Announcing Quad Note Generator

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:…But it felt more like fumbling in the dark, rather than a purposeful I-know-what-I'm-doing setup :D But perhaps it's what music is all about, ie. a series of "happy accidents" that you can recognise as working well and can capture?
It took me a few days to get comfortable with this device. The first thing I suggest is to focus on the Patterns. They progress in a straight forward manor from one note (pattern 1) to 32 constant notes (pattern 32), with 16 notes on pattern 16 (every other note), and similar relationships from there.

Once you understand how the patterns are laid out, you can use the other controls to restrict the range of possible patterns for each lane in a way that makes sense for what you’re going for.

The rest of the controls are more straight forward once you understand the hierarchy and relationship between them. They actually allow a large degree of control IMO, despite the overall appearent “randomness” of the device.

Happy to answer more specific questions if they arise. :)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

05 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
05 Dec 2018
It took me a few days to get comfortable with this device.
Well, I only had like an hour and I had to talk to my wife simultaneously who was apparently mad at me for not paying my full, undivided attention on her once I got back from work :puf_wink: :D

Thanks for the tips, @Selig

Exowildebeest

05 Dec 2018

Great to see the panda adopted :thumbs_up:

Will definitely get this at some point!

Bixbambi

05 Dec 2018

Here is my use of the quad note.

He's very interesting. We recognize the spirit of Electric Panda. If you read the manual, there is a way to do something other than ambient or other techno. If the Quad Note can do music alone. Mastering it is really a plus for creativity. Good listen to friends.

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2018

I have used this for about 25mins (due to kids) and already had some beautiful results hooked up to the legend. Thanks selig for the explanation above will be trying to fully understand it this weekend. Giles if i can ask in this unrelated thread are you likely to have a sale on your leveller this new year (couldnt afford it during black friday)

selig
RE Developer

05 Dec 2018

Popey wrote:
05 Dec 2018
I have used this for about 25mins (due to kids) and already had some beautiful results hooked up to the legend. Thanks selig for the explanation above will be trying to fully understand it this weekend. Giles if i can ask in this unrelated thread are you likely to have a sale on your leveller this new year (couldnt afford it during black friday)
Maybe, depends on whether everyone is naughty or nice…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Dec 2018

Maybe, depends on whether everyone is naughty or nice…
;)
[/quote]

In that case please everyone be nice so santa delivers a sale 🎅👍

groggy1

05 Dec 2018

I really like the UI of this Player.

I'm also really happy with the aesthetic that the Players all seem to have (that white & green color-scheme, for example). It's so nice when going around the rack to have my eye be able to differentiate Players vs. REs/VSTs. This was really well thought out by Props.

Tim

06 Dec 2018

I downloaded the trial and connected each line to a different instrument. As far as I can work out (I'm not a Reason expert but I have read the QNG manual), when you send the MIDI to tracks ("direct record" or "send to track"), it all goes to one track, namely the Line 1 track.
Anyone know if there's a way to get each line to send to its own instrument track?

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Anyone know how QND compares with Audiomodern's Riffer?

I just found out about its existence and for me - as a multiple DAW user - this might be a more appealing option? Does it even work in Reason, though (as a MIDI VST)?

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Tim wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I downloaded the trial and connected each line to a different instrument. As far as I can work out (I'm not a Reason expert but I have read the QNG manual), when you send the MIDI to tracks ("direct record" or "send to track"), it all goes to one track, namely the Line 1 track.
Anyone know if there's a way to get each line to send to its own instrument track?
Maybe try different Output modes on the right?

Alternatively you could wire the 1-4 CV/gates to 4 instances of CV Player Tap on separate tracks and record their output instead (I think this would work...)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2018

Instrument with randomized matrix connected to Ochen K's cv tuner?
Any similarities? :o
??!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

06 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018
??!
Not even close.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
06 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018
??!
Not even close.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

06 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
06 Dec 2018

Not even close.
You should trial QNG, I think you'll really like it!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
06 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018

You should trial QNG, I think you'll really like it!
Ha ha...I'm gonna. Just as soon as I get my kids to bed. No witnesses :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bixbambi

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Tim wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Maybe try different Output modes on the right?

Alternatively you could wire the 1-4 CV/gates to 4 instances of CV Player Tap on separate tracks and record their output instead (I think this would work...)

I tested with CV Player Tap but it does not work. (Or, I do not know how to do it .. it's possible.)
In my production above. I used the Freeze mode to have a sequence for each track.
To have lunch on each track. I moved the tracks to record them one by one in line 1. Then I slipped / dropped in the track of the instrument.
Indeed, I am waiting for an expert to find us the remedy if it exists. I am also interested in a better solution. :roll:

EnochLight

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Anyone know how QND compares with Audiomodern's Riffer?

I just found out about its existence and for me - as a multiple DAW user - this might be a more appealing option? Does it even work in Reason, though (as a MIDI VST)?
QNG is actually very similar to Riffer - both take a Euclidean rhythm approach to their random patterns. But Reason doesn't accept MIDI FX (which is what Riffer is), so without some complex MIDI loopback fun in Reason using IDT, I'm afraid your SOL.

I thought you weren't using VST anymore and switched to Reason + RE's only for creative purposes? Might have misunderstood your past posts, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

06 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2018
QNG is actually very similar to Riffer - both take a Euclidean rhythm approach to their random patterns. But Reason doesn't accept MIDI FX (which is what Riffer is), so without some complex MIDI loopback fun in Reason using IDT, I'm afraid your SOL.

