Dell XPS- performance issues?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
oshkosh181

28 Nov 2018

I scored a good deal on a Dell XPS (9570) laptop over the weekend. Based on my research, many articles ranked this laptop as one of this year’s top 10 for music production.

As I await to receive the laptop, I found on some forums (not Reason specific) that users working with audio/DAWs on this laptop had experienced surprisingly poor latency issues, without a fix. Now I am questioning my purchase.

Since I plan to primarily use the laptop for music creation with Reason, I was wondering if anyone using this laptop has experienced similar poor performance issues with Reason and the Dell XPS

Thanks

pushedbutton

28 Nov 2018

I have a 2012 XPS, probably a very different beast.
The i7 processor generally did well for the time.
You didn't mention what audio interface you're using, if it's none that's probably your problem.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

oshkosh181

28 Nov 2018

I’m using ol’ Balance on my Windows 7. I have no idea if it will play nice with a 2018 windows 10. I suspect I may have to change interfaces with the new Dell

splangie

28 Nov 2018

That is a very fast processor (i9-8950H I assume?) and everythig else in the unit is top end as far as I can tell. If should run great as long as you get it setup correctly.

The thing is most likely going to come with a bunch a crap and completely misconfigured. You will have to do all the performance updates, kill everything, notifications, backgroud shiite, everything so that the only thing that loads at startup is Windows Defender and BitDefender for instance and it should work great. Make sure you set the indexing up to run after hours and get the updates and everything else done first if you can. The indexing can cause performance issues especially on new machines if you load a bunch of data. Windows will try catalog and index it all first thing unless you tell it not to.

oshkosh181

28 Nov 2018

I ordered an i7 (8th gen) 6 core config. I couldn’t justify the price difference for an i9. We know how i7 performs. I added the 32gb ram and 1tb SSD. I thought it was a good balance all around- specs and price wise.

Thanks for tips on the configuring our of the box, I expected I’d have to do some bloatware removal in any event.

splangie

28 Nov 2018

Did you get the i7-8750H? It has a single thread rating of 2361. That is very good and the XPS should do well.

oshkosh181

28 Nov 2018

Yes that’s the one. I was just mainly concerned with the XPS latency issues and if anyone had that experience with Reason

splangie

28 Nov 2018

The stuff on that page would make me get something else. I am not sure if any of the latency issues were resolved for any of those folks, but I did not read all of the posts. The processor is fine, but the laptop itself appears to have some issues. I always build my workstations so I never really have any issues, except maybe CPU cooler fan clearance. If they had modular DIY laptops I would certainly build one. That does not look good for that XPS as a DAW. I wonder how well it performs doing other stuff? We have been using various XPS laptops for years at work and they work very well. I can't stand Dell desktops though.

splangie

29 Nov 2018

The more I read about latency issues with that XPS that more I am thinking it may be method and not machine. If you really like it I would get it and test it as long as you can take it back to customer service and return it if there are any problems.

oshkosh181

29 Nov 2018

Since I’ve already ordered it over the weekend (great pricing) and it’s too late to cancel the order, yes I have no choice but to get my hands on it and try to really gauge if this will be a potential issue. There is an extended return period for the holidays.

Reading the forums it seems like the Dell VP has been updating angry people via twitter that they are working on a fix, as this appears to be a widespread issue for the entire XPS line (latency and crackling audio). It appears from the comments it happens regardless of using an external interface. Such a shame for an otherwise expensive and “sexy” laptop. I’ll be sad if I have to return it, but I’m not going to put up with non-optimal performance for the money invested.

sublunar

29 Nov 2018

I use a 6 year old Dell laptop* with Reason using on-board audio and I have zero issues**...

*a modest enterprise laptop, not a performance/gaming one.

**laptop is my portable rig for use while editing on lunch breaks, serious work/recording is done on my desktop via an audio interface.

So practically ANY brand new laptop should fucking dominate. Performance mostly depends how you use Reason and how you configure the laptop.

splangie

01 Dec 2018

oshkosh181 wrote:
29 Nov 2018
Since I’ve already ordered it over the weekend (great pricing) and it’s too late to cancel the order, yes I have no choice but to get my hands on it and try to really gauge if this will be a potential issue. There is an extended return period for the holidays.

Reading the forums it seems like the Dell VP has been updating angry people via twitter that they are working on a fix, as this appears to be a widespread issue for the entire XPS line (latency and crackling audio). It appears from the comments it happens regardless of using an external interface. Such a shame for an otherwise expensive and “sexy” laptop. I’ll be sad if I have to return it, but I’m not going to put up with non-optimal performance for the money invested.
For sure. Let us know how it does.

• Information