Microphone for vocals - advice needed

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

16 Jun 2017

The_G wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
The_G wrote:Now the real work begins...singing with confidence haha
Heheh - go forth and sing! ;)

Slightly related: what are you using for vocal de-essing? For the record, I strongly suggest Selig's DeEsser Rack Extension if you want to stay ITB with Reason. Even with VST available, Selig's DeEsser is probably one of the best de-essers on the market. It's quick and effective, yet extremely simple.
I use Tone Boosters Sibilance, but I do have Selig DeEsser, so I'll try that as well.
I've got Tone Boosters Sibilance as well. I'd rate Selig's DeEsser at least as good, but a lot simpler to use, IMHO. That said, if you prefer a fancy GUI/UX and display, Tone Boosters Sibilance wins (sorry Selig)! ;).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

16 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
The_G wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
The_G wrote:Now the real work begins...singing with confidence haha
Heheh - go forth and sing! ;)

Slightly related: what are you using for vocal de-essing? For the record, I strongly suggest Selig's DeEsser Rack Extension if you want to stay ITB with Reason. Even with VST available, Selig's DeEsser is probably one of the best de-essers on the market. It's quick and effective, yet extremely simple.
I use Tone Boosters Sibilance, but I do have Selig DeEsser, so I'll try that as well.
I've got Tone Boosters Sibilance as well. I'd rate Selig's DeEsser at least as good, but a lot simpler to use, IMHO. That said, if you prefer a fancy GUI/UX and display, Tone Boosters Sibilance wins (sorry Selig)! ;).
I agree - Selig DeEsser was designed to "just work" without having to touch a single knob in most cases, but there are many options out there for those who love to go down the "rabbit hole"!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

cognitive

27 Nov 2018

For live, I'll use a dynamic mic like a Shure Beta 58 or a Super 55 (which has a Beta 58 like capsule).

For studio vocals, I usually grab a large diaphragm condenser mic, a Shure KSM32 being my basic go-to, or other condenser mics for different voices. Sometimes I break out the Shure SM7B for certain voice types. Hey, if it was good enough for Michael Jackson ...

For spoken voice intended for broadcast, I almost always go with the SM7B.

All that being said, you can certainly get great sounding recordings with something like a 57/58. Most of John Lennon's vocals were done with a 57. Legendary producer Andy Johns often used a 58 to record vocals instead of pricier condenser mics. You know ... The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, etc... And a 58 was used to record a lot of Billy Idol's vocals. Now, add the additional quality and clarity of the beta line and you're really cooking. :)

cognitive

27 Nov 2018

Sorry, that last post reads like an ad for Shure. :o

WeLoveYouToo

28 Nov 2018

buy a 57/58 at the store and return the one you like least. once you properly treat your recording space get a nt1 or similar. the condenser mic will pick up what your voice sounds like including the reflections of the room. the dynamic mics (57/58) will pick up just your voice, but you will probably want to add some verb and sparkle in post.
just remember the nicest condenser mic and micheal jackson in your studio singing for you will sound like a recording made in a room at the end of the day, whereas a 99$ 57 will pick up just the noise in fromt of it (your voice) and let you mix easier. it’s all about the mix, not the quality of mic.

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2018

cognitive wrote:
All that being said, you can certainly get great sounding recordings with something like a 57/58. Most of John Lennon's vocals were done with a 57. Legendary producer Andy Johns often used a 58 to record vocals instead of pricier condenser mics. You know ... The Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, etc... And a 58 was used to record a lot of Billy Idol's vocals. Now, add the additional quality and clarity of the beta line and you're really cooking. :)
Not at all sure “most” of John Lennon’s vocals were done on a 57 - certainly not most of his Beatles catalog. I’ve hear “Rock and Roll” was possibly done on a 57, but that’s only one album.

Things like this are notoriously difficult to be 100% certain about, as sometimes the rough/tracking vocals are done with one microphone (and folks on that session report that microphone), while the final vocal may be re-recorded (more than once) on different microphones. So even if you witnessed a vocal being recorded on one mic, it may have later been re-recorded on another.

I can say that many male vocals over the years have been recorded on the venerable SM7(b), often removing all of the built in wind screen/shielding and using a separate pop filter. Many live performers prefer a hand held microphone (such as a 57 or 58) for studio work, as they have learned to work the mic by hand (studio mics have to be worked by moving your head rather than your hand, a totally different technique some singers do not like!). Plus, they can move around the room more without getting “off mic”. In the end, it’s often better to get a superior performance over a superior “sound”…

FWIW, the wind screen of the 58 if often the only reason it is preferred to the 57, as there is little difference between the two otherwise.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Mr. Watts

03 Dec 2018

I used to have an AT4040 and I really liked it a lot. Sold it years back due to life situations and have since gotten an AT2035. The sound is good for a low budget mic and I’m able to get a decent result with the right eq, comp, and reverb. With that said, I would much rather have the 4040 and am looking to upgrade as soon as financially possible. If you are able to buy a used 4040 in good condition I would go that route.

eusti

03 Dec 2018

Not sure if someone has mentioned 3U's mics yet? https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... cings.html
I have one and am quite happy with it.

D.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

05 Dec 2018

We've got Slate ML1 with VMS One a while ago, never looked back, some seriously cool emulations with that. And then we got the ML2 as well. Both condensers, work really well with the VMS One as well as other soundcards (we've used the ML2 with Focusrite to record a guitar amp directly so we have a bit of room as well as the speaker.... long session with double tracking dry guitar in > Reason audio channel > Guitar Rig and other effects, including Scream with it's tracking effect.. sick... and then the ML2 recording the amp back in to Reason (so both wet and dry signals for recomping new effect version from the raw signal in the first place.

But for vocals, holy sh*t.... yeah we had sE X1 and a Rode but damn.... condenser all the way here. VMS just nails it. 25 mics for the price of a limb / lung on black market but well worth respirating :D

Razgriz_101

13 Dec 2018

I'm using a Behringer C1 for vocals, it's good for amateur use, but if my friends and I are to try and come up with something serious (short movies, but with decent quality), can we keep going with this one or should we consider upgrading to something better? Thanks!

• Information