I thought you weren't using VST anymore and switched to Reason + RE's only for creative purposes? Might have misunderstood your past posts, though.
I just tested Riffer and I don't like it - the demo has restrictions that prevent from testing it thoroughly, you can't automate any parameters and it doesn't accept MIDI input...

Yes, you understood me correctly. I was thinking of Riffer for my other DAWs :)

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Bixbambi wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I tested with CV Player Tap but it does not work. (Or, I do not know how to do it .. it's possible.)
Works here. I used Combis instead of actual instruments, but logic is the same. Once you have this set up and the sequence frozen, just set the loop brackets in sequencer and press "Send to Track" on each CV Player Tap - it will add new MIDI clip on corresponding tracks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1utuM9 ... ch0sh2M7ia

WongoTheSane

06 Dec 2018

Tim wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Here's a somewhat cumbersome but easy way:

1) Disable all but Lane 1 on QNG.
2) Make sure Bypass All is Off and Direct Record is On.
3) If QNG is in Key mode (as opposed to Seq), click on Run (not necessary if it's in Seq mode).
4) Click on Send To Track. It will create a clip on the sequencer track with notes from Lane 1 only.
5) Re-disable Bypass All (it's been turned on automatically at step 4).
6) Disable Lane 1 and enable Lane 2.
7) Go to step 3, and keep proceeding for Lanes 3 and 4.

It will create as many lanes on the sequencer track as necessary, with each clip on a single lane, muting the previous ones as you go. You can then un-mute and dispatch them as you see fit.

Edit: just saw antic604's post above. His method is much faster once the setup is done.

Tim

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Bixbambi wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Works here. I used Combis instead of actual instruments, but logic is the same. Once you have this set up and the sequence frozen, just set the loop brackets in sequencer and press "Send to Track" on each CV Player Tap - it will add new MIDI clip on corresponding tracks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1utuM9 ... ch0sh2M7ia
Hi, thanks for this! It's helped a lot - I've managed to get a fair bit further by trying to copy your method (though without understanding a couple of key details): I can now get separate MIDI tracks for lines 2, 3 and 4, but line 1 still continues to contain all the MIDI from all the tracks. I think know why that's happening, it's because I create the QNG player as an add-on to the first instrument, which means that the Tap CV thing sits on top of the QNG instead of on top of the instrument itself.
I can see that's not how you've done it - in your setup, you somehow managed to get all 4 Tap CVs directly on top of the instruments and the QNG sits on top of a combinator. Is it possible to get the same effect without combinators? Cos I have no idea how to use them - I know I should learn, but it would be great to be able to put that off for now and get on with trying out the QNG. I've just spent a few minutes looking at your wiring and I'm none the wiser.

Meantime it's true that I can get plenty of use out of just 3 tracks with what I've got now, so thanks for that already!

Thanks also to the others who've responded to my question (I can't see their names while I'm typing this...) :D

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Tim wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Is it possible to get the same effect without combinators? Cos I have no idea how to use them - I know I should learn, but it would be great to be able to put that off for now and get on with trying out the QNG. I've just spent a few minutes looking at your wiring and I'm none the wiser.
Sure. Just drag an instrument into sequencer, open the rack, add CP Player Tap on top of that instrument and connect cables from QNG gate/CV outs to CP Player Tap's gate/CV ins; repeat that 4 times and you'll have setup like mine, without Combinators :)

It's important to have QNG on a separate track, but in order to add it there needs to be some sort of Instrument to attach it to. I used Combinator because it's treated like an instrument, but doesn't have to contain one. Think of this track as an orchestrator for the other 4 tracks.

Yonatan

07 Dec 2018

The more one gets to know this QuadNote player, the less one will be able to live without it. Impressed how well it handles some drums too.
I hope it could be in the Reward section, if so only accepting the €25 voucher. I mean, I can understand that this new €69 device is not going to be accepting 50 reward-points, but pls let it allow the €25 one now after 30 days trial has passed, it would be the perfect intro price for many of us now near new year. I would buy it straight away. Who with reward points would not? QNP feels like a "must have"-device as a main Reason user.

challism

07 Dec 2018

Yonatan wrote:
07 Dec 2018
The more one gets to know this QuadNote player, the less one will be able to live without it. Impressed how well it handles some drums too.
I hope it could be in the Reward section, if so only accepting the €25 voucher. I mean, I can understand that this new €69 device is not going to be accepting 50 reward-points, but pls let it allow the €25 one now after 30 days trial has passed, it would be the perfect intro price for many of us now near new year. I would buy it straight away. Who with reward points would not? QNP feels like a "must have"-device as a main Reason user.
I'm really eager to try this Player out. Looks tight! I know I'm going to love it. After all, it's a Panda product! What's not to love?

I'm sure this will eventually be available in the rewards store, just not right out of the gates as they can probably make way more money selling it for full price right now. So, I guess patience is your answer.

And speaking of rewards, I really wish rewards were RETROACTIVE! I have spent thousands of dollars on REs at this point. But I don't get any rewards for those purchases. I think I have bought one RE since rewards were introduced, and it was for $19. Oh well. I have just about all the REs I want at this point, but this Player is probably my next purchase.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information