What features are REALLY necessary for Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

19 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
19 Nov 2018
chimp_spanner wrote: I think the only thing really stopping that from happening is the resolution of CV. Someone - I forget who - mentioned that CV modulation rates are linked to sample rate? Is that right? I might be mis-remembering. Either way, for Reason to be truly modular CV would have to be able to do audio rate modulation across the rack, and given the performance issues some are having I'm not sure that's wise. I don't know if you could get into VCV territory using CV as it currently exists. I could be wrong though!
Plenty of devices, beginning with Pulveriser IIRC, have audio rate control I/O, so this is not at all a limitation.

For CV, at least as I understand it, the limitation is the batch delay between devices which is the equivalent to audio latency in the mixer. If it was possible to introduce latency compensation at the CV level (and I’m not at all sure that it is), this would solve the issue.

Someone more knowledgeable than myself my be able to correct my comments or explain it more clearly.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Ah yeah I mean if course I know audio rare mod is possible, I just meant using the cv format. Yeah if there was a Props brand modular system with 1/4” jacks...I dunno why I keep teasing myself with the thought, It just won’t ever happen...

Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong. :lol:

PeZiK

19 Nov 2018

future-bit wrote:
26 Aug 2018

2. Support for external synthesizers. Midi CC, Bank / Programm / MSB / LSB, Sysex ....
And while we are at it :

Able to create our custom shareable MIDI rack panels with Sliders, Pots, Buttons...etc. to control our hardware remotely - that would be my absolute wet dream. :thumbs_up:

P.

Studio67

19 Nov 2018

For me are the most important:
-More midi out clock sources
-Pusle clock out (headphones or audio channel)
-MPE midi support
-Rewire/Netwire run VST or Rack extensions on second computer (see waves)
-Multi Touch screen support
-VST 2 and 3 support (Side chain)
-HDdpi with zoom (Vector engine support)
-Blocks with clips (Like Ableton)
-Multi file/song sync (For live performance)
-Combinator with 32 selectable functions (buttons knobs)
-Smaller buiding blocks for modular synth building (please keep cables on the rear side)
-Much better VU meters and bigger with settings
-Video support (sync)
-Much more colors for devices and tracks
-Options for notes/text or (emo) icons inside the sequencers (editor)
-New compressor with more options
-Free online reason player (playing files and tweaking the knobs)
-Options settings for songs and global (Like Buffer settings and audio performance)
-Multi midi channels for VST support
-Button knobs and slider rack (create your own controller with CC and MPE)
-Support for midi programm changes and bank select (VST and hardware)
-Global CC settings (without saving a template file)
-Normal support for Multi midi channel controller like the Beatstep Pro
-Using the type keyboard for playing notes (without the popup screen)
-Song combinator (use more then one file or songs at once)
-Freeze tracks
-Custom shortcuts for different views (anchor like)

EnochLight

19 Nov 2018

Funny.. so 10.2 is announced in late August, gets released in September... and 2 out of the 4 of the new features were on the list in this thread.

Yet no one even mentioned it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Undistraction

20 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Funny.. so 10.2 is announced in late August, gets released in September... and 2 out of the 4 of the new features were on the list in this thread.

Every possible feature ever on the list in this thread.

They just implemented the ones that required the least work and a couple more that nobody asked for.

Hydrosonic

20 Nov 2018

Bezier Curves for Automation
A new real Sampler with upto date features
Making a rack per track function
VST performance
Freeze Track

Creativemind

20 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
18 Aug 2018
Has every feature ever implemented anywhere been mentioned? Are we done now?
Logic and FL Studio are pretty close. I can still name a few features FL Studio doesn't have but almost everything you can think of is there. If someone was to name every feature of any daw, FL Studio is only missing about 15-20.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jappe

20 Nov 2018

Performance Advisor!

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2018

I can think of many things, but if I had to shrink to one entry, it would be the:

SuperMatrix sequencer with 128 steps, 8x8 pattern banks, that would also import and export .MID files...
polyphonic of course.

EnochLight

20 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
20 Nov 2018
EnochLight wrote:
19 Nov 2018

They just implemented the ones that required the least work and a couple more that nobody asked for.
So implementing 2 items off of the list just because they required the least work... negates the new features? I'm just saying - people post all of the time that "Props don't listen to their users". I'd submit that the evidence proves otherwise.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Ah yeah I mean if course I know audio rare mod is possible, I just meant using the cv format. Yeah if there was a Props brand modular system with 1/4” jacks...I dunno why I keep teasing myself with the thought, It just won’t ever happen...

Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong. :lol:
[/quote]

There's no need to change CV rate when you can already do audio rate as is. Not every CV needs audio rate, so it's a perfect way to differentiate between the two IMO and gives options for both when it makes sense to do so (I even did this for Selig Leveler 5 years ago, just to cover all possible bases).

Again, I don't believe this is the limitation…

If we're gonna dream big and also dream "possible", what might be a more likely possibility is an all in one modular rack device (which folks like myself have suggested for YEARS now!).

Start with something sort of like Thor - you can fit two rows of Eurorack or API modules in that format. Add a huge mod matrix, CV/Audio jacks on the back, generous amounts of knobs/sliders/buttons for global control, etc. THEN, open up module design to 3rd party developers!

Something like that could not only allow building huge mono or poly modular synths, but also huge modular sequencers, or great modular FX racks (think Eventide H3000 family), all with great flexibility and versatility. Like Eurorack or lunch boxes, you can stack 2-3 of these when you run out of room (poly voices are the only models that need to all live in the same device), adding FX racks, sequencer racks, CV madness racks, all to build one giant mega system.

One can dream…
Selig Audio, LLC

ltbrunt00

20 Nov 2018

- Creating and saving mixer templates.
- Performance improvements, mainly VST which I know is coming.
- No Reason 11 in 2018, my funds are lower this year.
- Buy Selig and add his devices ass stock tools within reason.
- disabling tracks, so no DSP consumption.
- Add a circular chord selector.
- multi clip editing, which would show notes in editor overlaid on top of each other in sync with sequencer. Studio One has a good implementation of this.
- A radical new feature or enhancement, I don't know what that will be. Create another new feature unique to reason, I miss being surprised.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

sdst
Competition Winner

20 Nov 2018

I see some not Really necessary things

1-so I want to create my own skins. :)

2-the tool window integrated in the sequenser

3-custom keyboard shortcuts

4-optimization

Undistraction

20 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
20 Nov 2018

So implementing 2 items off of the list just because they required the least work... negates the new features? I'm just saying - people post all of the time that "Props don't listen to their users". I'd submit that the evidence proves otherwise.
If you have a list that contains practically every feature anybody could want and you pick the two that require the least amount of work off that list, I'd say that they want to give the impression of 'listening to their users' whilst doing as little work as possible. It was just a bit of PR.

EnochLight

20 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
20 Nov 2018
If you have a list that contains practically every feature anybody could want and you pick the two that require the least amount of work off that list, I'd say that they want to give the impression of 'listening to their users' whilst doing as little work as possible. It was just a bit of PR.
You call it PR. I call it useful workflow improvements. :thumbs_up:

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2018

EnochLight wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
20 Nov 2018
You call it PR. I call it useful workflow improvements. :thumbs_up:
You can even call it "low hanging fruit", but that's exactly the fruit you reach for first if you're being efficient IMO (and if you're hungry).

FWIW - Since we can't read minds, read the Props email, or review their market research, it's impossible (let alone illogical from a business perspective) to suggest they've implemented features no one asked for.
Selig Audio, LLC

Undistraction

20 Nov 2018

Why is it illogical? You release a major version that gets you a lot of criticism for not listening to your users, so you do a point release under the banner of 'listening to your users' so that you have something to mumble back when you are criticised. Of course you don't actually listen to your users and this is just a token gesture, so you pick a few pieces of low hanging fruit that will put a smile on the face of the easily pleased, then roll it out to a barrage of PR. They are probably doing something similar with performance at the moment, though I think they can't find any low-hanging fruit, which is why it still hasn't been released

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:Why is it illogical?
Why is it illogical to ignore your users?

Because adding features costs money, for one. For another, they have investors now that would not be happy if users were ignored.

If your goal is to make money, you add features folks asked for - and if you want to make more money, you do this as effeciently as possible. If you start to ignore users, you don’t stay around for over 20 years.

Props are obvioulsy in it for the long haul, and as such it would be illogical to ignore users. That being said, if you REALLY listen to users, you CAN add features no one actually asked for - as long as these are featuers that most users need once they get a chance to use them. I’m sure no one asked for a Combinator, as one example - but just go and try to take it away from users now!

As a reminder, there are 5000 members here, probably a few hundred that post suggestions regularly. There’s a Reason Facebook group that recently past 20,000 members, four times as many as are here (with proably similar percentages of regular posters). Unless you’ve done extensive market research yourself, it’s unlikely you know what features are suggested by a majority of paying users if all you’re going on is what you read online.

That’s why.

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

20 Nov 2018

Undistraction wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Why is it illogical?
Because you're suggesting it is a PR stunt.

A PR stunt is when you launch a Tesla into Mars orbit via a new rocket to test its payload capability, when you could have just used a slab of concrete that weighed the same.

