Commercial Refills: done over a lunchtime?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2018

darkdogstudios wrote:
10 Nov 2018
It is a rather provocative attitude, so it's hardly surprising that sound designers react a tad defensively. ;)
What was provocative about what I said? Not my intention at all with this post. No attitude in there. Really not. What I said was not a personal attack on any particular developer. I’m certainly not out to hurt feelings or damage sales. My main point was that there are commercial refills out there which in my opinion would appear to have been made with minimal effort as compared to other truly fantastic soundbanks in which the makers have clearly put a lot of time, energy and dedication. I support the format and have over the years bought and paid for a lot of sounds. I know by now pretty much who I can rely on to deliver a quality package. But as a consumer I get frustrated when I pay money for a product only to find that nearly every patch in the refill sounds the same. I made the thread to hear other users points of view on the subject.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Marco Raaphorst

11 Nov 2018

Yes you can only ReFills that were quality checked by the Props. Although they work with 3rd parties, it's their shop and these are there customers really. A ReFill maker selling it's ReFills at Propellerhead has one customer: Propellerhead. Same as for Apple App Store etc.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
09 Nov 2018
When I create my Dopetank refills, I really wouldn't even bother to create em, if I wouldn't do my best to fill them with professional sounds. I've also provided lots of free sounds, so people know my work really well.
I'm not wasting time to create thousands of sounds, that almost all sound the same. But hey, the market is pretty much like dead, it's been so for years.
Just tried your demos man and I've got to agree with you . Some really nice sounds. There'll definitely be coming a subscription your way soon :).
One question though...when I try to open the Grain patches in the Subscription Demo refill I'm getting that horrible Locate Missing Sounds Window and searching the Samples folder just results in Sounds Not Found. I can open the samples folder and drag in the sounds to Grain and that works fine. Any ideas? I seem to remember having this problem before with another refill. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heigen5

11 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
09 Nov 2018
When I create my Dopetank refills, I really wouldn't even bother to create em, if I wouldn't do my best to fill them with professional sounds. I've also provided lots of free sounds, so people know my work really well.
I'm not wasting time to create thousands of sounds, that almost all sound the same. But hey, the market is pretty much like dead, it's been so for years.
Just tried your demos man and I've got to agree with you . Some really nice sounds. There'll definitely be coming a subscription your way soon :).
One question though...when I try to open the Grain patches in the Subscription Demo refill I'm getting that horrible Locate Missing Sounds Window and searching the Samples folder just results in Sounds Not Found. I can open the samples folder and drag in the sounds to Grain and that works fine. Any ideas? I seem to remember having this problem before with another refill. :)
Jesus, thanks for pointing out the Grain problem, should be fixed now, please replace the refill: www.reflexion-x.com/downloads/Dopetank% ... Refill.rfl

And thanks for checking out my demos, glad you liked some of the sounds. ;)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2018

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Jesus, thanks for pointing out the Grain problem, should be fixed now, please replace the refill: www.reflexion-x.com/downloads/Dopetank% ... Refill.rfl

No problem :). Thanks yourself :).
And yes...really nice sounds.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

11 Nov 2018

I currently only sell via my site. Propellerhead do like my work (Mattias HG even made a demo & review on Youtube just before he began working there, it should still be up?) but I have not yet started selling the stuff on their site.

JdA57

11 Nov 2018

bitley wrote:
11 Nov 2018
I currently only sell via my site. Propellerhead do like my work (Mattias HG even made a demo & review on Youtube just before he began working there, it should still be up?) but I have not yet started selling the stuff on their site.
normally thats ok, but I, as a user of your ReFill never got an info from you if there is an update or what the difference between some new version and that one I bought. Then you change in a ReFill some order / Folders ...

Last time I'd to contacted you, to know what happens and if there is an update etc. ... ... since that time: again no information.

I'm really so unhappy with your support, so I deleted all refills from you and finished. I think, if you've as so much problems with support, maybe it's better you sell your Refills on props-shop (withoout wining because money and deals ;) )

bitley

11 Nov 2018

Sorry to hear that! I try to be supportive and get the info out. If you email me (so I can check your order history) I might be able to sort out any question marks & send you some new sounds for free. Ok?

bitley

12 Nov 2018

What the hell am I doing in this thread anyway?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

12 Nov 2018

bitley wrote:
12 Nov 2018
What the hell am I doing in this thread anyway?
Wondered that myself. Everyone knows your refills are up there with the good ones :).
Anyway, I think you’ve had enough praise from me on this forum for a while. :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bitley

12 Nov 2018

Never enough Sir! :D

Btw. I just realised that my banks together contain towards 10,000 patches, and I spent up to 3-4 hours on an individual patch at times. It must be the coffee and the northern climate, but our lunch breaks certainly seems to last longer. :D

faun2500

13 Nov 2018

Wow, a couple of hours? lol That would be nice. The Pop refill I have just finished for newloops.com has taken about a month and that is working on it for hours every day. It takes me at least 1 or 2 days to convert all rex files and make NNXT, dr.octorex patches. If you are buying refills that sound like they were made in 2 hours you need to change your supplier! :) BTW, our newest Techno Refill (Techno Master Tool box) took about 2 months of work.
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

faun2500

13 Nov 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Props and devs should provide a demo video in the shop - and not only an audio demo where you can't tell what is from refill and what is other devices - that showcase at least ten or twenty presets of every refill. Isn't that hard to do and could lead more sales, so is a win win for everyone.

