Crossfading Audio In Reason?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
highmarcs

23 Nov 2018

I'm getting ready to mix a project and would like to try doing it in Reason. However, I've always been stopped by the fact that Reason makes crossfading between two clips ridiculously hard with all kinds of steps.

Can someone tell me if they fixed this problem in Reason 10?

Can you just select a bunch of clips and hit "crossfade" in Reasson 10, like you can do in well... every other DAW?

Loque

23 Nov 2018

highmarcs wrote:
23 Nov 2018
I'm getting ready to mix a project and would like to try doing it in Reason. However, I've always been stopped by the fact that Reason makes crossfading between two clips ridiculously hard with all kinds of steps.

Can you just select a bunch of clips and hit "crossfade" in Reasson 10, like you can do in well... every other DAW?
Maybe you should use a different DAW if that supports the features you are lookig for.
Reason12, Win10

esselfortium

23 Nov 2018

Comp edit is probably the most straightforward way of doing this in Reason. Join the audio clips into one (ctrl-J) and enter comp edit mode, then you can add crossfades wherever you want.
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018
highmarcs wrote:
23 Nov 2018

Maybe you should use a different DAW if that supports the features you are lookig for.
Yikes.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

highmarcs

23 Nov 2018

Well, I've owned Reason for years, but I kind of shelved it mostly because it's missing some basic features. I enjoy creating in Reason, but I've always had to do final mixing in Cubase or Studio One.

All I wanted to know was if they had fixed the convoluted crossfade protocol in Reason 10. That's all.

From your snarky response, I suppose the answer is no.

Back on the shelf it goes.

Loque

23 Nov 2018

highmarcs wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Well, I've owned Reason for years, but I kind of shelved it mostly because it's missing some basic features. I enjoy creating in Reason, but I've always had to do final mixing in Cubase or Studio One.

All I wanted to know was if they had fixed the convoluted crossfade protocol in Reason 10. That's all.

From your snarky response, I suppose the answer is no.

Back on the shelf it goes.
WTF is a convoluted crossfade protocoll?

Its just fade one track out the other in. Job done. Sometimes i just cant get the questions ppl ask here, especially with that troll tone.
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

23 Nov 2018

is there not a black friday free plugin that cross fades two audio sources?

O1B

23 Nov 2018

Read what you write. You're the one with the Troll Tone.
Dish it, but can't take it! The Usual Suspects...

To the OP, if you have Pongasoft A/B Switch, it should work swimmingly.
... it's just a lil convoluted.

Free: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... cv-switch/
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018

Its just fade one track out the other in. Job done. Sometimes i just cant get the questions ppl ask here, especially with that troll tone.

madmacman

24 Nov 2018

All suggestions seem to be tedious workarounds.

I can't remember *which* one, but I once had a DAW where I got instant (and visual) crossfades while dragging audio clips over each other in the same row. Well, that's quick and easy!

Skimrok

24 Nov 2018

I can see why some like crossfader slider especially from a DJ background can relate to this method easy rather then drawing lines and curves in edit mode

On another note it would be cool if there was templates for automations so you could try different layout versions by a click of button for speed and various ideas you wouldn’t come up with yourself

just a thought while looking at this thread if It’s never been done in the past?
Last edited by Skimrok on 24 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

esselfortium

24 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

I can't remember *which* one, but I once had a DAW where I got instant (and visual) crossfades while dragging audio clips over each other in the same row. Well, that's quick and easy!
This is pretty close to how it works in comp edit mode. I often forget that it exists, but when I do use it for crossfades it couldn't be much simpler.
Sarah Mancuso

Ahornberg

24 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

In Reaper, Live, Bitwig and most other DAWs crossfade is quick an easy.

The easiest way I know in Reason is this:

madmacman

24 Nov 2018

@esselfortium / ahornberg: Yes, that's the best option for Reason.

Maybe the evaluation of convenience should be based on the question if crossfading is part of editing or arranging audio clips?

selig
RE Developer

24 Nov 2018

esselfortium wrote:
madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

This is pretty close to how it works in comp edit mode. I often forget that it exists, but when I do use it for crossfades it couldn't be much simpler.
Well, except you have to join clips first, then you use your clip boundaries plus you can’t crossfade more than one track at a time and don’t have any crossfade options.

