Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MPS

07 Nov 2018

Hey Adam, just wanted to say cheers for doing these Reason videos. They've reinvigorated my excitement for this software that seems to be in recent years very underappreciated. I've been a user of Reason since v1 and it was my first ever exposure to the likes of subtractive synthesis and x0x-style sequencers and beyond. Honestly I had no idea what I was doing back then!

Maybe it's now a sentimental thing, but over all the years of noodling with music software, across various DAWs and Softsynths, Reason seems to have a 'fun factor' about it that everything else doesn't seem to come close to. Some might even say that is a fault, but it's what has kept me coming back on and off over the years. Now that it has VST support I can't see why it shouldn't be my primary DAW. I haven't written much music from start to finish and I plan to form some good habits using Reason so that I can get things over the line. These videos are helping me really dive deep in to it and get excited about it all again - looking forward to the next installment!

Jagwah

07 Nov 2018

These are always full of useful tips and improvements on our own workflow we can pick up, thanks Adam!

adfielding

09 Nov 2018

stephensmattlee wrote:
05 Nov 2018
Sounds awesome Adam, just catching up on the latest stream on YouTube now. Really liking the vibe of this one. Sounds like something that wouldn’t be out of place in a dark futuristic sci-fi movie.
Appreciate all the hard work and always find it so inspiring how fast you get from an initial idea to a fully fleshed out idea with full arrangements. Looking forward to the next one [emoji106]
Awesome, thanks - I'm really glad you liked it! I think it was one of the better ones, which is funny considering I think it had a bit of a rocky start. That seems to always be the way, mind :)
Arrant wrote:
05 Nov 2018
I notice you don't tend to solo stuff much, instead doing most of your changes while listening in the context of the entire mix.
This improves speed a lot compared to my obsessing over little details probably way to early in the process. Inspirational :thumbs_up:
Thanks! And yeah, that's true, and that's something I hadn't really consciously noticed until you mentioned it, which is super interesting. It's like when I realised that I perform a lot of mix-tweaks in the rack (i.e. before it hits the SSL) - I think when I'm working outside of these streams I do tend to solo individual channels a lot more and focus a bit more on the details, but a lot of the time I do tend to think in terms of the complete mix. I think that also applies to my approach to song-writing as well.
MPS wrote:
07 Nov 2018
Hey Adam, just wanted to say cheers for doing these Reason videos. They've reinvigorated my excitement for this software that seems to be in recent years very underappreciated. I've been a user of Reason since v1 and it was my first ever exposure to the likes of subtractive synthesis and x0x-style sequencers and beyond. Honestly I had no idea what I was doing back then!

Maybe it's now a sentimental thing, but over all the years of noodling with music software, across various DAWs and Softsynths, Reason seems to have a 'fun factor' about it that everything else doesn't seem to come close to. Some might even say that is a fault, but it's what has kept me coming back on and off over the years. Now that it has VST support I can't see why it shouldn't be my primary DAW. I haven't written much music from start to finish and I plan to form some good habits using Reason so that I can get things over the line. These videos are helping me really dive deep in to it and get excited about it all again - looking forward to the next installment!
Cheers - yeah, I know what you mean about the "fun factor". I own and use a few different DAWs, but Reason has consistently been the one that I tend to get the most done with. It just clicks with me, which is awesome... but I also recognise that it might not be the case with everyone. I originally learned about subtractive synthesis by reading about the Subtractor in the R1 manual!
Jagwah wrote:
07 Nov 2018
These are always full of useful tips and improvements on our own workflow we can pick up, thanks Adam!
You're welcome, thank you for checking it out! :)

Also - just a reminder that I won't be doing a stream tonight, and that I'll be back next Friday at the usual time of 19:30 GMT. I still intend to make some shorter tutorials in-between these streams, based somewhat on some of the stuff I've glossed over during these sessions :)

artotaku

09 Nov 2018

I have watched all three streams. There is always something new for me to learn, even if I have been a Reason user since 3.0 and had watched a lot of tutorials on the net. Cheers for that!

adfielding

10 Nov 2018

artotaku wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I have watched all three streams. There is always something new for me to learn, even if I have been a Reason user since 3.0 and had watched a lot of tutorials on the net. Cheers for that!
Thanks! That's really nice of you to say, and I'm really happy that you're getting something from my streaming shenanigans :) Cheers!

botnotbot

10 Nov 2018

artotaku wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I started digging into the archive and it turns out Adam was just as eloquent and knowledgeable* back then -- and using many of the same REs ;) -- as he's going now.

