Pitch shifting VSTs that lack native pitch shifting capabilities

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JungleFrank

04 Dec 2018

hey there

as the title says.im using the vst "addictive drums 2" and seeing how its a vst that strives for a super authentic drum sound and feel,they didnt include any global pitch shift options.and the pitch wheel in reasons rack does not affect it.now,i know i have many options to tackle this.i could program the drum pattern,slow it down to around 80bpm,bounce to wav/rex and then pitch shift to 160...but see,i make 90s dnb/jungle and being able to audition all the kicks,snares,toms etc already pitch shifted and play with em in real time would be phenomenal for me.game changer.AD2 is perfect for making gritty,dirty,crisp, vintage sounding 70s funk breaks from scratch.now imagine how cool it would be if i didnt have to work within the confines of the break and have all the sounds already pitched up to where i want them!so many kits,all sounding cohesive and recorded in the same room,same audio quality,etc...would be fantastic

so,my question is...is there a way to do pitch shifting in real times to vsts that dont support it?(maybe a workaround,or maybe something thats right there but i somehow missed)either within reason or 3rd party plug in?i tried neptune but the algorithm it uses does not translate to drums well.sounds horrible.it just changes the pitch and not the speed.which creates those ugly artifacts .....so?any ideas?i'd really appreciate it...thanks in advance

mashers

04 Dec 2018

Couldn't you just route the audio output from the drum kit VST into a Neptune and use that to pitch shift?

JungleFrank

04 Dec 2018

@mashers
like i said in the first post...thats what i did.i tried to use neptune.but it sounds like crap.i need it to sound the way the shift wheel in the nnxt or kong sounds when it affects both the speed and the pitch at the same time and it gives it that organic iconic feel synonymous with dnb.i think neptune was not intended for drums(especially not jumps from 80 to 160 bpm).the algorithm it uses is intended for slight vocal corrections(i think)

Addictive drums does have "pitch" features but its ACTUAL pitch (literally tightening the skin of the drums)...so ...not what im looking for.

@antic604
i will check the rack extensions suggested...thank you

chimp_spanner

04 Dec 2018

I know it's not much of a solution as it involves spending money but Superior 3 is amazing for this. It has some kind of drum-aware pitch shifting that, in drum head mode for example, will keep the stick impact or snare rattle more or less in tact, but detune the body and resonance of the drum. And you can load custom samples into it as well. I don't know how much it is to buy outright but it's seriously amazing.

Reading online about Addictive Drums though there is a way to tune the drums in the UI, no? The kind of pitch shifting you're talking about (in breakbeats or whatever) doesn't need any kind of complex pitch shifting or time stretching. It's literally just higher, and faster. So in AD you should just be able to re-pitch the drums and program in a fast drum beat, and it'll sound the same as a slow beat, sampled but played back faster. Unless I'm misunderstanding!

mashers

04 Dec 2018

JungleFrank wrote:
04 Dec 2018
@mashers
like i said in the first post...thats what i did.i tried to use neptune.but it sounds like crap.i need it to sound the way the shift wheel in the nnxt or kong sounds when it affects both the speed and the pitch at the same time and it gives it that organic iconic feel synonymous with dnb.i think neptune was not intended for drums(especially not jumps from 80 to 160 bpm).the algorithm it uses is intended for slight vocal corrections(i think)

Addictive drums does have "pitch" features but its ACTUAL pitch (literally tightening the skin of the drums)...so ...not what im looking for.

@antic604
i will check the rack extensions suggested...thank you
Sorry I didn’t see that you had already tried this in your original post.

JungleFrank

04 Dec 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
04 Dec 2018
I know it's not much of a solution as it involves spending money but Superior 3 is amazing for this. It has some kind of drum-aware pitch shifting that, in drum head mode for example, will keep the stick impact or snare rattle more or less in tact, but detune the body and resonance of the drum. And you can load custom samples into it as well. I don't know how much it is to buy outright but it's seriously amazing.

Reading online about Addictive Drums though there is a way to tune the drums in the UI, no? The kind of pitch shifting you're talking about (in breakbeats or whatever) doesn't need any kind of complex pitch shifting or time stretching. It's literally just higher, and faster. So in AD you should just be able to re-pitch the drums and program in a fast drum beat, and it'll sound the same as a slow beat, sampled but played back faster. Unless I'm misunderstanding!
like i said,im aware of the pitch in addictive drums.but it sounds more like tuning than "pitching".AD2 is going for authenticity.so the "pitch" feature is actually striving to sound like a drum ACTUALLY getting physically tuned.(tightening the skin).i hate to be a stickler ,but i need that unnatural "ugly" pitch shift...you know what i mean?it gives it that unique ,distinguished sound (its just part of the whole vibe artifacts,weird harmonics and all).ive reached the conclusion that my best bet would probably be to create a template in the sequencer with a note for each individual drum hit for ad2,bounce to rex,pitch up and play them as one shots

• Information