Need a recommendation for orchestral sounds

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
mashers

13 Nov 2018

Hi all

I'm still using Orkester for strings, brass and woodwinds. These sounds are a bit dated and feel inflexible, so I'd like something better. I would prefer something integrated (like a refill for Rack Extension) but am open to using a VST if there is one with better samples. In case it makes any difference, my genre is songs arranged as electro/techno blended with orchestral sounds.

Thanks in advance!

Adam W

13 Nov 2018

For whatever it's worth, I really like mixing the Stringwerk RE with the Euphonic Strings refill - the sounds fill each other out pretty nicely (that would only cover you for strings, of course).

They both come with the Backline Rig, which'll likely be going on sale soon. I'm not a salesperson trying to push the rigs or anything, but the sale price would be close to what you'd pay for each one individually, plus you'd get a bunch of other stuff (like the G-Force devices, which have some cool woodwind patches).

Hope that helps!

WongoTheSane

13 Nov 2018

What's your budget? There are lots of options out there, but some of them are really expensive... Also, are you looking for full orchestra sections (winds, perc, etc) or just the strings?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2018

I still use Miroslav quite a bit.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TheGodOfRainbows

14 Nov 2018

I love the ProjectSam Orchestral Sampler, but I got it on sale for 50%. Even at full price the sound quality is there. BUT, one thing that is missing and that would make such a difference in functionality (for me at least) is a SAMPLE START knob. Some patches like the strings have a slower attack speed which limits flexibility when trying to play faster passages. Also, with a sample start knob, you can get more expression by modulating it so that it doesn't always start at the exact same position, thereby at least simulating a bit more realism.

I think I will email them about this. For me, it would make a major difference in the enjoyment and usability of this RE. I would imagine it is very simple to code? But since its already getting long in the tooth, they might not want to bother with it.

As mentioned StringWerk is nice, and I also own it. I think it's a nice upgrade to Reason's included strings, but that's all it does - strings. But does it well. Building staccato patterns is fun! The ProjectSam Orchestral Sampler on the other hand is more bang for your buck, as they cost the same. I like both, but if Projectsam Orchestral Sampler, or POS had the above mentioned issues address and put in a sample start knob, it would make it a better value in my opinion.

If you see either of these on sale, I'd say get them both if you can. :D

mashers

14 Nov 2018

Adam W wrote:
13 Nov 2018
For whatever it's worth, I really like mixing the Stringwerk RE with the Euphonic Strings refill - the sounds fill each other out pretty nicely (that would only cover you for strings, of course).

They both come with the Backline Rig, which'll likely be going on sale soon. I'm not a salesperson trying to push the rigs or anything, but the sale price would be close to what you'd pay for each one individually, plus you'd get a bunch of other stuff (like the G-Force devices, which have some cool woodwind patches).

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll given them a listen and see what they offer!
WongoTheSane wrote:
13 Nov 2018
What's your budget? There are lots of options out there, but some of them are really expensive... Also, are you looking for full orchestra sections (winds, perc, etc) or just the strings?
I don't really know what the budget would be. Technically I can't afford any of them having just spent £130 on a guitar VST :D I'm just looking at the options to see what's out there before deciding if I can save up for one. I don't need a full orchestra, just strings, brass and woodwinds. I use electro percussion or sample stuff around the house rather than timps, vibes etc.
MrFigg wrote:
14 Nov 2018
I still use Miroslav quite a bit.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
TheGodOfRainbows wrote:
14 Nov 2018
I love the ProjectSam Orchestral Sampler, but I got it on sale for 50%. Even at full price the sound quality is there. BUT, one thing that is missing and that would make such a difference in functionality (for me at least) is a SAMPLE START knob. Some patches like the strings have a slower attack speed which limits flexibility when trying to play faster passages. Also, with a sample start knob, you can get more expression by modulating it so that it doesn't always start at the exact same position, thereby at least simulating a bit more realism.

I think I will email them about this. For me, it would make a major difference in the enjoyment and usability of this RE. I would imagine it is very simple to code? But since its already getting long in the tooth, they might not want to bother with it.

As mentioned StringWerk is nice, and I also own it. I think it's a nice upgrade to Reason's included strings, but that's all it does - strings. But does it well. Building staccato patterns is fun! The ProjectSam Orchestral Sampler on the other hand is more bang for your buck, as they cost the same. I like both, but if Projectsam Orchestral Sampler, or POS had the above mentioned issues address and put in a sample start knob, it would make it a better value in my opinion.

If you see either of these on sale, I'd say get them both if you can. :D
Thank you, I'll have a look at them!

esselfortium

14 Nov 2018

StringWerk is simple but the quality is nice. Beyond that you'll have to go to Kontakt/VST land. The ProjectSAM rack extension is really lacking (no legato, few articulations, etc), and Euphonic Strings sounds so janky and poorly-processed that I'm convinced it's a shoddy rip job of a better library(s).
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Emian

14 Nov 2018

+1 for StringWerk. with the Animator sequencer you can make cool rhytmic rifs too, will do good for your techno/electro experimentations

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

mashers

14 Nov 2018

Thanks for the additional recommendations guys! Before I start delving in, would anybody be able to let me know if any of the recommended plugins (or any others) offer more than sample-based sound? What I mean by that is a string engine which resembles the parameters of the actual instrument and the articulations which are possible so that a more natural sound can be achieved (compared to just using preset samples of legato/staccato/marcato etc).

joeyluck

14 Nov 2018

+1 for StringWERK
https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... o-strings/

I still get plenty of use out of Miroslav Gold
https://esoundz.com/details.php?ProductID=2124

I'd keep an eye on those for Black Friday sales.