* From my ignorant perspective, at least.

olive6741

11 Nov 2018

Hi Adam! Until now I was unable to watch your streams live (due to no disponibility), but then I watched fully the first one and intend to watch some others, and hopefully your next one in realtime. It's very instructive even though I'm with Reason since version 2.0, we always learn something and it is really great! Especially because I'm the kind of people who is easily stucked in those awful 8 bars loop ;) ! Thanks for it! And I'll probably jump in buying your Europa Relay refill when I'll be able to as I'm very impressed by the way you create evolutive patch in Europa! Very clever! Keep up the good work !

adfielding

12 Nov 2018

botnotbot wrote:
10 Nov 2018
I started digging into the archive and it turns out Adam was just as eloquent and knowledgeable* back then -- and using many of the same REs ;) -- as he's going now.
Haha, not sure if my ramblings could really be considered "eloquent" but thank you for the kind words :) My current RE situation is a little ludicrous these days, but I still have a good selection of older REs that I still absolutely love. In terms of newer REs I've got to say that The Legend is really doing it for me these days - oddly enough, I'd still love to see the rest of the Korg Legacy collection ported to the RE format but I get the distinct impression that it's just not going to happen.
olive6741 wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Hi Adam! Until now I was unable to watch your streams live (due to no disponibility), but then I watched fully the first one and intend to watch some others, and hopefully your next one in realtime. It's very instructive even though I'm with Reason since version 2.0, we always learn something and it is really great! Especially because I'm the kind of people who is easily stucked in those awful 8 bars loop ;) ! Thanks for it! And I'll probably jump in buying your Europa Relay refill when I'll be able to as I'm very impressed by the way you create evolutive patch in Europa! Very clever! Keep up the good work !
Thanks! The next one is this Friday (16th) at 19:30 GMT, so be sure to say hi if you can make it! If you haven't noticed already, there is a free demo of Europa Relay available at http://fieldingsoundworks.com - this includes 10 patches from the full release (which includes 150 patches), so you can get a feel for it :)

adfielding

15 Nov 2018

Next stream is tomorrow (Friday 16th) at 19:30 GMT. Hope to see some of you there!

madmacman

16 Nov 2018

@Adam: Yay, looking forward watching this! :) (But probably only as recorded YT file)

One question regarding your default setup in all videos: If you put your "final" mastering tools in a combinator between mixer master out and audio interface, then it will be ignored when rendering a final audio file, right? So I must change cabeling before doing the audio export?

adfielding

16 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
16 Nov 2018
@Adam: Yay, looking forward watching this! :) (But probably only as recorded YT file)

One question regarding your default setup in all videos: If you put your "final" mastering tools in a combinator between mixer master out and audio interface, then it will be ignored when rendering a final audio file, right? So I must change cabeling before doing the audio export?
Only if it isn't connected properly, or you have the Combinator set to bypass. In the case of the tunes I've been writing during these streams, the Combinator containing the Ozone Maximizer will definitely be included when bouncing to audio unless you bypass it manually :)

If you hook up the master outs from the Master Section to the Combinator's inputs, and hook the Combinator's outputs to the Audio Interface outputs 1 & 2, then everything coming out of Reason will be sent through that Combinator, both during playback and when bouncing to audio. This allows you to add your post-mix effects after the master fader, which I believe isn't the case when using the insert FX in the Master Section - which is why I don't tend to use that.

madmacman

16 Nov 2018

adfielding wrote:
16 Nov 2018
madmacman wrote:
16 Nov 2018

If you hook up the master outs from the Master Section to the Combinator's inputs, and hook the Combinator's outputs to the Audio Interface outputs 1 & 2, then everything coming out of Reason will be sent through that Combinator, both during playback and when bouncing to audio. This allows you to add your post-mix effects after the master fader, which I believe isn't the case when using the insert FX in the Master Section - which is why I don't tend to use that.
Ahh, yes - thanks for clarification! :) I always thought, the bouncing to audio would be a copy of the mixer OUTPUT - but in fact it is a copy of the audio interface bridge INPUT (probably ch 1+2?). Small, but important difference.

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2018

adfielding wrote:
16 Nov 2018
madmacman wrote:
16 Nov 2018

Only if it isn't connected properly, or you have the Combinator set to bypass. In the case of the tunes I've been writing during these streams, the Combinator containing the Ozone Maximizer will definitely be included when bouncing to audio unless you bypass it manually :)

