KRON CV Toolbox version 1.2 in the shop (new features and on sale)!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
starship
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

On sale for a week, and it's a free upgrade.
https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-extension/kron/

There's a full feature list on the shop page but basically it adds some SDK 2.5 features:

submenus for combined mod displays with thor-like amount "knobs" and menus to clear mods,
random generation custom waveform tools,
modifier keys for the custom waveforms,
sample and hold sources,
more grid sources,
curve shape menus and other front panel sources have submenus too,
some GUI tweaks and other stuff,
and a bunch of combi patches from remo101 (Reason 10 instrument combis!).

GDI Objects in Windows:
Also if you ever run into an issue in Windows where you have a ton of devices in the rack. loading or creating, and get a "device view: unable to load" error dialog box, it's a "GDI objects" issue.

Here's an easy fix:
https://weblogs.asp.net/mikedopp/increa ... dle-limits

I learned this the hard way trying to turn too many of my indy menus into new displays, so I had to revert some of my planned changes. This version should be OK for you, but if you are seriously pushing the limits with a crap ton of KRONs (and/or other REs with lots of displays), this fix will help. I'm not sure if there's a similar issue on Macs or not yet.

Cheers!

Loque

05 Nov 2018

Hooray! Finally!
Reason12, Win10

antic604

05 Nov 2018

This RE has me terrified :o

starship
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

lol :)

MannequinRaces

05 Nov 2018

Very nice. Great sale price too.

remo101

05 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
There's no need to be afraid! I've been using this RE a lot for a long time now and I still don't know everything it can do, but that hasn't stopped me getting a lot out of the device. Seriously this is a device that just keeps on giving: the more time you put into it the more it gives back....

... well worth getting it while it's on special offer if you haven't already.

antic604

05 Nov 2018

remo101 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
antic604 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
There's no need to be afraid! I've been using this RE a lot for a long time now and I still don't know everything it can do, but that hasn't stopped me getting a lot out of the device. Seriously this is a device that just keeps on giving: the more time you put into it the more it gives back....

... well worth getting it while it's on special offer if you haven't already.
Yeah, I can imagine it's incredibly useful for generative / random music in particular, but that's not exactly my jam - I like my music sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled). At EUR19 I'd probably get it without thinking, but at EUR59 it's something I can live without having Synchronous, Shape, PSQ, ZFO2 + few others.

Crumbfort

05 Nov 2018

Noice! Gonna have to pick this up soon for sure.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

starship
RE Developer

05 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Yeah, I can imagine it's incredibly useful for generative / random music in particular, but that's not exactly my jam - I like my music sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled). At EUR19 I'd probably get it without thinking, but at EUR59 it's something I can live without having Synchronous, Shape, PSQ, ZFO2 + few others.
If you want chaotic and repeatable, the KRON has multiple ways of doing that. And price-wise, it's IMO a deal at this price for what it can do and the sheer amount of time that went into it. :) It's also only 49 euros, not 59.

E.g. with random waves, you can use the random seed option (256 seeds). This keeps random waves repeatable, even with tempo changes, dropping the cursor in random spots in the song, etc. It's not just 256 sets of numbers, it's dependent on the frequency of the LFOs, etc.

I like to do a lot of freq modding, using feedbacking mods to make it real chaotic. When I do this, I wire up the LFOs to be triggered by a single gate channel that a Matrix is plugged into. So this makes serious freq modding, free or sync, repeatable. I either set it up to periodically retrigger, like every 16 bars or so, with a little smoothing, or with a fully held note so it will line up at the start of the song and not retrigger elsewhere.

And the new random custom waveform tools mean you can easily make a... random waveform :) that just loops, is curved, etc., but repeats its random config.

No pressure, but "sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled)" was one of the main goals with this device, and it delivers. :) :)

Ahornberg

06 Nov 2018

starship wrote:
05 Nov 2018
"sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled)"
an important thing to avoid recording audio from a synth at an early production stage

Loque

06 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
06 Nov 2018
starship wrote:
05 Nov 2018
"sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled)"
an important thing to avoid recording audio from a synth at an early production stage
Not always. Sometimes just a social part produces the sound i want so I sample the everything and extract the part I want.
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Nov 2018

starship wrote:
05 Nov 2018
antic604 wrote:
05 Nov 2018
If you want chaotic and repeatable, the KRON has multiple ways of doing that. And price-wise, it's IMO a deal at this price for what it can do and the sheer amount of time that went into it. :) It's also only 49 euros, not 59.

E.g. with random waves, you can use the random seed option (256 seeds). This keeps random waves repeatable, even with tempo changes, dropping the cursor in random spots in the song, etc. It's not just 256 sets of numbers, it's dependent on the frequency of the LFOs, etc.

I like to do a lot of freq modding, using feedbacking mods to make it real chaotic. When I do this, I wire up the LFOs to be triggered by a single gate channel that a Matrix is plugged into. So this makes serious freq modding, free or sync, repeatable. I either set it up to periodically retrigger, like every 16 bars or so, with a little smoothing, or with a fully held note so it will line up at the start of the song and not retrigger elsewhere.

