Going stock

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

19 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
19 Oct 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
19 Oct 2018
I guess it also comes down to promoting it, right? I can see that when you're not doing anything, nothing new uploading and not promoting it, nothing happens.

And talking about promoting it, how is Audiojungle promoting it?
Yes, but is hard, at least for me... Not everybody are good for self-promotion.. :)

I use twitter, youtube and Instagram... but without any noticeable impact...

BUT one thing you get when you are on this enough time is that people may contact you thru AudioJungle to do custom works. I have done some music for a indie documentary director, a dubstep custom production and jobs like that... That is a good thing you get, some exposure for people "in the bussiness"...
Sounds good. Makes total sense to me.

Zac

19 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
19 Oct 2018
Hi guys, too long to cover, but I'll do my best:

- I publish my songs on AJ for almost 9 years now, however I stopped uploading music a couple of years in that period, and that's the key... If you stop uploading you probably will be "forgotten". My sales dropped a lot if I'm not constantly uploading new and good music.
- The most important lesson I've learned is that stock music is not a race is a marathon. If you think you just upload one or two tracks once in a while and you will succeed is a big mistake.
- Again, you must upload consistently in order to get sales often and to avoid be "burried" in the thousands of songs upload to AudioJungle each day.
- Of course the songs must be good enough too. The approval process has becoming more difficult each year, the bar is higher for certain categories more than others, etc
- I upload songs in many categories from "Tango", "Cinematic", "Pop" to "Dubstep" and all in between... Some authors focus on one category like "Corporate" or "Cinematic"...
- Best selling authors can make A LOT of money with this
- In AudioJungle you have two types of accounts (Exclusive and Non-Exlusive) each with its own benefits and drawbacks.
- I use AdRev to gain money form pirated versions of my music in YouTube (It was surprisingly an effective way of income), but as everything, it has some drawbacks, for instance you can't use AdRev protected tracks in Pond5 and others marketplaces. So it depends with your objectives.

Let me know if have any other questions or I forgot to answer something else

Regards
Thanks for that. I've been looking at your profile and listening to some of your popular stuff. You obviously do well there and that's very encouraging.

For me getting a good looking profile will be hard work as i have no experience in design. Even getting a decent 80x80 pixel avatar is proving a challenge! Getting decent photos and graphics will be a challenge too... maybe it's worth investing in paying for some to ensure against copyright issues?

I have one reworked song ready to go once i get my profile done. Fingers crossed it gets approved.

Thanks for the tips.

sonicbyte

19 Oct 2018

You don't have to pay for photos, there's tons of sites that give you high quality pictures like pexels.com

Zac

19 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
19 Oct 2018
You don't have to pay for photos, there's tons of sites that give you high quality pictures like pexels.com
Great. Thanks.

Noplan
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
19 Oct 2018
Oh the irony.

Zac

24 Oct 2018

I've successfully joined Audiojungle and submitted my 1st song. The admittance queue is 18 days right now. I got my id rebuffed from pond5 but resubmitted today and should be good to go in less than a week.

So. I'll share my experience here.

I could really do with some fellowship on this though. I can only monitor on 2 pairs of headphones, no monitor speakers right now.

I've reworked another 3 songs today and thought i might upload the 4 in total to a dropbox folder so people can see what I'm going for and i can get some feedback from people with good monitoring environments if my files have obvious flaws that might get them rejected...

I don't know where anyone else is in the process but if i can share what i know as i get through, i will.

My main concern now is to match my 1st song as well as i can in terms of dynamics and EQ. I want my 1st 4 uploads to form a solid base that suits those songs and can be built on.

Zac

30 Oct 2018

^^This was too much to ask (I'm not exactly popular here as i spout a load of crap when drunk sometimes).

But I'm really struggling to decide which of audiojungle and pond5 to concentrate my efforts on. I've watched and read all i can on the pros and cons of each but it seems some of the older info is out of date now as both sites have progressed.

