Eyesight deteriorating...fast.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

Well I wouldn't say I'm getting old...older definitely but not old...yet. Anyway, the last 3 months I've noticed my eyesight going downhill. I hold my telephone about a meter away from my face in order to read the text and if I look at my computer monitor for too long I get dizzy. Same goes for text and other stuff at a distance. Its like my eyes are focusing independently of each other. An eye test costs about 35 quid but a pair of reading glasses at the garage costs about a fiver. The reading glasses however make me feel like I've been on a roller coaster when I take them off again. I'm surprised at just how quickly it's gone. And well...that's it. Not old...just older and more damaged. See you on the other side (but I might need to have a pair of glasses to do it).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rgdaniel

11 Nov 2018

I feel your pain, brother. I developed cataracts last year, which eventually made it impossible to drive, and very very difficult to do much of anything, including see my computer. Reason, even at cranked up screen sizes, was almost not worth the squinting. Finally got the first surgery last December, and I was stunned at the difference between left and eye and right eye while I waited for the second surgery. S'all good now, though. Hope you can get yours sorted, somehow.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
11 Nov 2018
I feel your pain, brother. I developed cataracts last year, which eventually made it impossible to drive, and very very difficult to do much of anything, including see my computer. Reason, even at cranked up screen sizes, was almost not worth the squinting. Finally got the first surgery last December, and I was stunned at the difference between left and eye and right eye while I waited for the second surgery. S'all good now, though. Hope you can get yours sorted, somehow.
Glad to hear the surgery worked man. Must be a relief. Yeah...I’m sure it’ll be fine with me. Pair of glasses and I’ll be right as rain. Maybe even give me an air of mystery...hmm 😂
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

4filegate

11 Nov 2018

Double images are not advantageous in Reason. After my cataract surgery, the gain was considerable and world came back in color. There is something odd here. "There are things I don't want to be able to see so clearly anymore"my profession is optician

MarkTarlton

11 Nov 2018

I began to have eye issues a couple years ago... staring at a computer screen over 12-14 hours a day and squinting constantly does not help either. I started to take breaks and some days I don't even work on the computer, my vision has been average and not degrading as badly/as fast. It's no fun having your body degrade over time. thank god for music and the ability to escape and forget about all that.

WongoTheSane

11 Nov 2018

Welcome to the club :)

If it's just aged-based farsightedness, just buy the cheapest glasses you can find: they won't last longer that a couple of months anyway, as the condition will worsen steadily until you're about 55. Get the 1.0 grade, then you'll have to get the 1.5 in a couple of months, then the 2.0, etc. It's hell early on but you get used to it. Also, you'll only need the one pair now, but later on you'll need several: one to see very close (like your phone), then another to watch TV (three to five meters away) and then a third pair to drive for instance...

And a fiver seems a bit expensive, over here I can find lots of different models at the dollar store. They break easily but hey, they're only a dollar.

4filegate

11 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Nov 2018
one pair now, but later on you'll need several
multifocal lenses/varifocals ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Welcome to the club :)

If it's just aged-based farsightedness, just buy the cheapest glasses you can find: they won't last longer that a couple of months anyway, as the condition will worsen steadily until you're about 55. Get the 1.0 grade, then you'll have to get the 1.5 in a couple of months, then the 2.0, etc. It's hell early on but you get used to it. Also, you'll only need the one pair now, but later on you'll need several: one to see very close (like your phone), then another to watch TV (three to five meters away) and then a third pair to drive for instance...

And a fiver seems a bit expensive, over here I can find lots of different models at the dollar store. They break easily but hey, they're only a dollar.
Ha ha. So the future is bright? :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

4filegate wrote:
11 Nov 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Nov 2018
one pair now, but later on you'll need several
multifocal lenses/varifocals ;)
Ha ha. You’re just looking for business. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

electricthing

11 Nov 2018

I have been wearing glasses for distance (don't know the correct english term)
sight since my young years.
Last year pc reading became harder, well being in my 50s helps.
So I bought glasses for computer screen at an optician; really helps.
They are focussed just a bit further away than reading glasses.
Also good for when I'm doing some DIY.
And on a meeting they can also work.

Of course your eyes need just a bit time to adjust when switching.
And sometimes I don't use them but I prefer a big zoom on the PC when browsing.
Just what feels best at the moment.
In the morning my eyesight is worse.

