’ve got out of it sounds the same sort of diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee. Admittedly it is a cool diddly diddly Da Da Da diddle dee and I can sit for ages listening to jazzy funky sounds being created. Just worried a bit that it’s not versatile even though I KNOW that it must be. Maybe time to RTFM :). A very uncommon activity for me :):):)
Just remember that you can stack players, so maybe see what happens when you combine them.

miscend

09 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
08 Dec 2018
Based on previous experiences, does anyone think this RE will be used as an incentive to sell Reason 11 when it arrives? I know one can only speculate but I don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility. Personally I’m not sure it’ll be added to Rewards seeing as it costs less than €99. I’m going to chance it and buy it anyway but it’s still in the back of my mind. Whatcha reckon?
It's possible. But they tend to use either a completely brand new RE (Synchronous) or an older rack extension that no longer sells as much like Radical Piano. So I reckon either Parsec 2, OOmph or Radical Keys is next in line to be offered as an incentive for Reason 11.

selig
RE Developer

09 Dec 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote:My one wish for this machine would be to have the ability to choose the notes that it picks right on the front panel, not by connecting another device. Say I want C, E, G, and A. Like some other devices, put a little blue keyboard on the front and lemme pick the notes. That way, no musical notes that clash. I don't always want the full scale.
Just turn off “To Scale” set the range to +9 and -0 with Vary set to max, then add a “Scales & Chords” player and use the Custom Scale and there’s your little blue keyboard! (Turn off Chords and Filters Notes too, btw).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

KirkMarkarian

09 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
09 Dec 2018
Just turn off “To Scale” set the range to +9 and -0 with Vary set to max, then add a “Scales & Chords” player and use the Custom Scale and there’s your little blue keyboard! (Turn off Chords and Filters Notes too, btw).
I don't want to stack devices, which I had mentioned earlier 🙂 Thank you for the tip, though - I will be able to use it. I'm hoping for a stronger computer one of these days to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini, and then I can afford the processing power for stacking. I'm spoiled by Kompulsion's options.

selig
RE Developer

09 Dec 2018

KirkMarkarian wrote: I don't want to stack devices, which I had mentioned earlier [emoji846] Thank you for the tip, though - I will be able to use it. I'm hoping for a stronger computer one of these days to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini, and then I can afford the processing power for stacking. I'm spoiled by Kompulsion's options.
That’s the whole appeal of Reason, stacking modular devices to get the results you want. Players hardly take any CPU, so that isn’t likely going to be an issue.

Just for clarity, what I described allows you to do exactly what you want, down to the color of the little keyboard you asked for! I wouldn’t even put my suggestion in the category of “workaround” - more like “ you want pre-delay on your reverb that doesn’t have it? Just plug a delay in front of the reverb”.

Selig Audio, LLC

KirkMarkarian

09 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
09 Dec 2018
KirkMarkarian wrote: I don't want to stack devices, which I had mentioned earlier [emoji846] Thank you for the tip, though - I will be able to use it. I'm hoping for a stronger computer one of these days to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini, and then I can afford the processing power for stacking. I'm spoiled by Kompulsion's options.
That’s the whole appeal of Reason, stacking modular devices to get the results you want. Players hardly take any CPU, so that isn’t likely going to be an issue.

Just for clarity, what I described allows you to do exactly what you want, down to the color of the little keyboard you asked for! I wouldn’t even put my suggestion in the category of “workaround” - more like “ you want pre-delay on your reverb that doesn’t have it? Just plug a delay in front of the reverb”.

Brother, you're preaching to the choir :lol: I use the modular synths (see my entire album made with Noise Engineering modules), I use your beautiful products (your damn fantastic EQ) and many other high quality effects. I love modularity. When I'm working on my tracks, at the bitrate that I desire for the sound that I want, and 3 Europas with 4 punch BDREs are making my screen skip when paired with Players, I don't feel ridiculous asking for something that would make me be able to reduce CPU usage.

