Do I "need" Vk-1 if I already have Vk-2

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

07 Dec 2018

Well I know they don't model the same gear and Vk-2 is a modular, much more powerful device but it's also much more complex to program and more CPU-heavy... But even looking at the introductory video they frequently mention that it has the features of "Vk-1 and additionally [...]" - oscillators, filter, etc. I know I want it, but do I need it in a sense that it sounds differently?

BTW, is there a way to get the original Vk-1 skin?! That one was lovely :o

Last edited by antic604 on 07 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Watts

07 Dec 2018

I like VK-1 a lot and use it most when working on West Coast inspired hip hop tracks. I got it in the original synthetic rig that propellerhead offered some years back. Last I remember, Blamsoft put out a vst version of It with a “pay what you want” (free) price option. While I can’t say that you need both Viking synths, VK-1 is definitely nice to have for bread and butter moog bass and lead sounds.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 Dec 2018

Nah :). Don’t do it man. Be strong.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

07 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Nah :). Don’t do it man. Be strong.
I won't.

It helps that I just bought 2nd hand Octatrack Mk1 (at 27x the cost of Vk-1...) to go with my Analog Four Mk1 :puf_bigsmile:

dioxide

07 Dec 2018

You don't "need" anything!

They are two different synths, despite the naming. VK1 is an emulation of a Moog Voyager. VK2 is a more flexible modular in the spirit of Moog. VK2 is very heavy on CPU so you can't use many instances of it unless you have a very powerful computer.

antic604

07 Dec 2018

dioxide wrote:
07 Dec 2018
You don't "need" anything!They are two different synths, despite the naming. VK1 is an emulation of a Moog Voyager. VK2 is a more flexible modular in the spirit of Moog. VK2 is very heavy on CPU so you can't use many instances of it unless you have a very powerful computer.
I actually said ALL of that in my opening post, but thanks! :)

Noise
Competition Winner

07 Dec 2018

But VK1 has some new sweet presets for the synthwave lovers, crafted by eXode!!
Not helping :D ?
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

antic604

07 Dec 2018

Noise wrote:
07 Dec 2018
But VK1 has some new sweet presets for the synthwave lovers, crafted by eXode!! Not helping :D?
For me personally, no.

Ahornberg

07 Dec 2018

VK-1 is lighter on CPU.

FLVZ

07 Dec 2018

Although they share the name, they are two very different devices that work differently in some ways. Vk1 is fantastic for quick results, Vk2 is generally superior in every department. I think you need to apply context, e.g. To get the results out of VK2 that resemble VK1 it would take a lot of understanding for the underlying architecture of VK1 in which case I'd use VK1 simply because its much healthier for the creative process (speed x efficiency = preserving the creative idea by moving it forward quickly); however take the time to learn VK2 and it wouldn't be so intrusive on your creative process trying to figure out stuff with the crazy amount of options available to you. In the end its all about how you work rather than the tool itself. Some people like simplicity, some people live the complexicity life!

Majestik Monkey

09 Dec 2018

Buy it anyway ' its worth every penny plus it does have its own sound ...............

• Information