I can recommend them.

gullum

11 Nov 2018

Mid 40's here and last year I started to realize it was hard to read on my phone then text on the computer became unclear, I have 2 set of cheap glasses one for normal reading and one for when I need to get really up close or small. still, almost 10 years to I get 55 so I guess I will need binoculars by that time :D

bxbrkrz

11 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Well I wouldn't say I'm getting old...older definitely but not old...yet. Anyway, the last 3 months I've noticed my eyesight going downhill. I hold my telephone about a meter away from my face in order to read the text and if I look at my computer monitor for too long I get dizzy. Same goes for text and other stuff at a distance. Its like my eyes are focusing independently of each other. An eye test costs about 35 quid but a pair of reading glasses at the garage costs about a fiver. The reading glasses however make me feel like I've been on a roller coaster when I take them off again. I'm surprised at just how quickly it's gone. And well...that's it. Not old...just older and more damaged. See you on the other side (but I might need to have a pair of glasses to do it).
You should always double check if this condition is not the early sign of another illness.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

moneykube

11 Nov 2018

oh my... I can''t read this
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

4filegate

12 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2018

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2018

4filegate wrote:
12 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2018
😂😂😂🤓
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

12 Nov 2018

TouchFocus sounds interesting, but will be pricey in the short term. Second-gen competitors though...

This video is a bit rubbish,

WongoTheSane

12 Nov 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
12 Nov 2018
TouchFocus sounds interesting, but will be pricey in the short term. Second-gen competitors though...
2200€??

- The price is a bit steep...
- Steep? That's not steep, mate, that's effing vertical!

Still, extremely promising indeed.

4filegate

13 Nov 2018

regard to Visual perception; We make models in science, but we also make them in everyday life.

Model-dependent realism applies not only to scientific models but also to the conscious and subconscious mental models we all create in order to interpret
and understand the everyday world. There is no way to remove the observer—us—from our perception of the world, which is created through our sensory processing
and through the way we think and reason. Our perception—and hence the observations upon which our theories are based—is not direct, but rather is shaped by a kind of lens, the interpretive structure of our human brains.

Model-dependent realism corresponds to the way we perceive objects. In vision, one’s brain receives a series of signals down the optic nerve. Those signals do not constitute the sort of image you would accept on your television. There is a blind spot where the optic nerve attaches to the retina, and the only part of your field of vision with good resolution is a narrow area of about 1 degree of visual angle around the retina’s center, an area the width of your thumb when held at arm’s length. And so the raw data sent to the brain are like a badly pixilated picture with a hole in it. Fortunately, the human brain processes that data, combining the input from both eyes, filling in gaps on the assumption that the visual properties of neighboring locations are similar and interpolating. Moreover, it reads a two-dimensional array of data from the retina and creates from it the impression of three-dimensional space. The brain, in other words, builds a mental picture or model.

stephen_hawking_the_grand_design

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2018

4filegate wrote:
13 Nov 2018
regard to Visual perception; We make models in science, but we also make them in everyday life.

Model-dependent realism applies not only to scientific models but also to the conscious and subconscious mental models we all create in order to interpret
and understand the everyday world. There is no way to remove the observer—us—from our perception of the world, which is created through our sensory processing
and through the way we think and reason. Our perception—and hence the observations upon which our theories are based—is not direct, but rather is shaped by a kind of lens, the interpretive structure of our human brains.

Model-dependent realism corresponds to the way we perceive objects. In vision, one’s brain receives a series of signals down the optic nerve. Those signals do not constitute the sort of image you would accept on your television. There is a blind spot where the optic nerve attaches to the retina, and the only part of your field of vision with good resolution is a narrow area of about 1 degree of visual angle around the retina’s center, an area the width of your thumb when held at arm’s length. And so the raw data sent to the brain are like a badly pixilated picture with a hole in it. Fortunately, the human brain processes that data, combining the input from both eyes, filling in gaps on the assumption that the visual properties of neighboring locations are similar and interpolating. Moreover, it reads a two-dimensional array of data from the retina and creates from it the impression of three-dimensional space. The brain, in other words, builds a mental picture or model.

stephen_hawking_the_grand_design
What’s your point caller?
:)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

13 Nov 2018

Three sets of glasses here in my mid 60s.
They say the deterioration slows down after a while.
I need to find this "they" and kick they's ass.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2018

I have a damaged retina from Toxoplasmosis on my left eye, i can't read with it. Then developed miopia at 9 on the good one so i use lenses since then. I have +3.0 diopters and stabelized since mid 30's. But now i start feeling that with these glasses i start to need to look at my phone a little farther away every ear. If i remove the glasses i can read really close to my eyes but i was able to do this with the glasses.

Anyway... I know what you guys feel and at 40 it scares the hell out of me that it only gets worse from now on! Oh well...

4filegate

13 Nov 2018

How Your Eyes Work!
MrFigg wrote:
13 Nov 2018
What’s your point caller? :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

13 Nov 2018

4filegate wrote:
13 Nov 2018
How Your Eyes Work!
MrFigg wrote:
13 Nov 2018
What’s your point caller? :)
They don’t work. That’s the problem :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

17 Nov 2018

Well...it's not getting any better surprisingly. Just been recording for a couple of hours and now I feel I've stepped off a boat that's been on stormy waters for a week. Ech!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

4filegate

17 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
17 Nov 2018
Well...it's not getting any better surprisingly. Just been recording for a couple of hours and now I feel I've stepped off a boat that's been on stormy waters for a week. Ech!!!
consult an ophthalmologist? (Many people believe the eyes more than the ears.)

• Information