My two cents
We do demos, but only on our website - https://newloops.com/collections/reason-refills

Props shops doesn't offer them. I think demo packs are important
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Been thinking about this for a while but sometimes when I listen to sounds in a refill which I’ve bought I think hmmm...2 hour job? (Maybe a bit exaggerated but you maybe get my meaning). It feels like the creator has just taken a couple of sounds twiddled the knobs a bit. Saved the patch and then repeated the process. 200 twiddles later there’s a new refill. Release 10 a month.
There are awesome soundscapers out there...folk who have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to create something of quality. You know who they are so I won’t mention any names. Some of those “good developers” even give their stuff away free. I just can’t get my head around folk selling slapdash crap in which nearly every patch sounds the same.
I know nobody forces purchase on anybody but I’d like to think that people releasing a new product would have some level of quality management with the customer in mind.
So I just wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on this.
i know im rectifing your old post but in your opinion who are the top ten

i would say

moon echo audio
bitword
and reason studios
luftrum
wbu ?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Dec 2020

Abbey Road
All by Maustaste
All by NAA
Reason Pianos
Pantheon 1-3
WBF
Off the top of my head...can’t think of other ones just now. Probably loads I’ve not mentioned.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
06 Dec 2020
Abbey Road
All by Maustaste
All by NAA
Reason Pianos
Pantheon 1-3
WBF
Off the top of my head...can’t think of other ones just now. Probably loads I’ve not mentioned.
wish i had naa refills far too expensive now
whats Maustaste?

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
06 Dec 2020
whats Maustaste?
viewtopic.php?t=7263264
Selig Audio, LLC

iamthor4

06 Dec 2020

selig wrote:
06 Dec 2020
iamthor4 wrote:
06 Dec 2020
whats Maustaste?
viewtopic.php?t=7263264
downloaded them not my thing cheers

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2020

iamthor4 wrote:
06 Dec 2020
selig wrote:
06 Dec 2020

viewtopic.php?t=7263264
downloaded them not my thing cheers
Yea, not every thing in life is a good fit - better luck next time!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

moneykube

06 Dec 2020

Heigen5 wrote:
11 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
11 Nov 2018

I purchased this refill but link is dead for the fixed patch(edit)... thanks for sending it to me bro
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Auryn

07 Dec 2020

MrFigg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Been thinking about this for a while but sometimes when I listen to sounds in a refill which I’ve bought I think hmmm...2 hour job? (Maybe a bit exaggerated but you maybe get my meaning). It feels like the creator has just taken a couple of sounds twiddled the knobs a bit. Saved the patch and then repeated the process. 200 twiddles later there’s a new refill. Release 10 a month.
There are awesome soundscapers out there...folk who have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to create something of quality. You know who they are so I won’t mention any names. Some of those “good developers” even give their stuff away free. I just can’t get my head around folk selling slapdash crap in which nearly every patch sounds the same.
I know nobody forces purchase on anybody but I’d like to think that people releasing a new product would have some level of quality management with the customer in mind.
So I just wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on this.
So yeah, I think the "every patch sounds the same" effect is probably down to "fashion" as much as anything. At any time there are certain sounds that are "in vogue" and are used in a ton of (electronic) hit records so some sound designers will probably aim for such sounds.

My own motivation when producing refills is to "discover" new sounds that are unique to the synthesizer in question. If I didn't have this sense of "discovery" and already knew ahead of time what I am going to end up making then I would lose motivation to work on refills very quickly.

Like some of the other refill developers have said the market for refills is currently not great so I'm not sure there's gonna be enough rewards to even motivate cynical refill churning. Mind you there have certainly been cynical actors in the past.
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

DougalDarkly

07 Dec 2020

Auryn wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Like some of the other refill developers have said the market for refills is currently not great so I'm not sure there's gonna be enough rewards to even motivate cynical refill churning. Mind you there have certainly been cynical actors in the past.
Just been on the store and counted 106 refills for 2020 so far - not counting those that are (deliberately?) wrongly categorised.

There are a total of 563 in the 'sounds' category altogether - do you think the market may just be over-saturated?

Auryn

08 Dec 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Just been on the store and counted 106 refills for 2020 so far - not counting those that are (deliberately?) wrongly categorised.

There are a total of 563 in the 'sounds' category altogether - do you think the market may just be over-saturated?
:shock: Wow I had no idea there were still so many refills being released. I don't tend to browse the shop for sounds is all I can say :)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

PGR

08 Dec 2020

DougalDarkly wrote:
07 Dec 2020
Auryn wrote:
07 Dec 2020

Most of those Refills are "only" loops in WAV & Rex2 format. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps not what I think is a "true" Refill.

DougalDarkly

08 Dec 2020

PGR wrote:
08 Dec 2020
Most of those Refills are "only" loops in WAV & Rex2 format. Nothing wrong with that but perhaps not what I think is a "true" Refill.
Thanks for the clarification - I haven't ever bought a Refill of any kind in all my years of using Reason, so I wasn't aware.

So, to be a "true" Refill, you would need to include presets? Or do you mean mapped-instruments for the samples, like NN-XT patches or something?

I'm not about to change my ways - I enjoy the sound-design part of my process :D - just curious!

• Information