New SAW-1 Discovery SawWave Synth in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
motuscott

25 Oct 2018

Found a bug, it's in the manual:
A sense of humor
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

scratchnsnifff

25 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I'm not even gonna listen to the samples, because I might like them but in reality I won't be able to use this synth due to atrocious GUI... Even the skin doesn't help much :(

Sorry, yes I'm a GUI snob and we even have a thread for us... :D
I love this skin! It reminds me of hive or something

I’m hoping to see this developer make some other products :) I’d like to see his take on some non sample based synthesis of sorts 🙃
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

tiker01

25 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
24 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I'm not even gonna listen to the samples, because I might like them but in reality I won't be able to use this synth due to atrocious GUI... Even the skin doesn't help much :(

I have to agree. I'm sure the synth sounds amazing, but I just can't get past the GUI/UX. It reminds me of a random free VST from 2006. :shock: :o

J Chris Griffin should have reached out to Voger Design (the group that did the GUI/UX for Andras Haasz/Pink Noise Maia and Luna, and Reason's own Humana/Klang/Pangea), and paid them whatever it took to make a nicer GUI/UX. :? :( This reminds me of the stuff ScottyM used to do.

J Chris Griffin - if you're reading this, give these guys a call: https://vogerdesign.com/
Come on mate! Don’t be so entitled. Voger costs quite a bit and I have heard that occasionally it can be troublesome to work with them.

✌️

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Loque

25 Oct 2018

EnochLight wrote:
24 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018

I have to agree. I'm sure the synth sounds amazing, but I just can't get past the GUI/UX. It reminds me of a random free VST from 2006. :shock: :o

J Chris Griffin should have reached out to Voger Design (the group that did the GUI/UX for Andras Haasz/Pink Noise Maia and Luna, and Reason's own Humana/Klang/Pangea), and paid them whatever it took to make a nicer GUI/UX. :? :( This reminds me of the stuff ScottyM used to do.

J Chris Griffin - if you're reading this, give these guys a call: https://vogerdesign.com/
I dont think that the one license you maybe gonna buy would be enough to pay this designer... Even if all the guys here raging about the GUI would maybe gonna buy it with a better GUI, would not be enough.

And than other guys would rage about the GUI and others about the higher price...

Always the same procedure...

ezgif.com-optimize (2).gif
ezgif.com-optimize (2).gif (960.34 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Oct 2018

It can be hard to make upfront investments like hiring a UI designer when you don't know what kind of revenue you're going to make back on a project. I don't normally do this in my regular professional work, but for REs, I'm open to working on commission. If you want to talk, PM me!

EnochLight

25 Oct 2018

tiker01 wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Come on mate! Don’t be so entitled. Voger costs quite a bit and I have heard that occasionally it can be troublesome to work with them.

✌️
I wouldn't call it being "entitled"; it's merely a suggestion due to my own observation. If I were being entitled, I would expect the dev to wield to my expectations and then give me a free license. :)
Loque wrote:
25 Oct 2018
I dont think that the one license you maybe gonna buy would be enough to pay this designer... Even if all the guys here raging about the GUI would maybe gonna buy it with a better GUI, would not be enough.
Perhaps, but what about all of the additional licenses that may be sold?

At any rate, it's no sweat off of my back. I'm glad people are liking the RE and wish the dev the best! Cool to see experienced pros in the industry such as J Chris Griffin as a Reason fan. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

scratchnsnifff

25 Oct 2018

i have a question about the oscillator.
i noticed by the oscillator tuning section, there is a blue button that says STEP
what does that do? in the manual it says each parameter and each parameter has a number accordingly.
but the manual did not mention 9-12.
so the Step function is left out? does it have something to do with the step sequencer?

selig
RE Developer

25 Oct 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
25 Oct 2018
i have a question about the oscillator.
i noticed by the oscillator tuning section, there is a blue button that says STEP
what does that do? in the manual it says each parameter and each parameter has a number accordingly.
but the manual did not mention 9-12.
so the Step function is left out? does it have something to do with the step sequencer?
Step is a display. Click on the arrows left or right of the "osc matrix" and reveal the step sequencer. Turn it on and play a note and you'll see an indication of the current step in this display.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

two shoes

26 Oct 2018

I think the GUI is excellent, especially the extensive use of mod matrix panels which are very efficient screen real estate wise. The people whining that they can't use it because their sophisticated aesthetic sensibilities are offended probably drive a Nissan Juke with an aftermarket spoiler. Seriously, the examples put forth as ideals are amongst the worst GUIs in the shop imo, and that's saying something - there's just no accounting for taste.

My only complaint is the price - as a sample based instrument i wish this cost $50 max and had a $35 intro price. This trend where every new RE costs 25% the price of Reason seems a bit silly. I feel like the only REs that should even consider venturing near the three digit price point are developer flagship synths like Expanse, Viking VK-2, Spectra, Oberon, Antidote, etc. Even some of my favorite devs have been guilty of this lately. Props to developers like Synapse who offer high end devices at very fair prices.
Last edited by two shoes on 27 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

26 Oct 2018

two shoes wrote:
26 Oct 2018
The people whining that they can't use it because their sophisticated aesthetic sensibilities are offended probably drive a Nissan Juke with an aftermarket spoiler.
Well now, there's no need to jump into an ad hominem just because you disagree. :lol:
two shoes wrote:
26 Oct 2018
Seriously, the examples put forth as ideals are amongst the worst GUIs in the shop imo, and that's saying something - there's just no accounting for taste.
Meh, taste is clearly subjective.

