Messed up vst pictures in browser!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

24 Nov 2018

Look to the left... since today a lot of my vst pics now show up like this in the browser. Some times for knobs it shows a pick for every position, i.e rotating 270 degrees! That's a lot of pics and none of them useful.

I've checked the pictures in the appdata folder and they're fine. They also show up fine in the Combinator view.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to redo all the pics.
Messed Up Vst Pics.jpg
Messed Up Vst Pics.jpg (269.16 KiB) Viewed 3502 times

retreed
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

You can find thumbnails the thumbnails somewhere here:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason
(maybe roaming instead of local)

I just tried to delete one of the VSTs thumbnails for a test and it worked, it was not displayed anymore.

(Just in case you have folders hidden and cannot see AppData: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... dden-files)

Zac

24 Nov 2018

With respect i know these things.

I have checked the source folders.

The images are as they should be and work in the combi view.

It's like when i stretched the browser view to include my new fav starred folder and it's gone schitz somehow?

Koshdukai

27 Nov 2018

There's an issue with the displaying of VST thumbnails.
I'm also getting that on 2 VST brands but only when working on a big song.
If I start an empty new one, that's "fixed".

PH is aware of this already and they are working on a fix.

EnochLight

27 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2018
Look to the left... since today a lot of my vst pics now show up like this in the browser. Some times for knobs it shows a pick for every position, i.e rotating 270 degrees! That's a lot of pics and none of them useful.

I've checked the pictures in the appdata folder and they're fine. They also show up fine in the Combinator view.

If you're on Windows, just uninstall that version and switch back to the previous until they fix it:

viewtopic.php?p=420873#p420873
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

27 Nov 2018

Koshdukai wrote:
27 Nov 2018
There's an issue with the displaying of VST thumbnails.
I'm also getting that on 2 VST brands but only when working on a big song.
If I start an empty new one, that's "fixed".

PH is aware of this already and they are working on a fix.
Thanks! I thought i was the only one. Should have known the Props would be onto it.

Zac

27 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2018

If you're on Windows, just uninstall that version and switch back to the previous until they fix it:

viewtopic.php?p=420873#p420873
Thanks. This is an issue in 10.2d93 as well unfortunately but a fix is on the way it seems :)

EnochLight

27 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Thanks. This is an issue in 10.2d93 as well unfortunately but a fix is on the way it seems :)
Weird. Thumbnails work perfectly fine for me on 10.2d93 and Windows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

28 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
27 Nov 2018
Weird. Thumbnails work perfectly fine for me on 10.2d93 and Windows. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lucky you :thumbs_up:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Messed Up Vst Pics.jpg
It's interesting (and lovely! ;) ) you have the HS in your rack, and you're posting about browser images.

Well, here's how the HS2 looks in the browser, compared to the version 1 below.
hsbrowser.PNG
hsbrowser.PNG (69.42 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
It's simply unreleasable looking unprofessional like that, and it's now around 20 months since other devs first raised the issue, still no solution. I've brought it up myself twice this year. You'll notice that Chris Griffin's saw synth has the same problem with its browser snapshot; I was disheartened to see he was happy to release it in that state, that just encourages PH not to care about the appearance of REs, when some devs don't care about the appearance of their own. :(

Zac

28 Nov 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Messed Up Vst Pics.jpg
It's interesting (and lovely! ;) ) you have the HS in your rack, and you're posting about browser images.

hsbrowser.PNG

It's simply unreleasable looking unprofessional like that, and it's now around 20 months since other devs first raised the issue, still no solution. I've brought it up myself twice this year. You'll notice that Chris Griffin's saw synth has the same problem with its browser snapshot; I was disheartened to see he was happy to release it in that state, that just encourages PH not to care about the appearance of REs, when some devs don't care about the appearance of their own. :(
Oh that's not good. In fact it's awful. The messed up pics in my browser are so bad it's pretty much unusable. From what koshduckai said above I was hoping to get a quick fix... but if the Props haven’t done anything in 20 months! ... ermm I don't know what to do now...

Zac

28 Nov 2018

Messedvsts2.jpg
Messedvsts2.jpg (345.8 KiB) Viewed 3230 times
Surely Propellerhead has to do something about this now? You can imagine how far I'm having to scroll in the browser to get past these knobs when you notice how little the knob has turned (the white pointer blob) in that browser window... it has pictures for about 270 degrees of travel! And this just one vst. It's not always knob repeats, sometimes it's displays too.

It's a nightmare.

EnochLight

28 Nov 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Nov 2018

hsbrowser.PNG

D'oh!! That sucks, man. It's been like that for almost 2 years??!! :o :shock: :?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

28 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Surely Propellerhead has to do something about this now? You can imagine how far I'm having to scroll in the browser to get past these knobs when you notice how little the knob has turned (the white pointer blob) in that browser window... it has pictures for about 270 degrees of travel! And this just one vst. It's not always knob repeats, sometimes it's displays too.

