Step Note Recorder II

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
olive6741

09 Nov 2018

Great update! thanks! (was an instabuy, but now I go deep in the manual, I think it is absolutely great ! Conditions are great!)

botnotbot

09 Nov 2018

This is a very nice update indeed!

However, I'm already missing multiple pattern selections per device ;)

Users, give em something awesome and they still want more. Sorry about that, but it would be awesome, especially with RE pattern sequencing now available.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome update.

tiker01

09 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
09 Nov 2018

That would indeed be amazing.
I've been brainstorming around it before, but I haven't come up with a great solution (yet). For example, since RE parameters are independent (especially if they can be controlled via automation or Remote), there's no way to ensure that the markers don't cross each other. What would be the best way to handle that case: Treat it as a 0-length sequence?

Another way would be to add the ability to shift the actual sequence data to the left or right (exactly like Shift on Drum Sequencer), a "Hard Offset" if you will. Shifting the data 3 steps to the left would be the equivalent of moving a "beginning marker" 3 steps to the right. although it would not be possible to automate it.
In Props granular synth Grain if the Start and End markers cross each other the playback direction is simply reversed. I think that is an elegant solution.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

kungubu

09 Nov 2018

tiker01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018
buddard wrote:
09 Nov 2018

I've been brainstorming around it before, but I haven't come up with a great solution (yet). For example, since RE parameters are independent (especially if they can be controlled via automation or Remote), there's no way to ensure that the markers don't cross each other. What would be the best way to handle that case: Treat it as a 0-length sequence?

Another way would be to add the ability to shift the actual sequence data to the left or right (exactly like Shift on Drum Sequencer), a "Hard Offset" if you will. Shifting the data 3 steps to the left would be the equivalent of moving a "beginning marker" 3 steps to the right. although it would not be possible to automate it.
In Props granular synth Grain if the Start and End markers cross each other the playback direction is simply reversed. I think that is an elegant solution.
Seems logical - if they cross you could say we get a negative sequence, and this could invert the direction of the playhead.

Undistraction

09 Nov 2018

kungubu wrote:
09 Nov 2018
tiker01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018

Seems logical - if they cross you could say we get a negative sequence, and this could invert the direction of the playhead.
Yep. This feels like the logical solution.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
09 Nov 2018

What about just setting Start and Length...
kungubu wrote:
09 Nov 2018
tiker01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018

I like the idea of the reverse playback.

kungubu

09 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Undistraction wrote:
09 Nov 2018

That would indeed be amazing.

When I think about, it to treat the crossings of the markers as a 0-length sequence is not a bad idea at all - this way it will be easy to to get it to shut up. The most important thing for me is that you can control it via cv. To shift the sequence data would be nice, but if it isn't possible to automate it, it don't really help to change the sequence while you running it.

buddard
RE Developer

12 Nov 2018

Thanks a lot for the feedback, lots of stuff to think about for the future! :puf_smile:

But first I have an update with some minor tweaks and bug fixes in the works + a couple of other projects to tend to. ;)

Loque

12 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
12 Nov 2018
... a couple of other projects to tend to. ;)
Resonans: https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... nthesizer/
68363872de3ec90c86e0b844652a3c13.jpg
68363872de3ec90c86e0b844652a3c13.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

12 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Nov 2018
buddard wrote:
12 Nov 2018
... a couple of other projects to tend to. ;)
Working on it as we speak! :D

Loque

12 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
12 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
12 Nov 2018

Working on it as we speak! :D
smiling_cat.jpg
smiling_cat.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

12 Nov 2018

:shock: didnt even know this synth existed!

:? -> synth envy

Loque

12 Nov 2018

fretshot7 wrote:
12 Nov 2018

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7500576&hilit=resonans
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7500575&hilit=resonans
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

12 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
12 Nov 2018
fretshot7 wrote:
12 Nov 2018

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7500576&hilit=resonans
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7500575&hilit=resonans
thanks!
also good to validate my sound quality radar because when I heard this synth I thought 'wow!' and judging by the links alot of people thought the same.

sonicbyte

13 Nov 2018

Just bought it, really like it @buddard ... I will mostly use it to score fast strings arrangements / passages for cinematic stuff. I would love to get more steps per pattern and the chance to change note resolution figures in the same pattern, but also I know this should be a feature of the sequencer and is not a fault from this RE... this solves my problem for now and is great !

