Goodbye Hydlide?

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
Cultor

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Man. My 8 year old 4-core i7 2600 doesn't even push a bar - maybe 2 - with VK-2 poly patches.
Do you by any chance own the Polymodular System ?
If you do curious what happends when you try the "Epic Plucker" Preset.
Factory bank can be downloaded here: http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/polymodular-system/

That preset alone absolutely destroys my CPU i7- 6700k

Breach The Sky

29 Oct 2018

It's difficult to understand what he is trying to say. In the latest video he come off as being near a mental collapse, or something... A bit concerning, to be honest.
He seems to think that he has a better understanding of the performance issue than the Props? Like this "task force" taking what? Half a year? Working on this "extensive rewrite" isn't going to solve anything. I'm sure it will. They wouldn't put all this time and resources into that project if they didn't think that it would make a serious improvement, right?

Adabler
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

Cultor wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Factory bank can be downloaded here: http://blamsoft.com/rack-extensions/polymodular-system/
I'm from the future. That patch will become the weapon that destroys skynet!
:reason: 12, Win10

chimp_spanner

29 Oct 2018

Can confirm that Epic Plucker uses ALL the CPU. But it's the only patch in the Polymodular library I could find that does. Everything else seems to work okay. Actually never got around to downloading it until today. Some real nice sounds in there. Enough to make me wanna dust PM off and learn how to use it properly. The polyphonic CV system puts me off a little.

Cultor

29 Oct 2018

Adabler wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Cultor wrote:
29 Oct 2018
I'm from the future. That patch will become the weapon that destroys skynet!
:D Thanks for the future warning ! I will keep it save for when the time is right to weaponize this patch :ugeek:

Reasonable man

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Man. My 8 year old 4-core i7 2600 doesn't even push a bar - maybe 2 - with VK-2 poly patches.
Put a scales and chords over em and try again. Then do the same with the pads combi patches . Can you video it ?

chimp_spanner

29 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018

* yes, I saw his 1st videos about i9 performance but they were flawed in that he was using a single polyphonic instance of Expanse and - as everyone is aware, right? - most devices will only use single thread/core, so it's possible to choke a CPU even if it's multi-core; he should probably try Serum or some of the U-He's synths, as they support multi-core processors for separate voices.
Hmm, when I load VK-2 and play a chord it fires up 15/16 cores on my computer

Which patch is that? Be interested to try it here! I can't get that core monitor app working sadly.

chimp_spanner

29 Oct 2018

Don't know if it really means anything; 3 oscillators, 6 note chord, oscillator CPU mode set to high, filter set to normal

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7464jqx7el9t ... 0.png?dl=0

The first bar in Reason is kinda flickering. Seems okay? Obviously if I put the drive mode to medium or high, and the filter to highest quality then yeah it lights up like a christmas tree. But the sound is pretty much indistinguishable to my ears. I could certainly work with it in saver or medium, and then export at full quality if I really needed to. It is a virtual analogue emulation. Bazille does the same in Cubase if I go nuts with it.

*Edit: buffer is at 64 samples, sample rate is 44.1. Hyperthreading off, Multi-Core on.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 29 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Cultor

29 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Can confirm that Epic Plucker uses ALL the CPU. But it's the only patch in the Polymodular library I could find that does. Everything else seems to work okay. Actually never got around to downloading it until today. Some real nice sounds in there. Enough to make me wanna dust PM off and learn how to use it properly. The polyphonic CV system puts me off a little.
Thanks for checking, glad it's not just my computer.
I think I narrowed it down to the Quality switch on the backside of the F-16 filter. When the Quality is set to 1 the CPU doesn't have a melt down.
Ye it's an interesting collection of devices, I haven't created any presets of my own either, the CV system is indeed a bit too complicated for me to enjoy playing with.

