10.2.1 has dropped.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

29 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018

that makes no sense to me lol
If you purchased a Reason license I feel like you should have access to it’s features new and old. So just to clarify I can only access from when I bought in at 8?

Darn was hoping to have a pre SSL jam, Iv done it in Reason 9 but there are totally different little features from 5 -10,
I get that you may feel that way, but that makes no sense to me. Why should you be offered past versions you never bought a license for? To me, it seems perfectly logical that if I actually had owned licenses for past version, then sure - I should have access to them. But if you never bought one before, then... ?
I guess I just view it as follows

I see reason as a product not counting which version. If Iv purchased a full license I think it would make sense to get access to the older model as it’s software and not a physical item. I know that it doesn’t make sense to let people get access to 12 when they bought 10. But I feel like if you have the current model, what’s so bad about letting people use the less feature packed version?

So because I have a license, so I have to go and find an older version and pay another 400?

Maybe I’m alone in this line of thinking?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

29 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018

I see reason as a product not counting which version. If Iv purchased a full license I think it would make sense to get access to the older model as it’s software and not a physical item. I know that it doesn’t make sense to let people get access to 12 when they bought 10. But I feel like if you have the current model, what’s so bad about letting people use the less feature packed version?

So because I have a license, so I have to go and find an older version and pay another 400?

I wouldn't imagine you're alone in that line of thinking, but having others in alignment with your perspective doesn't necessarily make it correct. The way I look at it is: if I bought a license to Windows 10, do I automatically get access to Windows 7 or Windows 95? Maybe a poor example using that particular product, but you hopefully understand my meaning.

If I bought a copy of iZotope Ozone 8, do I get access to Ozone 3 (spoiler alert: I didn't)?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Loque

29 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2018

I get that you may feel that way, but that makes no sense to me. Why should you be offered past versions you never bought a license for? To me, it seems perfectly logical that if I actually had owned licenses for past version, then sure - I should have access to them. But if you never bought one before, then... ?

Technical you never licensed the older versions and you don't have any rights to. That you get access to older versions is a generosity, but bot a must.

I can follow your thinking, but if i buy the latest Lamborghini i didn't own automatically the previous versions too... Sadly...
Reason12, Win10

scratchnsnifff

30 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
29 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018

Technical you never licensed the older versions and you don't have any rights to. That you get access to older versions is a generosity, but bot a must.

I can follow your thinking, but if i buy the latest Lamborghini i didn't own automatically the previous versions too... Sadly...
To clear up my train of thought I don’t think it’s 100000% necessaryfor users to gain access to older versions

I just see software different from physical objects. Mainly due to the fact that the newest licenses have way more to them.

Maybe the props could provide an option for purchasing older licenses, that would be amazing! Say you own 10, maybe in hour user account there could be an option to purchase which ever version via direct download for either an upgrade price or some sort of discounted price lol
I can’t find a reason 5 license for the life of me. I’d love to buy an old copy

NekujaK

01 Dec 2018

I think it's interesting that while the Props are busy working on performance improvements, which reaches down into the core of Reason's code base, and likely affects most other facets of the application, they are still able to code and release point fixes to the current version.

Just idle speculation on my part, but I wonder if when they began working on performance, they forked the code and now have two independent strains of Reason in the works. It's difficult for me to imagine they're all working on the same single code base, and yet are able to break off and release point versions that are completely unaffected by the performance work.

Extending this line of thought further... we could ultimately end up with two versions of Reason:
- Classic: which is the current Reason code, optimized for RE support, but with minimum or even no VST support
- Turbo: brand new code base with fully optimized support for VSTs and REs

Like I said... idle speculation :roll:
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

madmacman

01 Dec 2018

NekujaK wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Like I said... idle speculation :roll:
Indeed, we don't know how well the functional classes are isolated or modularized. If the overall codebase is robust, you could consider backporting portions of the new code and avoid branching. Maybe (even more speculating) this is what happened: some backports of R11 GUI changes to the R10 codebase.
Last edited by madmacman on 01 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

01 Dec 2018

NekujaK wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Just idle speculation on my part, but I wonder if when they began working on performance, they forked the code and now have two independent strains of Reason in the works. It's difficult for me to imagine they're all working on the same single code base, and yet are able to break off and release point versions that are completely unaffected by the performance work.
AFAIK that's usual in software development.

NekujaK

01 Dec 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Dec 2018
NekujaK wrote:
01 Dec 2018
In my experience, creating two independent branches of code is only done when A) there is an intention to end-of-life the older branch; or B) there is an intention to support two fully independent versions going forward.