I did thank you for the tip, if/when I get a better computer that allows me to operate using my specifics (been using Reason since 2001), I'll stack the Players any old way that works!

Wish I had better gear, tough luck. Wanna give me a better computer? :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

Back to this again...how much more have we got in this RE than if we had 4 Lectric Panda RNDs going through a Scales and Chords Player?
Maybe a lot more...anybody put me right?
Diddle diddle dee dee diddle dee :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

madmacman

10 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
Back to this again...how much more have we got in this RE than if we had 4 Lectric Panda RNDs going through a Scales and Chords Player?
Even better: If you have the Kilohearts Trance Gate, then you can feed RND with Euclidean patterns. It's somewhat static, but if you store slight variations in the eight Trance Gate pattern slots, and automate them, then you have some more flexibility.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

madmacman wrote:
10 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
Even better: If you have the Kilohearts Trance Gate, then you can feed RND with Euclidean patterns. It's somewhat static, but if you store slight variations in the eight Trance Gate pattern slots, and automate them, then you have some more flexibility.
I do indeed have Trance Gate and RND is only €19 just now. Would that combination give similar results to QNG? And I’m guessing I could probably use Euclid Player instead of Trance Gate as well?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

madmacman

10 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
madmacman wrote:
10 Dec 2018

I do indeed have Trance Gate and RND is only €19 just now. Would that combination give similar results to QNG? And I’m guessing I could probably use Euclid Player instead of Trance Gate as well?
I didn't compare them (I save my QNG trial period for a later point in time). But the release of QNG gave me some creativity boosts with the plugins I already have. ;)

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
RND is great and generating permutations of random notes and modifying incoming MIDI.
QNG is great at generating musical motifs. Freeze and key mode are fantastic here.

While they both use randomness to generate things, there feature sets are really quite different.

SoundObjects

10 Dec 2018

rcbuse wrote:
10 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
RND is great and generating permutations of random notes and modifying incoming MIDI.
QNG is great at generating musical motifs. Freeze and key mode are fantastic here.

While they both use randomness to generate things, there feature sets are really quite different.
Any tried to combine QNG and RND ?
Maybe first the QNG then RND to alter the notes further :)
Last edited by SoundObjects on 10 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.
The Universe Is Vibrating

artotaku

10 Dec 2018

[Feature Request]: Make the note line "page" switches remotable like it is done in PSQ-1684 for selecting pulses or sequencers.

I mapped the device a to midi controller and sometimes I need to still look at the screen and if line 1 is selected but I change stuff from line 2 with midi controller I can´t see the changes unless I´m switching it with the mouse.

motuscott

10 Dec 2018

Trialling QNG here, but isn't Kompulsion the tool if you're after more control plus randomness.
Another L. Panda product, The man knows his Reason SW, can I get an witness...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

rcbuse wrote:
10 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018

Yeah sorry but isn’t the key mode in QNG just the same as putting RND through Scales and Chords?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
Yeah sorry but isn’t the key mode in QNG just the same as putting RND through Scales and Chords?
When I say key mode, I mean running the sequencer in 'key' mode next to the Run button. This mode will shift the base of all 4 generators to the incoming MIDI key.
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.03.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 3.03.00 PM.png (16.06 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

Yeah. I do really like that feature. I actually thought it was in RND too.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

selig
RE Developer

10 Dec 2018

rcbuse wrote:
10 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
When I say key mode, I mean running the sequencer in 'key' mode next to the Run button. This mode will shift the base of all 4 generators to the incoming MIDI key.
Both modes shift the base note, this feature determines what controls the RUN button. In KEY mode, MIDI notes "runs" the device, while in SEQ mode the transport "runs" the device. In either mode you can manually hit the RUN button if you prefer.
Selig Audio, LLC

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
10 Dec 2018
rcbuse wrote:
10 Dec 2018

Both modes shift the base note, this feature determines what controls the RUN button. In KEY mode, MIDI notes "runs" the device, while in SEQ mode the transport "runs" the device. In either mode you can manually hit the RUN button if you prefer.
Thats right, you would think I would know that.

• Information