What About a grain vst?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

06 Dec 2018

With any of the propellerhead ventures, I also hope their work on the Europa vst went well. I honestly hope it went so well that we will someday see grain as a vst :D

But I’d assume they would need sample drag and drop before they made a vst that was based 50% on samples

Do you guys think this will be a thing?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

antic604

06 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Honestly, no - because:
1) I think Europa did poorly, especially because of the price tag
2) Europa was IMO a proof of concept for RE & VST developers to showcase Props' technology to easily port REs to VST and WebAudio, to make the RE environment more compelling to them
3) They want people to get Reason, and then spend money in RE shop

Loque

06 Dec 2018

Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

06 Dec 2018

So a solid 60% chance perhaps?
Or a solid 60% of people who took that poll want a grain vst

scratchnsnifff

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Honestly, no - because:
1) I think Europa did poorly, especially because of the price tag
2) Europa was IMO a proof of concept for RE & VST developers to showcase Props' technology to easily port REs to VST and WebAudio, to make the RE environment more compelling to them
3) They want people to get Reason, and then spend money in RE shop
Yeah I can kind of agree on the price tag. The Europa video doesn’t even show all of its features. I feel like if they had a vps avenger type of series, it might do better. All I can find from them is the livestream with the 1.0 features, then one of the videos that came out when 10 was released, the Europa promo video. So if people watch that, they won’t even know about user samples or the large bank of tables that comes with it

Maybe it would be a better idea for them to just make a re wrapper

Loque

06 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Why? If they can compile it native.
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

06 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
My thoughts on a wrapper is as follows

Having a Re to vst wrapper could open the entire propellerhead store to everyone
Then they wouldn’t even have to make the same synth twice (not sure how porting works, but I imagine you would essentially create the same code multiple times)

Opening the prop shop to the masses could be a great thing because then users with multiple daws can use all of their rack extensions, and if users who like the wrapper and the devices in them, they might be likely to check out the entire platform. Because seeing the Res might make people want to check out the hype that has followed Thor and other stock devices, Iv seen people say that they wanted scream 4 and Thor as a vst.

Idk anything about under the hood or coding. But I feel like it makes more sense to have a instant converter for this type of code rather than doing it one by one, lol I could be very wrong about all of this but it’s a fun idea

Loque

06 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2018

My thoughts on a wrapper is as follows

Having a Re to vst wrapper could open the entire propellerhead store to everyone
Then they wouldn’t even have to make the same synth twice (not sure how porting works, but I imagine you would essentially create the same code multiple times)

Opening the prop shop to the masses could be a great thing because then users with multiple daws can use all of their rack extensions, and if users who like the wrapper and the devices in them, they might be likely to check out the entire platform. Because seeing the Res might make people want to check out the hype that has followed Thor and other stock devices, Iv seen people say that they wanted scream 4 and Thor as a vst.

Idk anything about under the hood or coding. But I feel like it makes more sense to have a instant converter for this type of code rather than doing it one by one, lol I could be very wrong about all of this but it’s a fun idea
I dont understand it. If they can compile a RE native to a VST, why would there be the need for a RE->VST wrapper? Since what i saw in the video means, that every RE developer may be able to sell their RE as VSTs at the same time through the PH shop.

Maybe i am just slow today...
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I dont understand it. If they can compile a RE native to a VST, why would there be the need for a RE->VST wrapper? Since what i saw in the video means, that every RE developer may be able to sell their RE as VSTs at the same time through the PH shop.

Well, 1) maybe not all RE devs would be interested in conversion, 2) it's possible you'd have to pay again for the VST, even if that'd be a cross-sale price

I'd prefer a Reason Rack VST with a browser, that'd connect to my Props account and allow me to build a whole chain of devices that'd output audio or MIDI. Many of REs would be useless standalone in other DAWs (say, Pulsar for example) but they're very valuable in the Rack context when paired with other REs.

scratchnsnifff

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2018

Well, 1) maybe not all RE devs would be interested in conversion, 2) it's possible you'd have to pay again for the VST, even if that'd be a cross-sale price

I'd prefer a Reason Rack VST with a browser, that'd connect to my Props account and allow me to build a whole chain of devices that'd output audio or MIDI. Many of REs would be useless standalone in other DAWs (say, Pulsar for example) but they're very valuable in the Rack context when paired with other REs.
I think you and I are on the same page, I love the idea of the props making a kiloheartz multi pass type of vst
That loads rack Extensions
By that I mean it would be a plug-in window with a few in house LFOs and envelopes maybe a follower

And when you press tab you could wire CV to and from the in house modulators plus what ever cv connections you’d need from your synths

I like this idea also because it would mean our entire library would be able to be used, rather than a sine Re to vst synth
Here and there

antic604

06 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I think you and I are on the same page
Hey, the OP post was your thousandth post! Congrats :) :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

06 Dec 2018

Did Europa VST do poorly? It got a 9/10 Choice Award at Music Tech, and people seem to like it over at KVR (which says a lot). Anyway, I wish they'd do a Grain VST. I haven't seen one granular synth VST that blew my skirt up. I still think Grain is one of the best out there.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

07 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Did Europa VST do poorly? It got a 9/10 Choice Award at Music Tech, and people seem to like it over at KVR (which says a lot). Anyway, I wish they'd do a Grain VST. I haven't seen one granular synth VST that blew my skirt up. I still think Grain is one of the best out there.
But does a synth even exist if it doesn’t have a sonic state video review?

EnochLight

07 Dec 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
07 Dec 2018
But does a synth even exist if it doesn’t have a sonic state video review?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Indeed!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

07 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
06 Dec 2018
I think you and I are on the same page
Hey, the OP post was your thousandth post! Congrats :) :thumbs_up:
Haha where is that stat located?
Do replies such as this count as a post?
Or have I flooded each subject on the forum with my wacky ideas?

mashers

07 Dec 2018

Personally I hope the props don't invest too much in VST versions of their devices. Resources spent doing this are resources that aren't being used to improve Reason, and as Reason users we already have access to the props' devices and don't need them in VST format. Also, I would hate to see a future where the props migrate all their devices to VST and then abandon Reason.

Oquasec

07 Dec 2018

Propellerhead should just make a 64bit Reason 5 vst for 25$...
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

07 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Also, I would hate to see a future where the props migrate all their devices to VST and then abandon Reason.
I don't think there's any chance in hell of that happening, so it's all good. ;)

• Information