I really wish this RE the best - it sounds fantastic and isn't terribly priced, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

C//AZM

26 Oct 2018

My buddy had a spray painted synth with cobbled together parts and maybe 3 knobs and the rest were just posts. It was a great sounding custom synth. It was butt ugly. But the sound was superb!

Anybody heard the thing on bass? what's the low end like? Are they fat, thick and round or not?

scratchnsnifff

26 Oct 2018

does anyone happen to love the LP12 filter on this synth???
i got it and the filter is amazing! i hope this developer makes some effects :D
id love to use just the lowpass filter on other synths :D
also a recommendation
it would be nice for this to be a basic wave table synth. i know the marketing is based on samples and just saw waves. but its a fun synth to program and a quick learn for those who know which buttons to press etc.
but i think this developer could do very well if he made synths that have a basic premise but add one or two tricks up its sleeve. like how in the saw discovery synth there is the analog knob, and the in house bit reduction/quantize feature.
i hope this developer makes a wavetable synth. and on one last note. the sequencer would be great if it could just play notes that are played. not just a programable sequence of programmed notes. like how on rob papens synths you can make the arp into MOD or chord mode. where the arp plays, and you can use it for stepped automation patterns :D

antic604

26 Oct 2018

two shoes wrote:
26 Oct 2018
I think the GUI is excellent, especially the extensive use of mod matrix panels which are very efficient screen real estate wise. The people whining that they can't use it because their sophisticated aesthetic sensibilities are offended probably drive a Nissan Juke with an aftermarket spoiler. Seriously, the examples put forth as ideals are amongst the worst GUIs in the shop imo, and that's saying something - there's just no accounting for taste.
I wonder if you're seeing the hypocrisy of your post... And no, I don't drive Juke. It's butt ugly.

Loque

26 Oct 2018

I did not tried to make patches till now, but i like what i hear. Good patches, good sound. There are a few really unique patches and there are alot of patch in general. I easily found what i needed in the synth to modify the patches. The mod matrix is a bit limited, but i alwas say this... The filters are very juicy, the fx are good. If you are into saw synths, this one is for you and there are also some not-so-typical saw synth patches.

It was a good idea to make the song challange. I dont think i had tried this one out now, maybe later. The patches are good and fun to play and there is some instant creativity with the patches. I just can recommend to try this thing out.
Reason12, Win10

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2018

J Chris Griffin congrats on the release!

I have some what of a distaste for sample instruments, I find they lack certain features that draw me to use a synth in the first place. This is a bit different because it fills a cool niche IMO.

The way the saws are detuned and spread sounds very different then what I'm use to. Sounds really good!

splangie

26 Oct 2018

Yep, it sounds good. I am sure I will probably buy it if I can't win a copy.

Loque

28 Oct 2018

From the manual:
SAW-1 Discovery is a sawtooth-only synthesizer. A dual oscillator engine uses vintage ARP 2600 sawtooth waveform samples, along with a few extra synths in waveforms 6 and 7. More on that later
Wat? "Later" in time? Did not found any info about that. What does this mean?
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

28 Oct 2018

great to see my old colleague doing this nifty stuff!

jam-s

28 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2018
From the manual:
SAW-1 Discovery is a sawtooth-only synthesizer. A dual oscillator engine uses vintage ARP 2600 sawtooth waveform samples, along with a few extra synths in waveforms 6 and 7. More on that later
I suppose it means "more on this subject further down (later in) the manual".

Loque

28 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2018
From the manual:

I suppose it means "more on this subject further down (later in) the manual".
As i said, i dint found anything. What does "along with a few extra synths in waveforms 6 and 7" mean?
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

28 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2018
As i said, i dint found anything. What does "along with a few extra synths in waveforms 6 and 7" mean?
I'm pretty certain it is simply referring to the "Oscillator Section" section of the manual (p. 20/21).
So 6 = "...Superstack is layered with saw waves from my other favorite synths. ..." and 7 refers to "The Trinity".

Loque

28 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
28 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
28 Oct 2018
I'm pretty certain it is simply referring to the "Oscillator Section" section of the manual (p. 20/21).
So 6 = "...Superstack is layered with saw waves from my other favorite synths. ..." and 7 refers to "The Trinity".
Yea, that would make sense. Thanks.
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Oct 2018

Taste is absolutely subjective.

Some people simply have better taste than others. 😛

LarsK

01 Nov 2018

Fo' shizzle, I like the sound of this one!
Great job. 👊😎

KIKBAK1

16 Nov 2018

Just found out about this synth from email I got from the props. Taking it for spin & so far I like The GUI & the sounds, finished the first track working on a second one. Im definitely gonna buy this just because its very inspirational.
KIKBAK1.com

• Information