Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adfielding

19 Oct 2018

Fifteen minutes to go! I'll be lurking in the chat beforehand and might drop in a few minutes early to make sure everything's working. See you there!

adfielding

19 Oct 2018

Thanks so much to everyone who made it! Unfortunately my local copy didn't record, but Twitch keep a copy so I'm grabbing that now. I'll be uploading the tune and the Reason files over the next few days :)

adfielding

20 Oct 2018

Last night's stream is now up on YouTube - unfortunately my local copy didn't record for some reason (knowing me I probably pressed the wrong shortcut or something equally daft), but Twitch keep a copy for 14 days so I've grabbed that instead. Quality seemed decent so, hey, problem solved!

If you'd rather just listen to the fruits of yesterday's session, I've got the tune uploaded on both Soundcloud and Allihoopa.

https://allihoopa.com/s/TiPWHJ8T

And, yep, as always - the Reason project file is available if you want to check that out. I ended up bouncing the Polyplex drums to audio, so while I'm still using a bunch of REs I don't think there are any VST dependencies in there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux2kg43oky9cp ... eason?dl=0

I had planned on sharing some Combinator skins that made an appearance in this vid, but unfortunately I seem to have deleted the actual images (d'ohhhhh) and as far as I can tell you can't extract the images from existing Combi patches. It's a little thing, but I said I'd share those and I'm slightly annoyed at myself that I can't. Whoops!

I'll be doing another stream same time next week - Friday 26th October, 19:30 BST (18:30 GMT). Won't be a music-making session, but I'm sure I'll think of something cool to cover :) Might start tackling some of the awesome ideas that have already been thrown my way!
Last edited by adfielding on 22 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Reasonable man

20 Oct 2018

Shamone

Bod

21 Oct 2018

Hi Adam, I was only able to watch the first 10 minutes of the stream live so I'm relieved that you were able to recover it from Twitch.

I find it a great help to see other people's workflow and the the tip of putting Polyplex and the Drum Sequencer in a Combinator was a very good one - so simple that I really should have thought of that myself :)

Just a quick thought - perhaps @MattiasHG might be able to help with extracting your Combinator images?

Thanks for putting the time in and I look forward to seeing more.

adfielding

21 Oct 2018

Bod wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Hi Adam, I was only able to watch the first 10 minutes of the stream live so I'm relieved that you were able to recover it from Twitch.

I find it a great help to see other people's workflow and the the tip of putting Polyplex and the Drum Sequencer in a Combinator was a very good one - so simple that I really should have thought of that myself :)

Just a quick thought - perhaps @MattiasHG might be able to help with extracting your Combinator images?

Thanks for putting the time in and I look forward to seeing more.
Oh yeah, I definitely need to get more in the habit of using patches for commonly used techniques - I've relied on a bunch of utility combinators for a while, but for some reason stopped adding to them a little while back. Super useful :)

If it were possible to extract the backdrops then that'd be awesome - in the meantime I'll do the next best thing and share the Combinators without any devices inside them, so you can drop whatever you like in there and use the skins that way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqqd813auld39 ... s.zip?dl=0

There are patches for Form, Kontour, Monark, and Polyplex, all of which come with Komplete 11 (which is what I'm using, though I suspect an upgrade to Komplete 12 may be in my imminent future!).

edit: oh yeah, forgot to say... I know I said this earlier about the project file...
adfielding wrote:
20 Oct 2018
...while I'm still using a bunch of REs I don't think there are any VST dependencies in there.
...I forgot about Fracture. Fracture's still in there, but that's free so you can grab that if you want. The important thing is that you don't need to own Polyplex to open it up properly.

EsotericSound

21 Oct 2018

Hi Adam,

I was able to catch the program on Twitch. It's good the see you getting back into streaming your workflow.

Have you thought about doing a tutorial/jam using some of your hardware gear? Lately I've been enjoying this stuff from an artist called BURG:

Also, totally loving Archive 02. :)

Cheers!

adfielding

22 Oct 2018

EsotericSound wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Hi Adam,

I was able to catch the program on Twitch. It's good the see you getting back into streaming your workflow.

Have you thought about doing a tutorial/jam using some of your hardware gear? Lately I've been enjoying this stuff from an artist called BURG:

Also, totally loving Archive 02. :)

Cheers!
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I'm currently figuring out a way to get a decent recording above my little hardware setup so I can get some footage of the actual recordings out there. Unfortunately one of the parts I've ordered seems to be perpetually out of stock, so I may need to look at sourcing it elsewhere.

rcbuse
RE Developer

22 Oct 2018

adfielding wrote:
20 Oct 2018
I'll be doing another stream same time next week - Friday 26th October, 19:30 BST (18:30 GMT). Won't be a music-making session, but I'm sure I'll think of something cool to cover :) Might start tackling some of the awesome ideas that have already been thrown my way!
Excellent! I enjoyed the first one, thanks for doing them.

adfielding

22 Oct 2018

rcbuse wrote:
22 Oct 2018
adfielding wrote:
20 Oct 2018
Excellent! I enjoyed the first one, thanks for doing them.
Thanks for checking it out! Looking forward to doing the next one on Friday :)

adfielding

25 Oct 2018

The next stream is still happening tomorrow, Friday 26th October at 19:30 BST (18:30 GMT). My intention this time around is to talk about some of the tricks I sort of glossed over last week, how I use templates to get things done quickly, and general techniques I sometimes use to kick-start ideas quickly.

