Parsec 2 Upgrade Cost - $39 (Parsec 2 NEW - $59)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Prints

07 Dec 2018

Every time Propellerhead has a sale, I check to see if they might finally reduce the upgrade cost for Parsec, and it is always disappointingly at the same cost of $39. For being an early supported that paid nearly full price, I'm rewarded by having to pay an additional $39 to have Parsec 2 when anyone without it can just buy it for $59 right now.

A $20 upgrade cost when Parsec 2 is on sale for half off is the only sensible thing to do imo, or maybe just le me use my otherwise worthless "reward" points on the upgrade. sigh..

Oquasec

07 Dec 2018

Pretty good module. It definitely takes an instance of thor to a new place.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

07 Dec 2018

Happened only once and i think we have already a few threads about this topic. Most be a big problem to reduce upgrade prices on sale.
Reason12, Win10

Prints

07 Dec 2018

I'm going to keep pointing out how dumb this is every single time.

antic604

07 Dec 2018

I'm ashamed to say I'd pay some money to be able to have Parsec 1 GUI in Parsec 2 :D

But I agree that this update - especially so many years after it happened - should be free or at least significantly discounted!

miscend

07 Dec 2018

Did they eventually improve the sound with version 2.

MannequinRaces

07 Dec 2018

Strange business decision for sure. I bet lots of people would snap up the upgrade for $19, I know I would.

antic604

08 Dec 2018

miscend wrote:
07 Dec 2018
What's wrong with the sound of v2? Genuine question.

miscend

08 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
08 Dec 2018
miscend wrote:
07 Dec 2018
What's wrong with the sound of v2? Genuine question.
Well honestly nothing. It’s just the digital timbre of additive synthesis. I just remember demoing v1 and it just wasn’t for me sound wise. I have Loom II which is also an additive synth with 512 partials per voice. I only got it because it was dirt cheap, but I feel much the same way about it.

challism

13 Dec 2018

I will also chime in, again, and say that this pricing really bothers me. When the sale price for the full product is so greatly reduced, why isn't the upgrade price reduced proportionally?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Aosta

13 Dec 2018

challism wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I will also chime in, again, and say that this pricing really bothers me. When the sale price for the full product is so greatly reduced, why isn't the upgrade price reduced proportionally?
I will also chime! Been waiting ever since version 2 came out for a sensible upgrade price yet here we all are....still :eh:
Tend the flame

Zerosity

13 Dec 2018

Add me to the list of Parsec 1 owners waiting on a sensible upgrade price.

challism

13 Dec 2018

I'm happy enough with Parsec 1 to never pay $39 for the upgrade. But if an upgrade were, say, $9-19 during a sale, I'd be all over that upgrade. And I'm sure I'm not alone there. I think Props would sell far more upgrades if they dropped the upgrade price in the next sale. Who is upgrading after 1 or 2 years goes by, anyway? Not for the full price, I won't. I've held out this long, and as I said before, I'm happy enough with Parsec 1 to keep that $39 in my own wallet.

Ahornberg

13 Dec 2018

I did the upgrade last year and it was worth every cent.

challism

13 Dec 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I'm glad you are happy. And I'm not saying the upgrade isn't worth it. But a sale price would be appreciated and it totally makes sense to drop the upgrade price in accordance to the sale price of the full version.

I have lost track of how many REs I have. Well over 300, I'm sure. So I already have plenty to play with, but would also like to upgrade Parsec if the price is right. If not.... I wont.

scratchnsnifff

13 Dec 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
13 Dec 2018
I got it the week it was released and was glad that I did! Parsec2 has many of the features that Europa would later have. Except Europa appears to build off of those concepts

For instance the vocal modifier that says my name is parsec. Is the same thing as taking a sample and using it as a spectral filter shape, but in parsec you are only able to use the my name is parsec sample.
Also the resonator filters in Europa appear to have a similar shape to parsecs body wide and narrow filters.
So for those who have parsec 1, and have reason 10 you aren’t getting many new things. Sure parsec 2 adds the 4 unique additive modifiers and Thor tables in a resynthesized manor, but Europa covers most of it :)

I wish they would make parsec 3 with resynthisis, a better bin editor with some advanced functionality, and maybe a dual layer of the oscillators which would provide 4. Parsec has the possibility of becoming reasons first in house developed hyper synth. (Omnisphere/vps avenger territory)

But with all of this said parsec 2 is worth every penny if you like the different taste, the Thor tables don’t just sound the same as in Thor. The drawable filter is amazing for being able to shape Thor tables, the pitch envelope editor yields some very interesting textures (the partial envelope is something that takes the cake for myself)

Parsec 2 is much fun :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

• Information