Grain request(s)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
scratchnsnifff

22 Sep 2018

I love using grain for adding organic elements, as well as weird elements to my music

Grain is literally as if we finally got malström 2.0

However grain could use a couple of final touches
The biggest feature that grain is missing, is the ability to have multiple grain engines going on at once

For example, the waveform display and grain mode should have a second page, where we could add a second sample and grain mode for that given sample

Also I would find it fun to have the ability to modulate the waveform display rectangle, and have the ability to scroll that little drag-able box from left to right. Giving a better visual representation of where in the waveform you are modulating

A filter drive knob would come in handy, and the only other thing I can think of is to add some other creative grain modes

As far as creative settings that is something the propellerhead team excels at, mixing the ordinary with the creative

(Look at Thor and Europa. Europa for example takes wavetable synthesis and lets you use waveforms as filters, and scrolling through the resonance lets you have a wavetable within a wavetable)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Loque

22 Sep 2018

Agree. Since there were already several threads about feature requests for Grain, i just say: Grain can be improved to be even better!
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

23 Nov 2018

4 things that struck me today using Grain:-

1) You can't auto set the start and end flags so they automatically detect the start and end of the sample.
2) The Grain Length parameter doesn't read in a time measurement.
3) There's no automatically setting / adjusting the sample to the tempo of the track.
4) Reverb Decay doesn't read in a time measurement either.

Also as mentioned already, you can't layer up two samples.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Loque

23 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Just thought the same today...and than Grain crashed...again...and i closed Reason and did something else.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

23 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Creativemind wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Just thought the same today...and than Grain crashed...again...and i closed Reason and did something else.
Really?

Loque

23 Nov 2018

Creativemind wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018

Really?
Yea, i think there is something odd in the movement of the position. I accidently had pushed the octaves 4 times up on my keyboard, hit a key and bam! Maybe it was the LFO moving the position or the Rate of the oscillator, dunno. Not the first time Grain crashed.

And yes, i played around with the Rate of the oscillator. Since it becomes rhythmic on some settings it would be cool to sync it or to have some time info instead of % values.
Reason12, Win10

Creativemind

23 Nov 2018

Also, the GUI on Grain isn't the best. Why have they made it to appeal to a like a teenager. Really don't like the look of it. Now if you look at Padshop Pro, man, looks well nice / cool as f***.

scratchnsnifff

29 Nov 2018

I think I found a bug inside of grain via the mod matrix

Use an envelope and draw a hill or any shape that goes from the bottom to the top (something from min to max values using what ever shape)

Set the destination to the position in the matrix.

Set to 100

You’ll find that the position marker in fact, does not reach a full value

Iv seen it scroll about half the amount of the waveform display. Can someone recreate?

WongoTheSane

29 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018
Iv seen it scroll about half the amount of the waveform display. Can someone recreate?
It only does this if I let "Motion" set to "Envelope 1" (in the display at the top) and set another envelope (say, 3) to Position in the matrix. In this case, both envelopes are added together and the course of the cursor isn't identical to Envelope 3 (indeed, it looks like half the course, which I think is due to the fact that Envelope 1 in the top display is automatically bipolar while Envelope 3 is unipolar by default, but not sure). If I set Motion to FW Loop for instance, only Env 3 acts on the position and its course is the expected one, i.e. 100% of the display. Is it what you're seeing?

scratchnsnifff

30 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
29 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
29 Nov 2018
It only does this if I let "Motion" set to "Envelope 1" (in the display at the top) and set another envelope (say, 3) to Position in the matrix. In this case, both envelopes are added together and the course of the cursor isn't identical to Envelope 3 (indeed, it looks like half the course, which I think is due to the fact that Envelope 1 in the top display is automatically bipolar while Envelope 3 is unipolar by default, but not sure). If I set Motion to FW Loop for instance, only Env 3 acts on the position and its course is the expected one, i.e. 100% of the display. Is it what you're seeing?
Indeed this is what I am seeing.

I never thought about that. I always use envelope 1 via the mod matrix to move the position. I’ll try to use a different one when I get home.

Long live and prosper

Heigen5

22 Dec 2018

My wish would be a timestretch/slice mode, so we could put rythmical loops into it and stay in sync with rest of the song.

plaamook

14 Feb 2019

I've had no real probs with Grain but...
I think the Mod Pitch wheels should have been next to the wave form and everytnhig below ththe wheels/wave form should be COLLAPSEABLE so you can see devices benieth it while you watch the wave for/playhead for performance.
As it is I have to move shit side by side, whch I can do, but it's irritating especially when I've got my rack going horizontal.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

scratchnsnifff

14 Feb 2019

plaamook wrote:
14 Feb 2019
I've had no real probs with Grain but...
I think the Mod Pitch wheels should have been next to the wave form and everytnhig below ththe wheels/wave form should be COLLAPSEABLE so you can see devices benieth it while you watch the wave for/playhead for performance.
As it is I have to move shit side by side, whch I can do, but it's irritating especially when I've got my rack going horizontal.
I know that the feature requests that I posted about having the ability for a second sample and engine could be taken care of by a combinator, but I think that a second grain engine would just make it fit in with other top of the line synths that are out there :D

But as for one of your requests, that would be pretty cool to just have the playhead while everything else was collapsed.

I wonder why they didn’t use that feature from Thor. I would also like to have a collapsible Europa! Except maybe when it is collapsed you could get a few “easy” controls or programmable macro buttons. They would only be able to show up in the collapsed mode though. I don’t see PH making their synths larger

Marco Raaphorst

14 Feb 2019

I can totally understand the Props. You must limit yourself when designing something.

scratchnsnifff

12 Mar 2019

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
14 Feb 2019
I can totally understand the Props. You must limit yourself when designing something.
This is true to an extent. Not every synth needs to be a super synth.

However, in the case of Europa (which appears to take on modern powerhouse synths) it seems like the limit of features should be just a little bit larger than it is currently

Grain doesn’t NEED much, but it would be cool to see a few additional features.

Europa is like 90% there, mainly 3 samples, oscillator FM from the mod matrix, global spectral filter setting. And if they want to get crazy they could use the empty slot by envelope 1 for something like a wavetable creator. Any extra modifiers would be welcome but it’s current state has enough flexibility. I only offer these suggestions because Europa is soooooo close to being as powerful as NI massive ( I think it’s a decent goal/standard that Reason can compete with one of the most popular soft synths of all time)

If those features were added, I think Europa would definitely surpass the sound creating capabilities of most synths, and at the same time it would have the unique modifiers and drawable filters :)

Idk, I love Europa and would love to see it get the final touches it could use. But I’ll use it no matter what until then.

As for grain, I was just thinking. Wouldn’t it be cool to have skins! I can imagine a green look to grain. And it would be able to have grain + malström colors. Paying homage to the first really unique synth in Reason :)

• Information