In Pro Tools, for comparison, you can crossfade every clip in the song with two commands: command-A, command-F and every clip is cross faded. I would suggest that is much simpler than in Reason. ;)

Single crossfade are also simpler because you can specify by selecting an area and command F - which means crossfade can be asymmetrical or start/end on the clip boundary (which I use most of the time) again without loosing the clip boundaries.

Also there are crossfade options to choose from, and IIRC Reason has oddly shaped crossfades that can do strange things on longer crossfades.

I’ve always thought it was an odd extra step to have to enter a special mode just to crossfade a track...

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

24 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
24 Nov 2018
esselfortium wrote:
Well, except you have to join clips first, then you use your clip boundaries plus you can’t crossfade more than one track at a time and don’t have any crossfade options.

In Pro Tools, for comparison, you can crossfade every clip in the song with two commands: command-A, command-F and every clip is cross faded. I would suggest that is much simpler than in Reason. ;)

Single crossfade are also simpler because you can specify by selecting an area and command F - which means crossfade can be asymmetrical or start/end on the clip boundary (which I use most of the time) again without loosing the clip boundaries.

Also there are crossfade options to choose from, and IIRC Reason has oddly shaped crossfades that can do strange things on longer crossfades.

I’ve always thought it was an odd extra step to have to enter a special mode just to crossfade a track...

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
That's valid, yeah! Not wanting to suggest there's no room for other more general-purpose methods of doing this, just making sure that the existing one isn't being overlooked.
Sarah Mancuso

Yonatan

24 Nov 2018

Comp edit mode is handy only when it comes to what it is made for, chosing the best takes from recording a couple of versions of a guitar, bass, vocal part. But it was added back in "Record". I so much struggle in the sequencer when having many lanes of audio, like editing audio for radio or video. A good crossfade should be implemented in the main sequencer, not only in comp mode.
Last edited by Yonatan on 24 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

24 Nov 2018

Personally, I've never used crossfade in any of my tracks.

Jolla

24 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Sony vegas had this ability

raveled
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

Sorry for bringing up this Instagram-post again (I’ve already done it in a couple of threads before), but it hints that Propellerhead is working on cross fades (and have been for a while now, considering the post is getting old):

Eski

26 Nov 2018

This RE has worked quite well for me.

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... -dj-mixer/

O1B

26 Nov 2018

Good Call.
Eski wrote:
26 Nov 2018
This RE has worked quite well for me.

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... -dj-mixer/

scratchnsnifff

26 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Couldn’t you just place the clips next to each other and use the fade out and fade in dots on the audio clips?

And if you want better cross fading just move a clip in one of the tracks so it overlaps according to the time in which it’s played. Then adjust the fade amounts accordingly?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Nov 2018
madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Couldn’t you just place the clips next to each other and use the fade out and fade in dots on the audio clips?

And if you want better cross fading just move a clip in one of the tracks so it overlaps according to the time in which it’s played. Then adjust the fade amounts accordingly?
This is exactly what I do.

madmacman

26 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
26 Nov 2018
madmacman wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Sure, there are many ways to get a more or less working option for crossfades. But this solution takes some steps:

1. nude audio clip
2. check crossfade
3. adjust fades accordingly
4. repeat

It's not that it is impossible, but sometimes I'm getting desperate on how basic Reason's tools are in some ways. Especially for sophisticated audio editing (way beyond simple comping, or adjusting vocals) it is simply not the right tool, I have to realize. Maybe I should spend some money on a wave editor.

ejanuska

26 Nov 2018

raveled wrote:
24 Nov 2018
Sorry for bringing up this Instagram-post again (I’ve already done it in a couple of threads before), but it hints that Propellerhead is working on cross fades (and have been for a while now, considering the post is getting old):

It looks like they are working on the sequencer. Notice there are only two clips and one track.
The guy is pointing and saying "Uhhh I think the user should click here and the browser should open in a folder other than the last opened folder."
The other guy is saying "Should we get another hot dog or go back to work? Ha ha ha! Two more dogs!!!"

• Information