You can also pick up the individual ReFills of Miroslav: Solo Strings, Ensemble Strings, Brass, Choir, Percussion and Keys, and Woodwinds. They work well in a mix.

One of the next things my list is The Orchestra by Sonuscore. Quite a bit more, but I'm impressed with what I've seen and heard. https://sonuscore.com/shop/the-orchestra/ I've got my eye on it for Black Friday. Although, not excited about having to install Kontakt Player to use it. Kontakt causes some issues on my end, but only when starting and quitting Reason (it can hang and freeze).

Which is why I also have my eye on Spitfire Audio, since they released LABS, not requiring Kontakt (running as its own plugin). Which you should check out, it's free. There's a Strings library and a really cool Amplified Cello Quartet library. And then they recently released Eric Whitacre Choir (commercial), which also runs as its own plugin. So I'm hopeful their other libraries will come out doing the same, or others will be converted.

esselfortium

14 Nov 2018

I've heard really good things about Cinematic Studio Strings and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings. Embertone's solo strings are also quite nice. All of those feature "true legato" sampling, which means that the transitions between notes are recorded. You can get some exceptionally expressive strings parts utilizing legato/portamento and automating vibrato and expression.
joeyluck wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Kontakt causes some issues on my end, but only when starting and quitting Reason (it can hang and freeze).
I was experiencing this for a while recently, though changing some things with how my computer is configured has somehow resolved it just as mysteriously as it began. Before it miraculously fixed itself, though, my workaround was to save, delete all the sequencer tracks, and then close the song (without re-saving, of course!). Hilariously gross hack but it did avoid the lockups :lol:
Sarah Mancuso

joeyluck

14 Nov 2018

esselfortium wrote:
14 Nov 2018
I've heard really good things about Cinematic Studio Strings and Cinematic Studio Solo Strings. Embertone's solo strings are also quite nice. All of those feature "true legato" sampling, which means that the transitions between notes are recorded. You can get some exceptionally expressive strings parts utilizing legato/portamento and automating vibrato and expression.
joeyluck wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Kontakt causes some issues on my end, but only when starting and quitting Reason (it can hang and freeze).
I was experiencing this for a while recently, though changing some things with how my computer is configured has somehow resolved it just as mysteriously as it began. Before it miraculously fixed itself, though, my workaround was to save, delete all the sequencer tracks, and then close the song (without re-saving, of course!). Hilariously gross hack but it did avoid the lockups :lol:
Good to know. I just saw the full version of Kontakt is on sale for 50% off. But at $200, still might not be cheap enough for me to pay up front for the ability to use the libraries that require the full version. Might have to revisit what is I was hoping to get that requires the full version...

esselfortium

14 Nov 2018

joeyluck wrote:
14 Nov 2018
esselfortium wrote:
14 Nov 2018

Good to know. I just saw the full version of Kontakt is on sale for 50% off. But at $200, still might not be cheap enough for me to pay up front for the ability to use the libraries that require the full version. Might have to revisit what is I was hoping to get that requires the full version...
Check and see if the crossgrade is on sale too, and then get the free DrummicA library to do it from if so :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso

mashers

14 Nov 2018

I've just had a listen to the StringWERK samples, and it sounds absolutely beautiful. I'm gonna have a listen to the Miroslav also, because if that sounds as good then I'll get the gold bundle with the other refills too.

Pingafuego

15 Nov 2018

esselfortium wrote:
14 Nov 2018
joeyluck wrote:
14 Nov 2018

Check and see if the crossgrade is on sale too, and then get the free DrummicA library to do it from if so :puf_smile:
There’s no crossgrade option available at the moment. And you cannot use the free DrummicA to crossgrade anymore..

Johnny Utah

21 Nov 2018

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but a long-time Reason/DAW user.

I own StringWERKS, which is amazing and something I use all the time in my compositions. I'm really interested in purchasing Miroslav Gold but I'm having a strange issue.

I have made sure I have selected Miroslav Gold in my cart and every time I click on the check out with paypal option I get the following error message:

cart not initialized correctly

I have made sure I didn't make any mistakes, so I'm not sure what is going on here. I tried emailing support but their email isn't working either (not recognized by gmail)?

I figured I would ask on here. Is there anyone else having the same issues on esoundz.com?

kitekrazy

24 Nov 2018

mashers wrote:
14 Nov 2018
I've just had a listen to the StringWERK samples, and it sounds absolutely beautiful. I'm gonna have a listen to the Miroslav also, because if that sounds as good then I'll get the gold bundle with the other refills too.
Wait till it's $49.

motuscott

24 Nov 2018

Hats off to Projectsam Orchestral Sampler. Do they not know what POS means to Americans?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information