Anyway going a bit too off-topic here my bad !

jappe

29 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Oct 2018
jappe wrote:
29 Oct 2018

Hmm good suggestion; no I haven't. I'm using the plug and play driver so assumed default is the accelerated graphics; I'll install the nvidia panel and post results, thanks:-)
Let me know how you get on! I remember a long ass time ago I had to do some mucking around with drivers to get smooth scrolling. Not sure if I ever fixed it or if it just got resolved with a new driver, but always use the full/proper drivers for your graphics! You’ll be missing out if not!
I noticed in the Windows 10 Graphics Settings it was already set to the accelerated graphics (that was the only option for both performance and power save mode).
When I check the windows resource monitor, the Total CPU shows plenty CPU left when scrolling, but checking each core shows that all but one goes to 100% when scrolling. That relaxed core I assume is the one "dedicated" for graphics.

I guess I'll reserve next weekend for a Reason/Windows driver&performance troubleshooting marathon...

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
I increased all the settings in VK-2 6 voices. I would normally have everything turned on low using that synth but maxed it out to show the multicore usage more clearly.

This is my cpu config

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
29 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018

Hmm, when I load VK-2 and play a chord it fires up 15/16 cores on my computer

Which patch is that? Be interested to try it here! I can't get that core monitor app working sadly.
single osc sawtooth with maxed quality settings and 6 voices

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
I increased all the settings in VK-2 6 voices. I would normally have everything turned on low using that synth but maxed it out to show the multicore usage more clearly.

This is my cpu config
Ah, I see. The Xeon E5-2670 is substantially slower in single-thread performance than both of my CPU's:

YIKES.JPG
YIKES.JPG (134.39 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
29 Oct 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Put a scales and chords over em and try again. Then do the same with the pads combi patches . Can you video it ?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

For the record, I don't have cpu problems.. this was just me trying to abuse my computer. 6 note chord per instance of expanse

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018

This is my cpu config
Ah, I see. The Xeon E5-2670 is substantially slower in single-thread performance than both of my CPU's:

YIKES.JPG
I have to be careful of my chains of effects per instrument but as long as I keep that under control I can get a lot of DSP instruments going at once.

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018

For the record, I don't have cpu problems.. this was just me trying to abuse my computer. 6 note chord per instance of expanse
You're using a DX Sound driver in that example video, which doesn't reflect the same performance you should get with a proper ASIO card with low latency. Do you find the performance is similar using your ASIO interface?

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
aeox wrote:
29 Oct 2018

You're using a DX Sound driver in that example video, which doesn't reflect the same performance you should get with a proper ASIO card with low latency. Do you find the performance is similar using your ASIO interface?
Performance with low latency ASIO would be much worse, I keep it on 4096 buffer size with 100ms latency to get the most out of my computer. I understand for most people that is completely insane but I couldn't be happier with my experience in Reason.

Jagwah

29 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Jagwah wrote:
29 Oct 2018
What would happen to someone's Rack Extensions in this case?
REs are tied to your Propellerhead account, so it depends whether they've terminated the account or *just* the Reason license. In latter case, he could still use the demo or even purchase Reason again. In former, he'd loose everything.

But I really doubt Props have terminated anything - from all we've seen so far, they've no right to do so, because if batch & moaning is enough of a reason, I'd have my license terminated long ago... ;) :D
Lol Joey would be the only one left! :D

Jagwah

29 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018
bxbrkrz wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Then it would be logical for him to get a refund for the purchased REs.
Why? He still has those licenses, and if he gets another Reason license, he'll have access to all of them. He (presumably) violated his Reason EULA; not his RE's.
You are assuming that If Props did terminate his account, they are happy for him to buy a new one and then transfer his REs over?

EnochLight

29 Oct 2018

Jagwah wrote:
29 Oct 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2018

Why? He still has those licenses, and if he gets another Reason license, he'll have access to all of them. He (presumably) violated his Reason EULA; not his RE's.
You are assuming that If Props did terminate his account, they are happy for him to buy a new one and then transfer his REs over?
You're assuming Props terminated his account. Revoking his Reason license is completely different (assuming it did actually happen). But sure - if he broke an EULA and had that license revoked, he can easily buy another, register to his account, and have access to all of his RE's. Props don't need to transfer anything - he can authorize them himself in his account.