And the new random custom waveform tools mean you can easily make a... random waveform :) that just loops, is curved, etc., but repeats its random config.

No pressure, but "sounding chaotic, but repeatable (controlled)" was one of the main goals with this device, and it delivers. :) :)
Hmm... That's a lot of compelling arguments. God dammit!!! :lol:

VariableX

06 Nov 2018

I would love this device but in reality trying to understand it, is going to take a very long time, time I could spend making music, heck I'd even need to learn about all the stuff this thing would connect too, and there uses 😳 Then I'd have to try and make music.... this thing will be on my shopping list in maybe two years time 😀

Loque

06 Nov 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
06 Nov 2018
I would love this device but in reality trying to understand it, is going to take a very long time, time I could spend making music, heck I'd even need to learn about all the stuff this thing would connect too, and there uses 😳 Then I'd have to try and make music.... this thing will be on my shopping list in maybe two years time 😀
I agree. This thing is too much for simple tasks, but it can also do simple tasks, but to find the right connections and buttons can take a bit of time. I am pretty sure, if you know it inside out, it will be quite simple. I remember times, where Subtractor was just too much for me and today it is too simple for me :-D
Reason12, Win10

KirkMarkarian

06 Nov 2018

KRON is just amazing for anything modular. It's a heavy utility, but one way to look at it is that it can reduce the amount of LFO utilities that you would normally place with other synths. Kinda like a Grand Central Station of sorts. Taking a look at the backside of those Noise Engineering modules, holy cow, perfect for just such a thing.

starship
RE Developer

06 Nov 2018

antic604 wrote:
06 Nov 2018
Hmm... That's a lot of compelling arguments. God dammit!!! :lol:
Thanks, I tried! :) :)

dvdrtldg

06 Nov 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
06 Nov 2018
It's a bit like PSQ-1684 though, you can get started and do amazing stuff without necessarily mastering every aspect of it. Kron has a learning curve to be sure, but you don't need to be a pro to have fun with it

VariableX

07 Nov 2018

dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Nov 2018

It's a bit like PSQ-1684 though, you can get started and do amazing stuff without necessarily mastering every aspect of it. Kron has a learning curve to be sure, but you don't need to be a pro to have fun with it
I am tempted ;)
Its an expensive hobby this :?
Maybe ill have a demo.
I must admit I am a sucker for any device that can inspire some tunes.

moneykube

09 Nov 2018

I am light years from understanding all this beast does... super intimating but awesome options and like a million inputs, outputs... cv from hell and more... I doubt I understand it in a year after I 'llfigure out all the racks and new features constantly coming... hmmm time runs out... yet there is hope for a sale later when I can understand it all... cool rack though... spent way to much in last number of months on synths and fx... waiting for the big sales before I bite again... too much to learn in a good way... it calls to me still lol
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

starship
RE Developer

09 Nov 2018

moneykube wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I am light years from understanding all this beast does... super intimating but awesome options and like a million inputs, outputs... cv from hell and more... I doubt I understand it in a year after I 'llfigure out all the racks and new features constantly coming... hmmm time runs out... yet there is hope for a sale later when I can understand it all... cool rack though... spent way to much in last number of months on synths and fx... waiting for the big sales before I bite again... too much to learn in a good way... it calls to me still lol
Well, it'll be on sale in the upcoming big sales too. No big rush! :) I got delayed by a few weeks and had to end the sale before the deadline of the upcoming sale, so a week is all I could do. Kinda weak. *shrug* :)

VariableX

09 Nov 2018

missed this, this time...
also missed the noise engineering deal of the week...
and also passed on a couple of new synths latley and the tape deck effect.
All things I would like to have and would if money was no object.
Still I spent my cash on Umpf retro which I am super happy with and with my current level of skills was probably the best thing to spend my money on at this point in time....so what is this big sale we are talking about ? 😀

starship
RE Developer

10 Nov 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
09 Nov 2018
missed this, this time...
also missed the noise engineering deal of the week...
and also passed on a couple of new synths latley and the tape deck effect.
All things I would like to have and would if money was no object.
Still I spent my cash on Umpf retro which I am super happy with and with my current level of skills was probably the best thing to spend my money on at this point in time....so what is this big sale we are talking about ? 😀
:)

oh, I don't want to spoil the surprise, but hint: it happens every year.

starship
RE Developer

26 Nov 2018

Gonna leave it on sale for 45. Sorry I had it at 50 for a week, but I didn't convince myself to drop to 45 till halfway through that. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just trying to make sales. :) Not terribly well organized here, obviously. :)

Loque

26 Nov 2018

starship wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Gonna leave it on sale for 45. Sorry I had it at 50 for a week, but I didn't convince myself to drop to 45 till halfway through that. I'm not trying to gouge anyone, just trying to make sales. :) Not terribly well organized here, obviously. :)
You just need discipline. Hai!
IK+_Animation2.gif
IK+_Animation2.gif (96.43 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Reason12, Win10

starship
RE Developer

26 Nov 2018

:)

• Information