For any none synth based stuff (i.e guitar stuff) I'll use pond5 as it's better suited i think. But most of my stuff is synth based and I can't upload to both as i need to invoke audiojungle's exclusivity deal to make any money there as I'm not a registered company in the UK and will lose 30% to US tax before audiojungle takes their cut. But i like audiojungle because it seems you can build a profile easier there. Pond5 seems less contributer and more track focussed. But I'd make more money per sale.

I'd rather not split between the two as it pays to have a decent size collection.

Decisions, decisions...

Any advice?

I haven't even had my 1st submission accepted yet so it may all be moot but i think my music suits 'stock' :/

sonicbyte

30 Oct 2018

Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2018
^^This was too much to ask (I'm not exactly popular here as i spout a load of crap when drunk sometimes).

But I'm really struggling to decide which of audiojungle and pond5 to concentrate my efforts on. I've watched and read all i can on the pros and cons of each but it seems some of the older info is out of date now as both sites have progressed.

For any none synth based stuff (i.e guitar stuff) I'll use pond5 as it's better suited i think. But most of my stuff is synth based and I can't upload to both as i need to invoke audiojungle's exclusivity deal to make any money there as I'm not a registered company in the UK and will lose 30% to US tax before audiojungle takes their cut. But i like audiojungle because it seems you can build a profile easier there. Pond5 seems less contributer and more track focussed. But I'd make more money per sale.

I'd rather not split between the two as it pays to have a decent size collection.

Decisions, decisions...

Any advice?

I haven't even had my 1st submission accepted yet so it may all be moot but i think my music suits 'stock' :/
Hi Zac,

Probably I will go non-exclusive If I could started this again (I know I could switch my account at any time etc), but the thing is if you are not exclusive you could share all songs with all accounts you have on stock sites, so it's true you will get less money but I think in the end, and if you're consistent uploading content, you will gain more... but that's just my opinion...
I recommend this youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJoet ... LKg/videos

This guy talks about this specific issues, and why he choose one thing or another, all the up and downs of this, etc, etc... I think is useful for you or anyone starting with this.

Hope it helps
Regards

Zac

30 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
30 Oct 2018
Zac wrote:
30 Oct 2018

Decisions, decisions...

Any advice?

Hi Zac,

Probably I will go non-exclusive If I could started this again (I know I could switch my account at any time etc), but the thing is if you are not exclusive you could share all songs with all accounts you have on stock sites, so it's true you will get less money but I think in the end, and if you're consistent uploading content, you will gain more... but that's just my opinion...
I recommend this youtube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJoet ... LKg/videos

This guy talks about this specific issues, and why he choose one thing or another, all the up and downs of this, etc, etc... I think is useful for you or anyone starting with this.

Hope it helps
Regards
Your advice and looking at the titles on that channel should help me solve this. Thanks.

Zac

30 Oct 2018

Thanks sonicbyte, I've just learned more in the ladt hour watching his videos than i have over the last 2 to 3 weeks.

Looks like even i will need to tone my music down in terms of arrangement change and other dynamics if i want to hit that corporate market. Very interesting. It's going to claw at the ego a bit but this is the 1st outlet where i think me and my music may have a chance. I have some hope.

Edit: just changed my audiojungle account to non exclusive. Feels better already. I've only reworked 5 songs ready to go so far (i have a lot i think i can get there given the tools i have now) but tomorrow i can upload them all to AJ and pond5. And whoever else i find. Fishing for mackerel not carp ;) <Smiley face>

Zac

03 Nov 2018

I've submitted my 1st five tracks to pond5 and audiojungle now. All the descriptions and tags and other stuff I'm happy with but....

I'm crapping myself a bit that i may have mastered them too hard... way too hard. I tried listening to other tracks there but all i have is headphones. And no physical copy of any track.

I used ozone 8 for mastering and a cd mastering preset as i don't know what I'm doing wrt mastering. Thing is I've tried some metering after ozone 8 on the songs ive submitted because I'd like to work to a universal level (which i tried to do by adjusting the maximiser threshold) and the LUFS readings scare me. Should i have used a streaming preset?

If my tracks get accepted i guess i won't worry too much but I'd like to work towards an acceptable average.