Hope to see some of you there! :)

Wook

25 Oct 2018

See you, Adam.

two shoes

26 Oct 2018

I just discovered your streams and they're great - keep it up!

Also, if Paul Ortiz or the Maine Jaybird are about, both of your YouTube channels are very much appreciated - really good stuff!

adfielding

27 Oct 2018

two shoes wrote:
26 Oct 2018
I just discovered your streams and they're great - keep it up!

Also, if Paul Ortiz or the Maine Jaybird are about, both of your YouTube channels are very much appreciated - really good stuff!
Thanks! I'm considering tweaking the format (I'll get to that in a bit), but it's great to be back into these.

The latest stream is now available on YouTube if you'd like to check it out. In this stream I go over some points I sort of glossed over during the music making session last week (namely how I varied the track while still using just one block, micro-mixing as a part of patch creation, and some other stuff), and various other workflow and productivity tips.

So... right now I'm considering making the live-streams a bi-weekly thing, mainly so I can focus the streams entirely on music making sessions every other week. The reason behind this thinking is that I think a lot of the stuff I covered in this particular video would suit a shorter tutorial format outside of a stream, whereas I always have a blast with the music making sessions - I think those are more conducive to audience participation as well, which is super fun. Basically, in relation to this week's stream - I love talking about this kind of topic and sharing ideas, but it can come across as a bit dry I think, and I'm not sure it suits the streaming format as well. Maybe as an occasional thing, sure, but not regularly. I don't know, what do you think? Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback :)

In any case - next week it'll be a music-making session. This will be happening on Friday 2nd November, at the slightly different time of 19:30GMT due to the clocks going back soon. If you're in the UK this won't make any difference whatsoever, but if you're not... be aware that it might be an hour later than it has been these past two weeks!

adfielding

29 Oct 2018

Just following up on something I mentioned during the last stream - I'm considering the idea of building an entire track around other users' existing ideas in an attempt to illustrate how I get out of the dreaded "8-bar loop hell", and because it'd be a fun jumping-off point for future music-making sessions outside of the usual "starting from scratch" streams.

As such, if you've got any ideas you're particularly fond of but you've been struggling with for years, and you don't mind me going to town on said ideas... send 'em my way! Probably best to PM me here with a direct link to the Reason/RNS file (depending on how old it is!), and do remember to self-contain all external samples before sending them over. If you're using REs or VSTs, probably best to bounce those to audio before sending them over.

Needless to say I would ask for your permission before doing anything with them outside of the video, and would not begrudge you denying a public release outside of the stream - there is no commercial motivation behind doing this, I just thought it'd be fun to try working with someone else's ideas in a semi-collaborative fashion :)

Breach The Sky

29 Oct 2018

That sounds very interesting! I might consider sharing something, if I dare... (I'm extremely self conscious)

Also, the last stream was very helpful. Keep up the good work! :)

prophecy

29 Oct 2018

Just got Reason this month, so I don't have anything to share yet. But when I do I think this would be interesting. I'll be tuning in.
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

landofbits

29 Oct 2018

can it be more than 8 bars i just love the idea of you messing around with one of my projects !! :)

adfielding

29 Oct 2018

landofbits wrote:
29 Oct 2018
can it be more than 8 bars i just love the idea of you messing around with one of my projects !! :)
Of course! I mainly used 8 bars as an example of what I mean, basically if you've got a good loop or a good groove going but you don't know where to take it :)

adfielding

02 Nov 2018

Bump! The next stream is happening tonight at 19:30 GMT. This will be a music-making stream, which means I'll be writing a track in Reason 10 over the course of a couple of hours or so. If you can make it, I'll also do my best to answer questions and take on board suggestions as I go! If you can't, no worries - it'll be on YouTube at some point afterwards :)

Wook

02 Nov 2018

As always, I'll be there lurking.

adfielding

02 Nov 2018

Wook wrote:
02 Nov 2018
As always, I'll be there lurking.
Awesome, I''ll be starting in about five minutes or so :)

adfielding

04 Nov 2018

Thanks again to everyone who made it to this session, I'm pretty happy with how the final tune turned out! Took a little longer than usual to get the video on YouTube as I've been pretty busy all weekend - also, the stream dropped out entirely at one point, and my local recording didn't record (d'oh) so I had to stitch it together. Not a big deal, there isn't a lot missing but there's a skip around 2 hours in. There's always something, right? :)

If you'd rather just check out the tune, here it is:

I've also uploaded it to Allihoopa in case that's your thing (the stream quality is better here than on Soundcloud, anyway):
https://allihoopa.com/s/WHcD99Sq

You can grab the Reason project file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3886hriqjzw15 ... eason?dl=0

The next stream will be on Friday 16th November, at 19:30 GMT. I will be focussing future streams primarily on music-making sessions, and will be doing them once every other week from now on. I intend to create shorter form tutorial videos in between these streams as well.

stephensmattlee

05 Nov 2018

Sounds awesome Adam, just catching up on the latest stream on YouTube now. Really liking the vibe of this one. Sounds like something that wouldn’t be out of place in a dark futuristic sci-fi movie.
Appreciate all the hard work and always find it so inspiring how fast you get from an initial idea to a fully fleshed out idea with full arrangements. Looking forward to the next one [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrant
Competition Winner

05 Nov 2018

Yeah, this last one was a good track for sure :)

I notice you don't tend to solo stuff much, instead doing most of your changes while listening in the context of the entire mix.
This improves speed a lot compared to my obsessing over little details probably way to early in the process. Inspirational :thumbs_up:

• Information