Thanks

buddard
RE Developer

13 Nov 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
13 Nov 2018
Just bought it, really like it @buddard ... I will mostly use it to score fast strings arrangements / passages for cinematic stuff. I would love to get more steps per pattern and the chance to change note resolution figures in the same pattern, but also I know this should be a feature of the sequencer and is not a fault from this RE... this solves my problem for now and is great !

Thanks
Regarding the note resolutions, there's actually a lot you can do using the Repeat lane! Using the repeat mode Hold (or Single for more staccato) you can for example turn 1/8 notes into quarter notes (2 repeats). The Ratchet mode works the opposite, so you can turn 1/8 notes into 1/16 notes (2 repeats), or 1/16 triplets (3 repeats). By using different base resolutions and base repeat counts you can do pretty advanced stuff. :puf_smile:

The number of steps is of course a limitation that's harder to get around.

tanni

13 Nov 2018

maybe you can bring the possibility of pattern changes to the Step Note Recorder, for example 8 patterns like in the Drum Sequencer ?
I want to automate/trigger the pattern changes via Midi controller then.

Reasonable man

13 Nov 2018

Love the step note myself. It has the same limitation as 99% of step sequencers though and thats the individaul step lengths adjustment .
What i mean is dotted ryhthms and syncopation which is different to swing and shuffle. Athough alot can be done with shuffle on any device you get still get a static global value.
I dont understand the technology behind sequencers but i presume it's very difficult develop a sequencer that can produce the kind of syncopated sequences and rthythms found for eg in the Alligator.
The closest thing ive found (i have limitated decives) is the 'step length' parameter found on thor's step sequencer which has quarter , third and eight notes which can be assaigned side by side. Its fun to eperiment with as ther'es is no quantisiation compenation but if you hear a rhythmn in your head it can be very very difficult to calulate it using fractions (essentialy) and i ususally give up unless i manage to completely fluke it which is rare.
As i type this realize that you can always take the gate outputs of alligator foe example into step's clock in and use what ever notes you want but it would be tops if someone somewhere could construct a sequencer that coud allow manageable progarmming of advaced dotted syncopated sequences . I can imagine that this would be a major undertaking as its never been done sucussfully (to my knowledge)

Bes
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2018

Reasonable Man - try using two step sequencers one set to triplets and the other standard and run them both at the same time and play around with the pattern make sure there are some rests or it will sound like polyrythms instead of syncopation. this should work for you.

clocking the sequence with the alligator sounds fun tho i'll try that
- Certified Reason expert

Biolumin3sc3nt

13 Nov 2018

It seems as if You trialed version 1, You're locked out of trialing version 2. Anyway we can get trial reset for version 2, cuz this looks super fun!

Reasonable man

13 Nov 2018

Bes wrote:
13 Nov 2018
Reasonable Man - try using two step sequencers one set to triplets and the other standard and run them both at the same time and play around with the pattern make sure there are some rests or it will sound like polyrythms instead of syncopation. this should work for you.

clocking the sequence with the alligator sounds fun tho i'll try that
Thanks good idea!

I just read my post back ... i think i came across a bit whiney ..didn't mean to. Step note is fav reason sequencer . Love the Psq as well

buddard
RE Developer

14 Nov 2018

tanni wrote:
13 Nov 2018
maybe you can bring the possibility of pattern changes to the Step Note Recorder, for example 8 patterns like in the Drum Sequencer ?
I want to automate/trigger the pattern changes via Midi controller then.
Unfortunately this is not possible because we added automation/Remote support for per-step properties (pitch, rests, slides, velocities, repeats etc).

That's why we created the free Select CV Switch RE, to which you can connect up to 8 sequencer instances (Step, other sequencer, or mixed!). You can switch channels on Select either using the buttons, CV input or MIDI keys. It's not an ideal solution, but a workaround nonetheless!

buddard
RE Developer

14 Nov 2018

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
13 Nov 2018
It seems as if You trialed version 1, You're locked out of trialing version 2. Anyway we can get trial reset for version 2, cuz this looks super fun!
Yes, the lack of upgrade trials is unfortunately a limitation in the PH shop. But I'm thinking that 9 bucks is maybe not a huge investment?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
13 Nov 2018
Yes, the lack of upgrade trials is unfortunately a limitation in the PH shop. But I'm thinking that 9 bucks is maybe not a huge investment?
Best investment this year.
Push the button man :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Biolumin3sc3nt

14 Nov 2018

buddard wrote:
14 Nov 2018
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
13 Nov 2018

I totally agree, but I missed on version 1. I'll more than likely pick it up in the near future though! :thumbs_up:

• Information