Is there a way to make realistic double or triple drum strokes?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Mistro17

28 Nov 2018

I would like to get close to making double and triple strokes with snare and tom drums to sound like the sticks are bouncing. Is this possible to do or must I search for samples?

joeyluck

29 Nov 2018

Hard to beat samples, but you can get pretty convincing results for this and drum flams using players like Note Echo or Drum Sequencer.

If you want to play from a MIDI keyboard or the sequencer, you can use Note Echo. Set the Pitch to 0. You can turn the Repeats to one or a few, keep the Step Length low (turn off tempo sync for more natural control), and adjust the Velocity to ascend or descend (descending is likely what you want). You'll get the best results using a kit/snare that has a good amount of velocity layers.

Drum Sequencer has the Repeat function, but plays all at the same velocity and is something you program for playback. But still sounds great in a mix.

Aside from that, you can use the same tricks in the Sequencer. Hopefully that helps?

Mistro17

29 Nov 2018

joeyluck wrote:
29 Nov 2018
Hard to beat samples, but you can get pretty convincing results for this and drum flams using players like Note Echo or Drum Sequencer.

If you want to play from a MIDI keyboard or the sequencer, you can use Note Echo. Set the Pitch to 0. You can turn the Repeats to one or a few, keep the Step Length low (turn off tempo sync for more natural control), and adjust the Velocity to ascend or descend (descending is likely what you want). You'll get the best results using a kit/snare that has a good amount of velocity layers.

Drum Sequencer has the Repeat function, but plays all at the same velocity and is something you program for playback. But still sounds great in a mix.

Aside from that, you can use the same tricks in the Sequencer. Hopefully that helps?
Thanks! I will give those a try. One more question. Would you recommend any drum kits that have raw unmodified authentic sounds. Like just raw drumsets without effects attached to them. I'm seeing so many samples but so many have effects already. I'm basically going for realism and like to use "vanilla" at the base and add effects later.

motuscott

29 Nov 2018

Hee hee, actual drummer here.
Never hire a machine to do a man's job.
Back up job is stage coach driver...
wish me luck!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Mistro17

29 Nov 2018

motuscott wrote:
29 Nov 2018
Hee hee, actual drummer here.
Never hire a machine to do a man's job.
Back up job is stage coach driver...
wish me luck!
That's why I carefully made sure to use the words "get close to" :puf_bigsmile:

motuscott

29 Nov 2018

I hear ya.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

NekujaK

30 Nov 2018

Mistro17 wrote:
29 Nov 2018
Would you recommend any drum kits that have raw unmodified authentic sounds. Like just raw drumsets without effects attached to them. I'm seeing so many samples but so many have effects already. I'm basically going for realism and like to use "vanilla" at the base and add effects later.
Here are a couple of ideas...

Check out EZdrummer from Toontrack. You can't access the samples directly (meaning you can't drag WAV files onto Reason's timeline), but you can play kits via MIDI in the EZdrummer VST.

Also check out The Loop Loft. Most of their loop packs (all of which are acoustic drums) usually come with one-shot samples of the recorded drum kits.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

• Information