New SAW-1 Discovery SawWave Synth in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

24 Oct 2018

A new dev "J Chris Griffin" silently sneaked into the RE business:

https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... ave-synth/

And sexy back:

And a skin:
Reason12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

From the manual:

Maintenance
SAW-1 Discovery is designed to resist air-borne contaminants. Potentiometers and switches are virtually impervious to dust and dirt. From time to time, use a damp cloth to clean the front panel and aluminum enclosure. Then stop drinking.

Rear Fan Maintenance

The internal fan has an air filter that will need quarterly cleaning. Simply remove the rear panel, locate the filter behind the fan and gently remove it. Wash in warm, soapy water until clean. Wait until fully dry before reinstalling. Do not reinstall a wet or damp filter as internal damage can result. Actually, if you’ve gotten this far, internal damage has already occurred somewhere.

Service
I can guarantee that SAW-1 Discovery will never fail from an internal hardware-related issue. In the unlikely event you require service on your unit, contact us for instructions. We will ask questions concerning your unit and inquire about current medications.
:reason: 12, Win10

antic604

24 Oct 2018

I'm not even gonna listen to the samples, because I might like them but in reality I won't be able to use this synth due to atrocious GUI... Even the skin doesn't help much :(

Sorry, yes I'm a GUI snob and we even have a thread for us... :D

Loque

24 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I'm not even gonna listen to the samples, because I might like them but in reality I won't be able to use this synth due to atrocious GUI... Even the skin doesn't help much :(

ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif
ezgif.com-optimize (1).gif (1013.09 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
Reason12, Win10

Arrant
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018

I had some of the same thoughts after seeing the first image but the skin looks a lot smoother to my eyes.
Not a GUI snob though, so don't listen to me :puf_wink:

antic604

24 Oct 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Yes, exactly! :D

I know you meant this in reference to my post, but really this is how this GUI makes me feel...

EnochLight

24 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018

I have to agree. I'm sure the synth sounds amazing, but I just can't get past the GUI/UX. It reminds me of a random free VST from 2006. :shock: :o

J Chris Griffin should have reached out to Voger Design (the group that did the GUI/UX for Andras Haasz/Pink Noise Maia and Luna, and Reason's own Humana/Klang/Pangea), and paid them whatever it took to make a nicer GUI/UX. :? :( This reminds me of the stuff ScottyM used to do.

J Chris Griffin - if you're reading this, give these guys a call: https://vogerdesign.com/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

superpop

24 Oct 2018

Nice synth. I'm glad we have a new RE.

And the back panel is beautiful.

tc13

24 Oct 2018

I'm having a hard time trying to understand the negativity on the GUI. To me it looks functional and quite easy to grasp, and not even close to any of Scotty M's designs.

The sound of the synth is very nice (at least it is on the demo videos)

So to state I will not try this because of the GUI is, in my opinion, weird. So many hardware synths and effects out there have strange interfaces but people use them for the sound not the looks.

antic604

24 Oct 2018

tc13 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
I'm having a hard time trying to understand the negativity on the GUI. To me it looks functional and quite easy to grasp, and not even close to any of Scotty M's designs.
It looks like it was cobbled together in MS Paint in 15 minutes. I never said it's not functional or that it's hard to grasp - those are totally different aspects.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

Nice to see a new instrument in the Shop but I feel like I'm pretty set regarding saw producing synths: Expanse, Megasaur, Red70, Zero, Parsec, Kraft, Antidote, Legend etc.
How many saws does one really need? But perhaps this one is different?

tc13

24 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
tc13 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
It looks like it was cobbled together in MS Paint in 15 minutes.
No it doesn't!

rgdaniel

24 Oct 2018

I think it looks fine, maybe a little too bold in the colour choices. I love the humour. More importantly, it looks decently and rationally laid out, which is for me at least a far more important aspect of a GUI, that it actually be usable. If I was still in my "buy all the synths" phase, I wouldn't hesitate.

Loque

24 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Loque wrote:
24 Oct 2018
Yes, exactly! :D

I know you meant this in reference to my post, but really this is how this GUI makes me feel...
I meant this was your feeling as you described it and i understood it. So we met with our basic understanding :-)
Reason12, Win10

Loque

24 Oct 2018

Anybody has an opinion on how it sounds? Is this kvr already?
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

24 Oct 2018

I think it sounds very good! Oscillators sounds huge, and the filters sounds pretty nice and creamy to. I can make similar sounds with another synth, so I don't have a use for it personally.
The GUI is not ok imo. If this really was KVR, it would be slaughtered.

Data_Shrine

24 Oct 2018

They should make the alt. skin the default' one. The contrast is easier on the eyes.

Adabler
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

skins.JPG
skins.JPG (251.08 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
I think it looks okay and sounds good. Lots of patches, download is around 850mb. In any case, very cool to see a new RE dev in the shop!
:reason: 12, Win10

NaviRetlav

24 Oct 2018

There are more than just the two skins there.
Click on the logo to see them all.

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Oct 2018

I like this somewhat, and would buy it if Reason didn't support VSTs. I own too many VSTs that can do this.
I don't like having to scroll through the oscillators and filters, even though there are only a few.
I find that I am struggling getting used to the way things are laid out and that's making me not want to tweak. And the GUI is tiny on my 2K screen.

I can see myself using this synth a lot once I got used to it - but I don't feel like trying to get to know it because of my reasons above.

Love the presets though, especially the bass sounds.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

MannequinRaces

25 Oct 2018

Congrats on the release Chris. Always glad to see a new developer in the shop.

antic604

25 Oct 2018

NaviRetlav wrote:
24 Oct 2018
But they only help a bit. It's the GUI elements that were just badly designed.

Have you heard of the term "programmer art"? It means graphical elements (usually in game) that were created by the programmer to test if the code works, but they're placeholder stuff until the actual artist replaces it. This is how the GUI looks like to me, but - in this case - it's "musician's (graphical) art"

Faastwalker

25 Oct 2018

It's not the best GUI in the World. The lighter one is much nicer. But I think it would look better if all the 'screens' were blue. Not sure why they have to be different. It's pretty well laid out. So they don't need to be different colors to make different sections stand out. I just think it would like nicer if the colors were concise ;)

botnotbot

25 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
25 Oct 2018
NaviRetlav wrote:
24 Oct 2018
While I happen to agree with you that this GUI requires some professional polish before I can really engage the synth, maybe now that you've said your piece, you can leave the thread alone so that the dev can get some feedback from other users?

Saying you don't like something? Right on! Saying it over and over again on the first page of the first thread of a new RE dev's first RE? Maybe not?

antic604

25 Oct 2018

botnotbot wrote:
25 Oct 2018
antic604 wrote:
25 Oct 2018
While I happen to agree with you that this GUI requires some professional polish before I can really engage the synth, maybe now that you've said your piece, you can leave the thread alone so that the dev can get some feedback from other users?

Saying you don't like something? Right on! Saying it over and over again on the first page of the first thread of a new RE dev's first RE? Maybe not?
a) I'm only replying to other posters after my initial feedback
b) my opinion is as valid as anyone else's and - as explained in other topics - a well designed & executed GUI makes a huge difference for me
c) is there some post-count-pool I'm not aware of that I'm eating into and prevent other users from praising the RE? ;)
d) you're not helping quoting my post again, still on the 1st page :P

• Information