I definitely suggest working this way, if just for overall organization (but also for when adding dither). That way the Master Section of the big mixer is 100% "MIX" related, and everything after the master fader/section is "MASTERING" related. Makes it super easy to bypass all mastering if necessary (to export pre-master versions), check pre-mastering mix levels/balances, and many other things.
Selig Audio, LLC

adfielding

16 Nov 2018

madmacman wrote:
16 Nov 2018
Ahh, yes - thanks for clarification! :) I always thought, the bouncing to audio would be a copy of the mixer OUTPUT - but in fact it is a copy of the audio interface bridge INPUT (probably ch 1+2?). Small, but important difference.
No problem! For what it's worth, if you bounce the Master Section via the "bounce mixer channels" option, this will not include any devices after the Master Section inserts - but it will include any devices contained within the Master Section insert FX.
selig wrote:
16 Nov 2018
I definitely suggest working this way, if just for overall organization (but also for when adding dither). That way the Master Section of the big mixer is 100% "MIX" related, and everything after the master fader/section is "MASTERING" related. Makes it super easy to bypass all mastering if necessary (to export pre-master versions), check pre-mastering mix levels/balances, and many other things.
Totally agree. I don't tend to use the Master Insert FX a huge amount, but sometimes it's handy if I'm having issues with a pre-master bounce. I've mentioned it during my streams before, but I typically keep all post-mix FX disabled when I'm actually working on a track - streams are definitely an exception, as I tend to place less emphasis on mixing & "mastering" as I'm working on headphones anyway.

edit: should have probably taken this opportunity to say "oh hey, don't forget - the stream starts tonight at 19:30 GMT". So... hey. Don't forget - the stream starts tonight at 19:30 GMT :)

selig
RE Developer

16 Nov 2018

adfielding wrote:
16 Nov 2018
edit: should have probably taken this opportunity to say "oh hey, don't forget - the stream starts tonight at 19:30 GMT". So... hey. Don't forget - the stream starts tonight at 19:30 GMT :)

And I should have said "I caught most of your last stream and loved it" - will try to tune in to this one too!
(shameless bump_)
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

botnotbot

18 Nov 2018

How was it? I couldn't make it for the livestream. I've been waiting "patiently" for the YouTube upload, ie checking way too often ;)

adfielding

18 Nov 2018

botnotbot wrote:
18 Nov 2018
How was it? I couldn't make it for the livestream. I've been waiting "patiently" for the YouTube upload, ie checking way too often ;)
I think it went well :) Apologies for the delay in archiving this one, I’ve been out all weekend so I haven’t been able to sort it out. It’ll probably be up on YouTube tomorrow.

botnotbot

18 Nov 2018

adfielding wrote:
18 Nov 2018
botnotbot wrote:
18 Nov 2018
I think it went well :) Apologies for the delay in archiving this one, I’ve been out all weekend so I haven’t been able to sort it out. It’ll probably be up on YouTube tomorrow.

Not to worry, Adam! I debated on posting anything because it's a fine line between expressing genuine interest in something and coming across as an entitled internet baby.

adfielding

18 Nov 2018

botnotbot wrote:
18 Nov 2018
adfielding wrote:
18 Nov 2018

Not to worry, Adam! I debated on posting anything because it's a fine line between expressing genuine interest in something and coming across as an entitled internet baby.
Nah, not at all - I just forgot to post after the most recent one so I’m glad for the reminder :)

adfielding

19 Nov 2018

Last Friday's stream is now available on YouTube, and you can also check out the finished track via Soundcloud and Allihoopa :)

https://allihoopa.com/s/1tvoA65b

I realised afterwards that the LFO pitch drift on the bass patch was waaaaay too much, so I disabled it after-the-fact and made a couple of other minor mix-tweaks. As always, I've made the Reason project file available so if you want to check that out then you can grab it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h7dsjwaf0nkp4 ... eason?dl=0

Next stream will be on the 30th November, 19:30 GMT :)

stephensmattlee

19 Nov 2018

Many thanks Adam. Just catching up on the YouTube video now. Excited to see what directions things head on this latest one [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkTarlton

19 Nov 2018

just wanted to say it's been fun to watch the streams. I was inspired to break out polysix and made a track :)

adfielding

20 Nov 2018

stephensmattlee wrote:
19 Nov 2018
Many thanks Adam. Just catching up on the YouTube video now. Excited to see what directions things head on this latest one [emoji106]
Awesome, thanks for checking it out - hope you liked it! :)
MarkTarlton wrote:
19 Nov 2018
just wanted to say it's been fun to watch the streams. I was inspired to break out polysix and made a track :)
Cheers! I've always got time for a bit of the ol' PolySix ;)

adfielding

30 Nov 2018

Howdy! It's that time again - due to December being a hectic month in general, this may very well be the last stream of 2018. It'll be happening tonight at 1930 GMT. Hope to see some of you lovely folks over there :)

GRB

30 Nov 2018

Hi Adam, I'll try to be there! Its GMT -3 here so it falls in reasonable hours, from 16:30 to maybe 19:00.

I've enjoyed and entirely watched (took some days) your last three ones in YT going back and forward to try to understand what you did

In fact after seeing in your streams I got Polysix and Neutron in BF, so please don't use some $200 synth untill next month! j/k :)
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

• Information