If it's A, then why devote resources to releasing point updates to the old branch? If it's B, the point releases make more sense and the scenario I described in which there are two flavors of Reason available, is more likely.

I suppose there is also option C, where the two code branches will be merged, or backported as madmacman pointed out, but in my 20+ years of working with software companies, this is only done when the code is extremely robust and changes don't involve a complete overhaul of foundational architecture. From what little the Props have let on, it seems like the performance changes involve a substantial rewrite of core code.

But again, this is all pure conjecture and fanciful musings. It doesn't really matter what I think - only the Props know the real truth, and hopefully the results of their hard work will be released to the world very soon!
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

jam-s

01 Dec 2018

NekujaK wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
01 Dec 2018

In my experience, creating two independent branches of code is only done when A) there is an intention to end-of-life the older branch; or B) there is an intention to support two fully independent versions going forward.
If you're working with a modern version control system (like git) branching (and merging) is the default way of working and implementing new features.

sonicbyte

02 Dec 2018

Are the reported gui issues solved for this update?

Bod

02 Dec 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
02 Dec 2018
No. I believe they were introduced in this update. They're working on a fix.

selig
RE Developer

02 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
NekujaK wrote:
01 Dec 2018
If you're working with a modern version control system (like git) branching (and merging) is the default way of working and implementing new features.
That’s been my (limited) experience using git, lots of branching when making changes that may break things, and when separate teams are working on different parts of the UI or code base.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

03 Dec 2018

Bod wrote:
02 Dec 2018
sonicbyte wrote:
02 Dec 2018
The fix is done and being tested, we hope to have it out this week. Sorry for the hassle!

GRB

03 Dec 2018

Thanks!

Best way to start the week, now The Legend will be properly tweaked! :)
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

Fraxis

03 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Dec 2018
Bod wrote:
02 Dec 2018

The fix is done and being tested, we hope to have it out this week. Sorry for the hassle!

Have you also now fixed the bug that means you can no longer set up the extra MIDI port on Nectar Panorama keyboards without crashing Reason please? I was told it would be fixed in 10.2.1 but it wasn't and I'm getting no reply to my follow-up emails to your tech support. Thanks.

scratchnsnifff

04 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Dec 2018
Bod wrote:
02 Dec 2018

So this is going to be quite the awesome week:) thanks for giving us something to look forward to!

I appreciate all the updates and groundwork that you guys do, I wonder if vps avenger will work any better. I think that specific synth has a specific issue though. Either way, does the update let users get more instances of sayyyyy, serum?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

05 Dec 2018

Reason 10.2.2 is zooming through the intertubes as I write this. It solves the graphic issue on Windows. You can now safely update again within a few minutes! Sorry for the hassle.

antic604

05 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
05 Dec 2018
Reason 10.2.2 is zooming through the intertubes as I write this. It solves the graphic issue on Windows. You can now safely update again within a few minutes! Sorry for the hassle.
Careful there! My heart skipped a bit, because "graphical issue on Windows" for me = low-res / blocky graphics on high-DPI screens ;)

But on a serious note - thanks for quick reaction! :thumbs_up:

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

05 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Dec 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
05 Dec 2018
Careful there! My heart skipped a bit, because "graphical issue on Windows" for me = low-res / blocky graphics on high-DPI screens ;)

But on a serious note - thanks for quick reaction! :thumbs_up:
You're turning into my arch-nemesis, good sir.

antic604

05 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
05 Dec 2018
Oh, quite the contrary - I have nothing but utmost respect for what you (& team) are doing and wish you all the success!

So if anything, I'd prefer a term "stalker" :D

EnochLight

05 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Dec 2018
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

05 Dec 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
05 Dec 2018
Available for me already!

scratchnsnifff

05 Dec 2018

Ahhh ok I’m slow, I had s brain warble and thought that the mentioned fix was for the vst support lol

Is there any guess as to when that is coming out?

scratchnsnifff

05 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Dec 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
05 Dec 2018
Oh, quite the contrary - I have nothing but utmost respect for what you (& team) are doing and wish you all the success!

I just died a little haha
I also would love to see the implementation of a snazzy looking rack
As kind as it’s OnLy on MacBooks :twisted: :ugeek: :redface:

Popey
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2018

Hi does anyone know if 10.2.2 contains vst performance improvements or if it is just to fix the 10.2.1 issue with graphics on legend etc. I am aware that 10.2.1 fixed bug fixes and was not the vst performance update.

• Information