Going stock

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

16 Oct 2018

I have decided to make some stock music and sell it on Audiojungle etc. Is anyone on this board into this as well?

I am also considering to sell it via Bandcamp. You make more money that way but I guess the target audiences are at Audiojungle, Pond5, right?

Need to learn the scales to do this. Need to think more commercial than I used to think. Explore new genres also. Interesting. Create populair music. A challenge!

sonicbyte

16 Oct 2018

Hello,

Yes I'm on AudioJungle for several years now, and recently started on Pond5 also... It's a long journey, you have to be very patient, don't expect great results in the short term... however it could be a way to earn a decent amount of money.

Regards

Marco Raaphorst

16 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Hello,

Yes I'm on AudioJungle for several years now, and recently started on Pond5 also... It's a long journey, you have to be very patient, don't expect great results in the short term... however it could be a way to earn a decent amount of money.

Regards
Thanks. I am planning to put it on as many sites as possible.

chimp_spanner

16 Oct 2018

I've never used any of those services. I do bespoke library/production music (which is then actively represented by the company when relevant opportunities come up) but it's hard work. Undoubtedly a numbers game. Hard to keep that enjoyment for the music when you have to develop really robotic methods of writing. Or, I guess you could look at that like a positive thing if you're looking to speed up your workflow and learn new things. It's helped me in some regards, for sure.

Still, I don't do it so much these days as I'm trying to redress the balance between work and creativity. It's nice when it pans out - had a couple of decent licenses. But it's really hard to maintain the output required to have a decent shot. Maybe I'll investigate these other platforms as they might work a bit differently!

PhillipOrdonez

16 Oct 2018

I've thought about it as well as an extra source of income, and attempted a couple of times only to get rejected, but that was about 2 or 3 years ago, I have been thinking about giving it another shot, in fact, one track i made recently was the one that got me thinking about that again, since it is so different to what I normally produce.

Then there is the ghost production route, the are some sites for that as well.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Oct 2018

I consider at least it comes down to this:
- know what kind of stock music is popular and start creating your own music based on these style (I believe creating your own style is a good thing, make it recognisable, make it special)
- upload to as many sites as you can
- promote it very well, promote it on your blog, newsletter, twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube (using still image), in other words: let the world hear about it

I also believe that when I am working on tracks, I can also create sounds which I might be able to sell as ReFills, samples etc. So I will continue creating my own patches and sounds. This might keep the proces of making stuff more interesting since on certain days I can work on the music, on other days on sound design, and on other days on the marketing.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Oct 2018

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Then there is the ghost production route, the are some sites for that as well.
Yes there are related project which can be a spip off of this. Project music for special clients, but I want to focus on stock music. The other things I will consider when they happen, when I get asked etc. But focus is simply on this. Want to make my life a lot simpler than it is now.

jam-s

16 Oct 2018

Are there even people still paying for music when there's abundance with youtube and streaming services?

LarsK

17 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Are there even people still paying for music when there's abundance with youtube and streaming services?
Stock music (library music) is used for tv, commercials, infomercials, movies etc.
Production companies can't go about snatching music from youtube, deezer etc. without paying. So in short; Yes. :puf_smile:

antic604

17 Oct 2018

Ohhhh! I thought this thread was about "going stock" as in making music only with native devices and I was like WTF do those on-line services have to do with it? how do they even verify if the music was done with stock devices?! :lol: :puf_bigsmile:

Stupid me... :oops:

Marco Raaphorst

17 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Thanks to the enormous amount of videos nowadays more people than ever before need royalty music for this. And most certainly on YouTube because if you use somebody's track you will earn 0 money from YouTube. Stock and custom royalty free music is a big winner on YouTube.

antic604

17 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Yeah, I do! :)

https://bandcamp.com/antic604

Marco Raaphorst

17 Oct 2018

antic604 wrote:
17 Oct 2018
jam-s wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Yeah, I do! :)

https://bandcamp.com/antic604
:thumbs_up:

sonicbyte

17 Oct 2018

jam-s wrote:
16 Oct 2018
Yes, also I use a service that track unlicensed music in YouTube so they pay me thru advertise in those ilegal videos using my licenses, I even can make a copyright complain and "take down" that video.