KarmaFunkarma

03 Nov 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
17 Oct 2018
If anyone needs some tips to start with AudioJungle or stock in general, I can help :)

Regards
One quick question please. You mention in other posts that consistently uploading new material is key. How frequently should this be in your opinion?

Thanks much for any insight.

sonicbyte

03 Nov 2018

KarmaFunkarma wrote:
03 Nov 2018
sonicbyte wrote:
17 Oct 2018
If anyone needs some tips to start with AudioJungle or stock in general, I can help :)

Regards
One quick question please. You mention in other posts that consistently uploading new material is key. How frequently should this be in your opinion?

Thanks much for any insight.
Well some people manage to upload 5 or 6 tracks per week, is not my case sadly... If songs are good you should aim to upload as much quantity as possible. Once you get noticed and if sales are good enough, buyers will be looking your new stuff... Then you could upload less often and still get good sales... I barely manage to upload 3 or 4 songs a month (due my main job) so my sales aren't great to say the least.
But this is only true in general, some people have luck and just upload one hit and gets tons of sales and attention...

Regards

BRIGGS

05 Nov 2018

50% cut + 'national thievery' aka taxes? Which could (depending on where you live) equal a total of an 80% cut? No thanks. Maybe 5%.....Maybe.

Let me know when something opens up, that doesn't require getting robbed.
Last edited by BRIGGS on 06 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
r11s

Zac

05 Nov 2018

BRIGGS wrote:
05 Nov 2018
50% cut + 'national thievery' aka taxes? Which could (depending on where you ive) equal a total of an 80% cut? No thanks. Maybe 5%.....Maybe.

I get what you're saying, but for me my music is presently earning me zero. I will maybe only be getting 20%** (i don't know yet) but i can set my own price. Also some tracks sell thousands of licences. I'm sure that takes a lot of effort and talent and my songs might not even get accepted yet, let alone sell... but it gives me something to aim for... a reason to improve.

**Actually the worst case scenario would be 35%... 50% (website cut) + 30% (tax) = 65%

BRIGGS

05 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
05 Nov 2018
BRIGGS wrote:
05 Nov 2018
50% cut + 'national thievery' aka taxes? Which could (depending on where you ive) equal a total of an 80% cut? No thanks. Maybe 5%.....Maybe.

I get what you're saying, but for me my music is presently earning me zero. I will maybe only be getting 20%** (i don't know yet) but i can set my own price. Also some tracks sell thousands of licences. I'm sure that takes a lot of effort and talent and my songs might not even get accepted yet, let alone sell... but it gives me something to aim for... a reason to improve.

**Actually the worst case scenario would be 35%... 50% (website cut) + 30% (tax) = 65%
It's a rip off, full stop.
r11s

Marco Raaphorst

09 Nov 2018

I submitted a track to AudioJungle this monday, still not heard from them.

Seems to be an extremely slow service. Maybe I should sell the Stock on my own shop. Making more profit also.

sonicbyte

09 Nov 2018

Review times in all Stock stores are very slow, in AJ and Pond5 are between 10 and 15 days...

Marco Raaphorst

09 Nov 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Review times in all Stock stores are very slow, in AJ and Pond5 are between 10 and 15 days...
thanks!

Zac

09 Nov 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Nov 2018
sonicbyte wrote:
09 Nov 2018
thanks!
You can see review times here:
http://quality.market.envato.com/audiojungle

Marco Raaphorst

09 Nov 2018

Zac wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
09 Nov 2018

thanks!
You can see review times here:
http://quality.market.envato.com/audiojungle
thanks!

Pingafuego

10 Nov 2018

Are you using Reason for stock music creation?

Any VST instruments, or Reason sounds can do the trick?

Thanks

Marco Raaphorst

10 Nov 2018

Pingafuego wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Thanks
I am using Reason. Any sound might work.

Pingafuego

10 Nov 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
10 Nov 2018
Pingafuego wrote:
10 Nov 2018

Thanks
I am using Reason. Any sound might work.
Thanks!

Arrant
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2018

I'd be interested to hear how things are going for you guys who are just starting to get involved with stock music?

• Information