How far we've come...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

08 Nov 2018

Just for fun, I installed Reason 5 on my old beater PC, inspired by it recently getting some decent quality hand-me-down speakers.

Within the first few seconds of launching it I had a few thoughts, like "Where's the SSL mixer?... oh, right..." and "Why are there only like eight instruments?...oh, right... so no rack extensions... jeez, what is this, 2010?" :puf_smile:

Maybe a minimalist, back-to-roots writing session is called for...?

mangoa

08 Nov 2018

That’s an interesting thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yonatan

09 Nov 2018

For me, Reason has meant so much from when they went along with adding audio recording and the great mixer. Just yesterday, I found a list of my old Record song files in a folder, and the joy of being able to open them up in Reason 10.2 is such a blessing. The record files then can be saved as reason song files. If there comes a day when the oldest files somwhat will not be supported in a latest version, for the sake of rewriting the DAW in some way, I would not cry too much, just update the older ones into the latest before the new version comes out.

BRIGGS

09 Nov 2018

try Reason 1.0
r11s

MPS

09 Nov 2018

I've been working with the plugins only available since v2 - mostly because I wanted to know what I could do with the Malstrom, Subtractor and all the effects that were available since then (v1 with just the Subtractor and effects would be a good challenge too) So far I haven't come up with any masterpieces sure, but man I wish I knew what I know now back then when I was around 16 years old!

I could only have dreamt of huge sounds that I was hearing in my favourite tracks back then, but simply had no idea how it was done. One really important thing I wish I knew back in the day was that the Malstrom has those Sawtooth4 and 16 waveforms... It's like the possibilities were all there staring me in the face but I just had no idea how to execute it!

dan_g

09 Nov 2018

i did this thing too recently. i made a favoritelist with just the reason 1.0 devices inside and then "tried" to make something descent. its a pretty fun challenge to give yourself new ideas and directions. then i realized that the 14:4 mixer approach was my favorite thing back in the days without the SSL.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

4filegate

09 Nov 2018

How far we've come...

1. you can learn how to spot wrong answers
2. you can learn a lot from a wrong answer

Anything is possible, and the decision is entirely up to you. The possibilities in the new DirectX version seems to be limited, why do you though your old DirectX version is better?

sublunar

09 Nov 2018

When Reason 1 came out, I lusted HARD. I'm primarily a guitarist/bass/drummer but I always wanted loads of synths and electronic stuff to supplement my gear/skills. It took a long time before I could even find a pirated a copy of a later version, but finally I got it just to see if it was as interesting and fun as it looked and yep, that confirmed it for me. I'd buy it, but the lack of audio recording meant I simply couldn't make my real music with it. So I only played around with it occasionally, just enough to train myself on it for the day that audio recording happened. I continued to wait. It took a really long time...

When audio recording FINALLY became a reality I immediately started planning my transition to Reason, but I knew the first implementation of the first version would probably be fairly weak and possibly buggy. So I didn't rush in. I planned things out and finally jumped in on V6.

Other comparable DAWs might have more bells and whistles but Reason just has that magic. I really get along with it quite well and although there's a few annoyances and features still lacking, it's the only DAW for me.

When VST happened, I was really excited even though I had previously NEVER boarded the VST plugin train. Despite using DAWs for years, I always chose to ignore them, mostly because chasing the newest version of the latest hyped up plugin just didn't appeal to me. I focused on developing my music. I've since started dabbling with VSTs, and tried to start integrating them but I just don't dig em. Rack Extensions are almost all I need.

The ONE exception to my VST avoidance is drum software. Reason's drum efforts over the years have continued to improve.. but they're still not good enough for me. Currently using EZ Drummer, but I honestly hate it. I wish Reason would go ALL IN on a drum RE that could compete with EZD. If they pulled that off, then I would swear off VSTs once and for all.

But yeah, having watched Reason grow over the years and sitting on the sidelines for what felt like an eternity, we've definitely come a long way.

Magnus

09 Nov 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
08 Nov 2018
Just for fun, I installed Reason 5 on my old beater PC, inspired by it recently getting some decent quality hand-me-down speakers.

Within the first few seconds of launching it I had a few thoughts, like "Where's the SSL mixer?... oh, right..." and "Why are there only like eight instruments?...oh, right... so no rack extensions... jeez, what is this, 2010?" :puf_smile:

Maybe a minimalist, back-to-roots writing session is called for...?
Reason 5 has its limitations but they actually can make for a real creative challenge that will generate results you wouldn't necessarily create in the more complicated later versions of Reason...

rgdaniel

09 Nov 2018

I didn't have Reason 5 for very long before before upgrading to 10, as it turned out, but I spent a long time and got a ton of work done in Reason 4 and even 2.5 before that, and it never felt too restricted, especially in version 4, which I think made the sequencer a lot more flexible for me, as I recall, than in 2.5. I'm not sure 2.5 even had time-signature change automation lanes, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly... As an old progger, I loves me some time-signature changes...

fotizimo

09 Nov 2018

I remember printing out almost the entire Reason manual, somewhere around v3 and reading almost every section. Of course this was when I had more of an attention span, and of course before youtube was prevalent.

I love Reason!
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Aosta

09 Nov 2018

Be great to have a song challenge using only the classic free 1001 Malstrom and 1001 Subtractor patches refills.
Haven't delved into those in absolutely years :shock:
Tend the flame

• Information