Props added features in a free point update - features that other DAW have and Reason could use. If that's a PR stunt, it's a pretty valuable PR stunt for end users, for sure. Also, the launch of 10.0 came with new instruments and sounds precisely because users have been complaining about a lack of that sort of content for years. If you'd been a presence in the forums and social network channels from version 6.5-8, you would have seen that. Unless you did and just chose to ignore it.

KGB

20 Nov 2018

Propellerhead has a lot of work on their hands because of the years of Ernst's stubbornness. The list of features are so long because they are behind, and frankly they've been behind for years. It's not an objective opinion, most people share the same feeling. There are way too many Reason apologists, myself included, who give excuses for Reason's shortcomings in this modern age. This is a company who thrives off of being different and doing things differently.
So don't get your hopes up lol...it's going to take a LONG time for them to add all of these features.

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2018

KGB wrote:Propellerhead has a lot of work on their hands because of the years of Ernst's stubbornness. The list of features are so long because they are behind, and frankly they've been behind for years. It's not an objective opinion, most people share the same feeling. There are way too many Reason apologists, myself included, who give excuses for Reason's shortcomings in this modern age. This is a company who thrives off of being different and doing things differently.
One can also say Ernst’s so-called stubbornness (if that’s even what’s going on) gave us Reason’s much appreciated stability. And before anyone says anything, adding VSTs DID affect stability, but not because of the way Reason handles VSTs.

And I hope I never come off as a Reason apologist - I personally despise Reason’s shortcomings. I get very frustrated with the extra steps I encounter when doing even basic things. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t curse the application when working on it. The fact I still choose to use it has more to do with the lack of inspiration I feel when working on other DAWs than any mis-placed feelings of attraction for the Reason application. ;)

[working in Reason today, and cursing it more than once already!]

Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

20 Nov 2018

Reason is probably never going to be adding all the crazy features you see in Cubase.
Reason is more of a plugin than a host, and adding vst support for standalone does little to change that.
It is a standalone production suite that CAN be used to create many different genres but for anything else you would still need to rewire.

This is a flaw. Does this flaw really do much to stop you from making hits? no.
Last edited by Oquasec on 20 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

KGB

20 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
20 Nov 2018
KGB wrote:Propellerhead has a lot of work on their hands because of the years of Ernst's stubbornness. The list of features are so long because they are behind, and frankly they've been behind for years. It's not an objective opinion, most people share the same feeling. There are way too many Reason apologists, myself included, who give excuses for Reason's shortcomings in this modern age. This is a company who thrives off of being different and doing things differently.
One can also say Ernst’s so-called stubbornness (if that’s even what’s going on) gave us Reason’s well loved stability. And before anyone says anything, adding VSTs did affect stability, but that’s not because of the way Reason handles VSTs.

I personally despise Reason’s shortcomings. I get very frustrated with the extra steps I encounter when doing even basic things. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t curse the application when working on it. The fact I still choose to use it has more to do with the lack of inspiration I feel when working on other DAWs than any mis-placed feelings of attraction for the Reason application. ;)

I agree with everything you said. However, there are things that take me 2 seconds to do in Reason that i see will take users of other Daws a little longer to do.

selig
RE Developer

20 Nov 2018

KGB wrote:
20 Nov 2018
selig wrote:
20 Nov 2018

One can also say Ernst’s so-called stubbornness (if that’s even what’s going on) gave us Reason’s well loved stability. And before anyone says anything, adding VSTs did affect stability, but that’s not because of the way Reason handles VSTs.

I personally despise Reason’s shortcomings. I get very frustrated with the extra steps I encounter when doing even basic things. A day doesn’t go by that I don’t curse the application when working on it. The fact I still choose to use it has more to do with the lack of inspiration I feel when working on other DAWs than any mis-placed feelings of attraction for the Reason application. ;)

I agree with everything you said. However, there are things that take me 2 seconds to do in Reason that i see will take users of other Daws a little longer to do.
Agreed - every app has it's own strengths, especially once you settle into the workflow. I still use Pro Tools and on occasion Logic, but for shear creativity I rely on Reason.

IMO, Reason is the ideal environment for starting songs, and only really falls flat for me (compared to other DAWs) when finishing them (mixing/mastering stages). But I come from a studio engineering background in addition to my composing BG, so I probably make different demands on my gear for mixing/mastering than most bedroom composers would make.
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

20 Nov 2018

Oquasec wrote:
20 Nov 2018
Reason is more of a plugin than a host, and adding vst support for standalone does little to change that.
This is not true. Sorry.

Reason stopped being "more of a plugin" after 6.0, and every version after that just solidified it as a proper DAW. Full stop.

I mean, unless you're still on 5.0? :lol:

• Information