How to Keep the GRAIN"s" in TIME....??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
trizz

04 Dec 2018

YO :shock:

Does anyone know a trick to keep the "Grains" in Grain, in time?
In other words where is the "Beat Sync" button for Grain (I see the
sync buttons for the LFOs and the ENVs)

Makes no sense why there isn't a sync button so the grains can advance in
a synced tempo or a specifc rhythm. :ugeek:

does anyone have a specific work around for this function?

THankzzz

Reasonable man

05 Dec 2018

Yes but for some reason it works best in two bar loops. You can use a four bar loop but i think you have to re-draw the note for garin after 2 bars to get it to sync up.
If its a rythmic sample it helps if its already synced to the global tempo of your song . Timetretch it up or down to an even number bar length so it matches . If you need the oppostite and need the song mapped to your sample you can find the tempo of your sample using this guys method
Either way it helps if its synced.

Then reset grain device and drag your sample loop into grain. Use playback mode 'Envelope 1' in the top left, the default ramp envelope is what you need so you dont have to draw your own evelope. Then go to your envelope section and press loop and then beat sync. If your sample is 2 bars set synced tempo of the envelope to 2 bars. Obviously 4 bars if its 4. Everytime you trigger a note the sample is now synced to envelope 1.
If you want to draw in midi notes instead but not change the pitch of your original sample in anyway; its important to draw the notes in on the actual root note of the sample which you can find by pressing the 'root key' function in the sample editor to find out which note grain has decided is the root note of your sample. Thats the jist of it. But you dont strictly have to use enevelope 1 as your postion mode to get everything synced ...instead you can type Envelope 1 -100- Postion in the mod matrix . This frees you up to use any playback mode in the sample editor and still have things synced . Hydelide does this i his tutorial . Its very handy.

trizz

06 Dec 2018

Mmm Ok thats cool!! Thank you!! :D :D :D :D

Does anyone else have his or her own ways of getting the "Grains" in Grain to sync?? :twisted:
In terms of advancing grains by quarter notes, sixteenth notes etc etc.

EnochLight

07 Dec 2018

trizz wrote:
04 Dec 2018
YO :shock:

Does anyone know a trick to keep the "Grains" in Grain, in time?
In other words where is the "Beat Sync" button for Grain (I see the
sync buttons for the LFOs and the ENVs)

Makes no sense why there isn't a sync button so the grains can advance in
a synced tempo or a specifc rhythm. :ugeek:

does anyone have a specific work around for this function?

THankzzz
The only way to get Grain's envelope to sync to the main sequencer is to carefully draw in steps on beat. For some strange reason (that no one can explain), Props didn't make Grain's envelope points "snap" to grid on beat, so you pretty much have to wing it. Really hoping they address this at some point, as it would make creating rhythmic patches a lot easier (this is in both Grain as well as Europa). Double clicking points on the grid to get envelope snap points to quantize is almost possible. :puf_unhappy:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

trizz

11 Dec 2018

Yeah this is kind of nuts,

It would've made a lot of sense and would have been much easier
if they had added a "Grains to grid Feature".
Just for the sake of "quick" rhythmic experimentation.

They have a lot of Grain-esque stuff in Reaktor that is all assigned
to tempos.

I will try to figure out my own work around or pseudo work around

• Information