So you are pretty covered about that too

sonicbyte

17 Oct 2018

If anyone needs some tips to start with AudioJungle or stock in general, I can help :)

Regards

demt

17 Oct 2018

hire a leading lady?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jam-s

17 Oct 2018

While I was thinking of mere consumers with my little snarky comment, I think the market for video producers still has quite some potential.

selig
RE Developer

17 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:If anyone needs some tips to start with AudioJungle or stock in general, I can help :)

Regards
I could use anything you got - in the same ship as Marco and others.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

17 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
17 Oct 2018
If anyone needs some tips to start with AudioJungle or stock in general, I can help :)

Regards
Yeah, do share! :)

Zac

18 Oct 2018

sonicbyte wrote:
17 Oct 2018

Regards
Hi, pond5 make it fairly obvious how to become a contributor but on audiojungle's site i found it less so. Do you become an affiliate? Is that how it works? Any help gratefully received.

[Edit] Just signed up on pond5 just waiting for my ID to be verified... but i can start uploading... my work is going to need revisiting in terms of production quality so i want to be working to the right specs.

I have lot of questions but don't want to clog up this thread so the specs of a typical upload of yours would be very helpful! ... 24bit? Mastered? LUFS 23db? Dynamic range? ... thank you in advance!

selig
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

Zac wrote: I have lot of questions but don't want to clog up this thread so the specs of a typical upload of yours would be very helpful! ... 24bit? Mastered? LUFS 23db? Dynamic range? ... thank you in advance!
I would think this is the perfect thread to clog with all these questions.

I’d be interested, in addition to the technical questions, to also hear about the styles that sell the most, the licenses that are the most lucrative, etc.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

18 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
18 Oct 2018
Zac wrote: I have lot of questions but don't want to clog up this thread so the specs of a typical upload of yours would be very helpful! ... 24bit? Mastered? LUFS 23db? Dynamic range? ... thank you in advance!
I would think this is the perfect thread to clog with all these questions.

I’d be interested, in addition to the technical questions, to also hear about the styles that sell the most, the licenses that are the most lucrative, etc.
:)

There's already a lot of info @ AudioJungle, for example https://audiojungle.net/page/top_sellers

En the audio forum for authors: https://forums.envato.com/c/authoring-o ... udiojungle

The cool thing about Stock I think is that many people share experiences. Very openly. I also found this guy which makes very inspirational videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrJoet ... Js2sY_QLKg

sonicbyte

19 Oct 2018

Hi guys, too long to cover, but I'll do my best:

- I publish my songs on AJ for almost 9 years now, however I stopped uploading music a couple of years in that period, and that's the key... If you stop uploading you probably will be "forgotten". My sales dropped a lot if I'm not constantly uploading new and good music.
- The most important lesson I've learned is that stock music is not a race is a marathon. If you think you just upload one or two tracks once in a while and you will succeed is a big mistake.
- Again, you must upload consistently in order to get sales often and to avoid be "burried" in the thousands of songs upload to AudioJungle each day.
- Of course the songs must be good enough too. The approval process has becoming more difficult each year, the bar is higher for certain categories more than others, etc
- I upload songs in many categories from "Tango", "Cinematic", "Pop" to "Dubstep" and all in between... Some authors focus on one category like "Corporate" or "Cinematic"...
- Best selling authors can make A LOT of money with this
- In AudioJungle you have two types of accounts (Exclusive and Non-Exlusive) each with its own benefits and drawbacks.
- I use AdRev to gain money form pirated versions of my music in YouTube (It was surprisingly an effective way of income), but as everything, it has some drawbacks, for instance you can't use AdRev protected tracks in Pond5 and others marketplaces. So it depends with your objectives.

Let me know if have any other questions or I forgot to answer something else

Regards
Last edited by sonicbyte on 19 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Raaphorst

19 Oct 2018

I guess it also comes down to promoting it, right? I can see that when you're not doing anything, nothing new uploading and not promoting it, nothing happens.

And talking about promoting it, how is Audiojungle promoting it?

sonicbyte

19 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
19 Oct 2018
I guess it also comes down to promoting it, right? I can see that when you're not doing anything, nothing new uploading and not promoting it, nothing happens.

And talking about promoting it, how is Audiojungle promoting it?
Yes, but is hard, at least for me... Not everybody are good for self-promotion.. :)

I use twitter, youtube and Instagram... but without any noticeable impact...

BUT one thing you get when you are on this enough time is that people may contact you thru AudioJungle to do custom works. I have done some music for a indie documentary director, a dubstep custom production and jobs like that... That is a good thing you get, some exposure for people "in the bussiness"...

• Information