Really hanging for this Peformance Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

01 Dec 2018

moneykube wrote:
01 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
30 Nov 2018

For God's sake - disable that shit. You're wasting at least 15% of possible performance (and wrecking your nerves) because of it :o
wait :shock: :o :shock: :roll: :exclamation: :exclamation: you can disable that... grrr... off to relook at preferences duh
Yeah, set the CPU limit to "none" :)

Studio67

02 Dec 2018

Placing the CPU performance on none is depending on the system you are running on. For example on laptops it's much better to use the 95% because it will throttle like a LFO. I work on 2 systems: Imac i7 4.6 gig and a windows surface pro 2018 model (i5). On both systems i can run a amount of VST without problems. When i use for example the iZotope plugins (Neutron), Softube modular then i see that Reason is getting some performance problems (GPU and CPU). So for me the best resolution is to run those hungry VST plugins inside Renoise and Rewire with Reason for this moment. (Only the instruments plugins)

moneykube

05 Dec 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
01 Dec 2018
this still makes me chuckle days latter ... thanx for this info though
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

antic604

06 Dec 2018

Studio67 wrote:
02 Dec 2018
Placing the CPU performance on none is depending on the system you are running on. For example on laptops it's much better to use the 95% because it will throttle like a LFO.
That's not absolute and universal truth - my Surface Pro 4 i7 can run for hours at a 3.1GHz (base 2.2, max 3.2), doesn't throttle and it's a friggin tablet!

Also, the fact that you'd set your CPU limit to say 90% doesn't mean your CPU will run at 90% of its max clock (and thus avoid throttling) - it simply means Reason will stop playback and display warning if CPU utilisation reaches those 90%. To make it worse, this limit is in relation to current CPU throughput, so if I'd be running mine at base clock of 2.2GHz Reason would cut the playback when I only used 1.98GHz. So, those are completely different and unrelated things :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Studio67 wrote:
02 Dec 2018
Placing the CPU performance on none is depending on the system you are running on. For example on laptops it's much better to use the 95% because it will throttle like a LFO.
That's not absolute and universal truth - my Surface Pro 4 i7 can run for hours at a 3.1GHz (base 2.2, max 3.2), doesn't throttle and it's a friggin tablet!

Also, the fact that you'd set your CPU limit to say 90% doesn't mean your CPU will run at 90% of its max clock (and thus avoid throttling) - it simply means Reason will stop playback and display warning if CPU utilisation reaches those 90%. To make it worse, this limit is in relation to current CPU throughput, so if I'd be running mine at base clock of 2.2GHz Reason would cut the playback when I only used 1.98GHz. So, those are completely different and unrelated things :)
Aha. That makes sense. Just because it says 90% doesn’t mean it uses 90% right? It only uses what it need up to a limit of 90% then shuts off. Didn’t think of that before.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

06 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Aha. That makes sense. Just because it says 90% doesn’t mean it uses 90% right? It only uses what it need up to a limit of 90% then shuts off. Didn’t think of that before.
Yes, it uses up to 90% of what's available at any given moment and then cuts off.

If you ask me, it's a completely useless setting.

Oquasec

06 Dec 2018

Oh yeah it's the end of the year already
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

WongoTheSane

06 Dec 2018

It's a technicality, but it's 90% of DSP use, not CPU use. You could very well have your DSP maxed while your CPU still has power to spare (if only because one of the cores is kept free of audio work to be able to handle the graphics, which means your CPU will never go above, for instance, 75% + whatever the rest of the computer is doing, if you have 4 cores (unless you're playing Fortnite at the same time, obviously).

antic604

06 Dec 2018

^^^ true :)

plasticfractal

07 Dec 2018

I wonder if it is still going to come out this year. It must be a seriously complicated issue if a team of developers is still working hard on it after a year or longer. I hope those guys are doing ok, I am a little worried.

stephensmattlee

07 Dec 2018

I’m going to make a prediction, the VST performance update will be Reason 10.5 and will come along early next year with some beta testing along with it prior to the main release, maybe February/March but not long after that we’ll get an announcement of Reason 11 to follow in the summer.
Pure speculation of course [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oquasec

07 Dec 2018

Mortal Kombat 11 is definitely not gonna be how the older ones were :)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

jappe

07 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2018
MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2018
Yes, it uses up to 90% of what's available at any given moment and then cuts off.

If you ask me, it's a completely useless setting.
I see one useful scenario: if you are working on a stationary machine + laptop and want to make sure the stuff you do on the stationary is runnable on the laptop performance wise.

miscend

07 Dec 2018

Data_Shrine wrote:
29 Nov 2018
fotizimo wrote:
29 Nov 2018

See, this is where things are different for me. If I bring up projects made in v8 (no VSTs) and made on the exact same laptop, in Reason v10, they do not play like they used to.

If I create a project in v10 this morning and close out, and bring up later, the performance is horrible. It is just a very inconsistent experience for me, and makes things hard to continue to work. If I start with a blank project, and built our using even only REs, things will be fine. But those same projects do not work well later. All of this while using Window's High Performance setting. I can barely use Reason unless I have manually set High Performance.

So for my experience, this isn't wholly a VST performance issue, this is a Reason in-general issue.
Performance got worse (a lot) for me too with v10, even without VST, on macOS. I actually disable them, because I use VST only in rewired projects (for now), so they are hosted in another DAW. Reason becomes unusable if I don't disable the on-board graphic card on my MBP. It was a stated solution, but not everyone has a dedicated graphic card on their mac.

So I hope that the performance update will go beyond VST-only. I first noticed Reason performing worse with the VST update on v9. Just slower in general, again, even without using VST. It got even worse with v10.

Anyway. Hope it will be sorted soon, and if they can't fix it all in the upcoming update, I hope they will keep working on it until performance is acceptable. It's one of the reasons I didn't plunge on some Black Friday deals this year - i'm taking a wait and see attitude to see how this will pan out.
That doesn’t seem normal. I have the discrete graphics card permanently disabled on my MBP to save on battery and thermals. Without any performance penalty. It’s not like Reason is doing anything too taxing for an iGPU.

craste

08 Dec 2018

My PC is starting to max out now and distort and I have got an Intel i7-3770 @3.4GHz and 16GB of ram, its really annoying!

Really hoping to see the performance update soon!

• Information