It's a nightmare.
We're working on it, but we don't want to release an untested fix and risk regression. Very sorry about this issue and the delay in fixing it! :oops:

It's possible to roll back to 10.2.0 and, if this is the issue I think it is, it should look fine on 10.2.0. Here's a download link if you need it: http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason10/Reason_1020.zip

chimp_spanner

28 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Messedvsts2.jpg

It's a nightmare.
Dayum that's weird. Also the size of your rack is giving me anxiety. For the love of all that's good and holy use columns :lol:

Is this just on 10.2.1? If so yeah, definitely get that uninstalled (it won't wipe any preferences or sound locations or anything like that) and download 10.2 from the link provided by Mattias. Just rolled back myself and everything is as it should be! Bizarre about your thumbnail JP. It looks fine here? Or am I missing something?

EnochLight

28 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Also the size of your rack is giving me anxiety. For the love of all that's good and holy use columns :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Messed Up Vst Pics.jpg

hsbrowser.PNG

For what it's worth, the top one looks much better.. Take it and run.

Zac

28 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018

It's a nightmare.
We're working on it, but we don't want to release an untested fix and risk regression. Very sorry about this issue and the delay in fixing it! :oops:

It's possible to roll back to 10.2.0 and, if this is the issue I think it is, it should look fine on 10.2.0. Here's a download link if you need it: http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason10/Reason_1020.zip
Thanks. Good to hear. This browser picture issue happened in 10.2d93 too. Not just the latest 10.2.1.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

28 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018

Thanks. Good to hear. This browser picture issue happened in 10.2d93 too. Not just the latest 10.2.1.
Oh, then this is a bug we've not received reports on yet that I'm aware of. I'm referring to the graphical issues in 10.2.1 for example in UIs that also could affect this, but this sounds like something else now. Do you mind sending this information to our support, including information that this also happened in 10.2.0?

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018

Oh, then this is a bug we've not received reports on yet that I'm aware of. I'm referring to the graphical issues in 10.2.1 for example in UIs that also could affect this, but this sounds like something else now. Do you mind sending this information to our support, including information that this also happened in 10.2.0?
That browser bug has been happening ever since 9.5 came out

Zac

28 Nov 2018

aeox wrote:
28 Nov 2018
MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018

It's only just started happening to me in 10.2. But if it's been happening since 9.5 it's inexplicable to me how this hasn't been fixed yet.

I don't know if anyone apart from JP has really looked at the pics i posted above but it's making the browser unusable for me.

Do i really need to send a report to support... surely it's well documented by now if it's been known since 9.5.

Honestly, I'm pretty shocked by this. Why hasn't it been resolved?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

28 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018
aeox wrote:
28 Nov 2018

It's only just started happening to me in 10.2. But if it's been happening since 9.5 it's inexplicable to me how this hasn't been fixed yet.

I don't know if anyone apart from JP has really looked at the pics i posted above but it's making the browser unusable for me.

Do i really need to send a report to support... surely it's well documented by now if it's been known since 9.5.

I looked at it and I did indeed find an older report, but it's far from well documented as we haven't received more than a small handful of reports and we've had troubles reproducing. The short answer is that it seems to happen very sporadically for very few users on specific systems with specific VSTs, so it's hard to pin down. Have you tried re-installing the VST that shows up like this? Does that help at all?

The reason I suggested a support e-mail is that you can go through some basic troubleshooting and help us get more info on the problem, because I'm afraid it's not as easy as a plugin always doing this on all Windows machines for example. Sorry if it came off the wrong way!

Zac

28 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018
Zac wrote:
28 Nov 2018

I looked at it and I did indeed find an older report, but it's far from well documented as we haven't received more than a small handful of reports and we've had troubles reproducing. The short answer is that it seems to happen very sporadically for very few users on specific systems with specific VSTs, so it's hard to pin down. Have you tried re-installing the VST that shows up like this? Does that help at all?

The reason I suggested a support e-mail is that you can go through some basic troubleshooting and help us get more info on the problem, because I'm afraid it's not as easy as a plugin always doing this on all Windows machines for example. Sorry if it came off the wrong way!
That makes perfect sense. Sorry if i was impertinent. I will report what i can but the image errors are so extensive it is going to take a while. I'll make sure to point out this was happening before 10.2.1. Thanks.

Koshdukai

28 Nov 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
28 Nov 2018

hsbrowser.PNG

Ouch :/

Seen that also on Luna, besides SAW. "Fortunately" on those with a dark panel and dark'ish controls, it kinda goes unnoticed to many users unless staring closely at those thumbnails.

HS/HS2 silver'ish/light panel is hard to go unnoticed, if all the widgets aren't in the thumbnail :(

Koshdukai

28 Nov 2018

MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018
this sounds like something else now. Do you mind sending this information to our support, including information that this also happened in 10.2.0?
MattiasHG wrote:
28 Nov 2018
it's far from well documented as we haven't received more than a small handful of reports and we've had troubles reproducing. The short answer is that it seems to happen very sporadically for very few users on specific systems with specific VSTs, so it's hard to pin down. Have you tried re-installing the VST that shows up like this? Does that help at all?
Just to clarify, this VST thumbnail issue is dynamic (and hard to reproduce, at least in my case).

The thumbnail picture files themselves are ok and those same thumbnails even show up fine again on an empty song file or the next Reason session.

I've seen it only when starting to fill the rack up with (a large amount of) devices, then starts to happen.

• Information