Faastwalker

29 Oct 2018

Has his license actually been revoked? I don't understand why. And if it was for saying stuff he shouldn't then wouldn't revoking his license just open up the floodgates for him to now say whatever he wants? What has he got to loose if his license has been revoked? I mean I don't think he's breaking any laws by talking about this stuff. I guess he's unlikely to land himself in more trouble other than what he is saying has already happened. All sounds a bit strange to me.

ast3rix

30 Oct 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Has his license actually been revoked? I don't understand why. And if it was for saying stuff he shouldn't then wouldn't revoking his license just open up the floodgates for him to now say whatever he wants? What has he got to loose if his license has been revoked? I mean I don't think he's breaking any laws by talking about this stuff. I guess he's unlikely to land himself in more trouble other than what he is saying has already happened. All sounds a bit strange to me.
I totally agree something just feels wrong about all of this. Mind you after having watched thousands of hours of his videos he is very honest about his experience with this product. All he wanted was to get improved performance from it nothing more. He has spent a lot of time digging into this product. It seems very strange that props would not at least work with him directly. As a hardcore reason user we all get overly emotional about this product. It has been the back bone of our musical workflows for a long time. I’ve never felt this way about this product but I’m honestly starting to feel dated. I went out on a limb and have started learning Ableton. I have been fighting this urge for awhile.. I think deep down inside I wanted reason to be the better DAW acting in complete denial. After just setting up the trial those things that bother me the most in reason I am not experiencing. I have started to finish up the projects I was working on in reason and am prepping for the transition.

Loque

30 Oct 2018

Looks like he lost his license
Reason12, Win10

VariableX

30 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
27 Oct 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
26 Oct 2018

This was ALWAYS peoples main concern about opening up Reason to VST - that performance and stability would suffer. I have to say though, I’ve not seen much difference in performance since the change. Certainly if you’re going to be running some of the more demanding devices. VK-2 brings my machine to its knees on some of the patches. That’s before using anything else! Admittedly I don’t run many VST’s. I’ve only ever had a handful. But I did buy Arturia’s Music Easel V. Amazing plug-in. Runs like a dream in Reason.

I’m running a 3ghz i5 with 8gb of ram and Windows 10 64-bit. So I guess reasonably well specced. But we’re hearing from people with much higher specs that are having issues. So something is going on. Could it be more platform specific, dependent on what devices people are running in Reason? A lot of Mac users seem to be having more of their share of issues.

Would having freeze tracks negate these issues? I think Reason badly needs freeze tracks even if I don’t feel the need for it so much myself. My projects tend to be quite low key. I don’t have a huge number of tracks but often quite a lot of devices. Are freeze tracks pretty standard in other DAWs these days? I know Cubase has had it for along time. Maybe for Reason 11.
Vk-2 is the same for me. The thing sounds fantastic but i kinda think to myself what is the point of it if i can't use it?. The pad sounds are beautifull and yea alot of em use a 6 polyphony but they sound totally different if you start stripping that polyphony away. Sampling into the nn-xt is an option but stuttering with just ONE measely note rules that out too. I wonder if blamsoft and exode could give it a second look.
This really suprises me. I'm using a Dell laptop win 10pro 64, i7 16GB mem (6 months old). Reason is installed on the ssd but all my samples on the hd that only spins at 5000, my audio interface is over usb in a non supported Novation Xio synth, and i can easily have loads if VK-2s instantiated, along with tons of other REs ... and VSTs ive had no resource issues whatsoever maybe three bars on the DSP. Occasionally the audio driver blows up but i just switch it to another driver and back again to reset it and im good to go.....

• Information